Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

40 YEARS AGO TODAY

Bluesape

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the day my former Brother In law rode down to Atlantic City to buy records (LP's) He picked up the The Jimi Hendrix Experience, and said "look at the hair on this ******", He bought the thing because of the hair I guess.

That day I bought the Beatles Sgt Pepper Album and some others. Next trip down to AC I bought The Jimi Hendrix Experience myself after listening to his copy.

Been a fan ever since. He was the stuff back then and still is. I have many of his albums on my MP3 Player, and subsequently burned to CD for the car.

I was 14 when Jimi went away. I had only heard what I could of him on AM radio in my very conservative hometown. I wasn't until I got a few 8 tracks over the next year that I said: "Holy @@##$$! How did he do that?" And I realized what we had lost from the perspective of that era.

It is when I hear the contemporary work of Jimi's peers - Clapton, Beck, Page, Iommi, Townshend, et al - that I really miss Jimi - and wonder what in the world he would be up to had he made it here alive. I somehow know there would be an extra closet required for the CDs - all of which would be sacred in new frontiers of sonic guitarism.

How many totally new genres, how many genres would have been changed forever, what innovations to the physical instrument itself...? Not to mention the things that would defy classification...

It is then that I realize that none of us could ever begin to perceive how things would be different.

And that is the depth of our loss. That he was only just getting started...

Remembering back: Jimi jammed with my group in Montreal at our theatre-type studio in front of approx 50 people after playing a major venue here - booked by my Manager.

Corky Laing was our drummer at the time - a couple of years before writing "Mississippi Queen" and joining Leslie West.

I must say that it was an honour to meet Jimi - he was pretty quiet, very respectful and a true gentleman.

Naturally I sat out the set and watched while he used my amp - we were approx 21 at the time...

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

I, too, wonder what new things Jimi would have come up with had he lived. Yes, I still listen to his records sometimes.

And I also sometimes wonder what would be the reputations of him and Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin, had they not died so young - whether it would be the same iconic status. Not talking about talent here - just perception! Or comparing the three of them....

May Mike Jeffrey's soul rot for having him killed.

???

There was a rumor that the manager Mike Jeffrey had Hendrix killed because Hendrix wanted to know where all the money was going.

It was said that Jeffrey used to go to some Caribbean Island banks with loads of cash from promoters and etc. And Hendrix & the rest of the original experience were not getting paid near what was earned. So Jeffrey had Hendrix OD'd on smack. It was something like that.

I, too, wonder what new things Jimi would have come up with had he lived. Yes, I still listen to his records sometimes.

And I also sometimes wonder what would be the reputations of him and Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin, had they not died so young - whether it would be the same iconic status. Not talking about talent here - just perception! Or comparing the three of them....

I think all three were for their times. I think creativity is mostly in the young, because they have the fire of youth.

I do not think Hendrix or the other two would have gone on to do greater things. They had already done the innovation. And unless they wanted to step back , lose all the wealth and gain back the hunger for success, I think they shot the wad and it would have been down hill from there, especially with the drug and alcohol use. Just look at all of the rest of their peers who are still living, none of them have that iconic status they had when young.

Yes, that often happens when people are successful before they mature (speaking in general here!) - they lack perspective and it all goes to their heads. And not just in music - think of athletes and kid movie stars who piss away all their money and die broke! A damn dirty shame..........

I DO think Hendrix might have gone to do other creative things, though - if he didn't let the record company keep from him it! From what I read, he and Miles were considering recording together - that might have been interesting; it might ALSO have been a disaster, LOL....

Fire of youth? Yes, it's important, but there have been people who continued to be creative for lots longer than that!

I have to respectfully disagree with desertbluesman on the Jimi having 'shot the wad.' It is well documented in several of his biographies that Jimi was very interested in branching out from his blues idiom playing. He was trying to get together and jam with Miles Davis, which collaboration could have quite possibly opened up new and inspiring territories for Jimi. He was also very keen on learning to read music. He is said to have commented to close associates that his growth as an artist hinged on his growth as a "trained" musician. Yes, Jimi did drugs. But, more importantly, his music was his only true addiction.

Man, I can't believe I missed this one. I remember the day quite well. It was a beautiful late summer day in Northwestern Ontario where I grew up until I received the news. I was devastated. I skipped school the rest of the day and went home stunned. I had been playing for 3 years by this time but didn't touch either my electric or acoustic for days after. I really believe that if he had lived he would have made more great music, perhaps in fusion. Drugs man.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Archived