Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Superstar Winners

slidedog

Wow, Don Adler won!..Surprised Eric didn't. Charlie Crowe third place for a professional but boring performance. The judge were pretty lame. Elliot E is obnoxious, George just acted like the whole show was a joke.. Gabriel was a gentleman and Hooey was the seemed to really care.

Mad at Guitar Player for screwing up the LIVE Stream..Us viewing missed the first 5 performers....I hope you get it together for next year. All us chatting online were very pissed off..

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slidedog and all...

Thanks for the report. Obviously, I was at the Bankhead all day and night helping with the show, so I wasn't aware of any glitches with the Ustream broadcast. This is the first time we've attempted this, and "first times" tend to need a bit of "ringing out problems." The Ustream folks have done some excellent work, but perhaps the technical situation at the Bankhead cause some bumps. I'll do a post mortem with them this next week to determine what happened, and to ensure that future broadcasts are more glitch-free. I apologize for any frustration.

GPGS is a HUGE undertaking, as you can imagine, and the GP staff does it all without an event team, so we're always nervous that something might go south. I think the staff kicked ass at delivering a near problem-free program at the venue.

Thanks to all for watching.

Best,

Mike

What I caught of the show was alright. I thought it was nice to see Don Alder win. George Lynch told it like it is. Thanks George. The problem is that no matter who won, someone is going to complain. I think the results reflect the judges' attempt to please most people or at least to appease them. Do you think no one would have complained if Eric did win? It would be worse.

As a show, it seems you all did a great job. The live feed was only slightly glitchy for me but I think that has more to do with viewer's network bandwidth than anything the production team could have done. I worked in marketing for 7 years. Live anything is a crapshoot.

The panel of judges was varied. A good variety of tech and emotional players. No complaints there. It's tough to argue with a bunch of guys that have built their career on the instrument. They must know something about what they are talking about.

At any rate great show. If nothing else you brought guitar into the spotlight for a night. It's unfortunate that more people weren't available to tap into the live feed. Apathy is a tough thing to beat.

Congratulations on a great job!

Elliot Easton: "Mis Testiculos Esta Engorgada"

Editor boy MM,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you looking into the Ustream. I don't mean to grumble or complaining too much. It's just, that having not gotten into the contest, I was really looking to being there in someone way so I could prepare for next year. I learned a lot from the Judges and watching the 5 contestants that I did see...It was very helpful and got me thinking how to be a better guitar player, performer and song writer for next years contest in 2011..(If you still have one). Please let me know how I can see the entire show...I am sure other players would like to know too...

I understand the the whole Guitar Superstar Contest/Show/Weekend is a HUGE undertaking for all of you and I commend you on the event....Congrats! Slidedog

PS: What happened to Ignacio Di Salvo..Why did Charlie Crowe get placed instead???

Slidedog,

Yes...those judges' comments are quite educational.

We are already looking forward to the 2011 event, so keep evolving!

Ignacio did not read the rules, unfortunately. He lives in Italy, and was not eligible. I had a great e-mail exchange with him, and he was completely okay with everything, and very grateful to be selected. We always choose alternates in case a finalist can't make the show for whatever reason, and Charlie was next in line. Not bad for him, as Charlie took 3rd Place!

Best,

Mike

EB MM,

Thanks for taking time in your busy schedule to answer me!..I thought Ignacio was from Italy and figured that was probably the reason. Nice to know that there will be a next year GPSS contest. I hope the voting/rating system is improved for next year. It was a bit confusing. Some explanation needed next time.

Despite not getting in this year, I enjoyed the process. I had some nice exchanges with other player, and I feel connected with a wider audience. I will keep "evolving" as always and hope to see you next year! Slide On..MM..You are a class act!

A few days ago my friend & ex bass player for one of the bands I play in e-mailed me to brag: "We had a really great gig last night playing the" After Show Party" at the Sapphire (beautiful venue) for the Annual Guitar Player Magazine competition."

Some guys have all the luck!

DC

Archived