Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any Kurzweil PC2 users??

bourniplus

Hi there,

has anyone ever been able to load the .mid files available on Kurzweil's site (gmram.mid and the electric pianos file) on their PC2? I have the orchestral expansion installed and working.

I can play the keyboard with the sequencer on my laptop, but somehow I can't send the files into the PC2.

any help would be appreciated

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that with the PC3 I'm able to load a midi file into the sequencer, but any sysex data isn't transmitted out.

Your best bet is to post about this on Sonikmatter in the PCxx series forum. You should get an answer fairly quickly.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

The sequencer you're using to playback the MIDI file into the PC2 might be the source of the problem. I've installed both expansion cards myself over the years and never had a problem using Windows Media Player to transfer the MIDI files. On the other hand I was never able to get Sonar to do the transfer successfully.

Larry.

I have a PC2 and PC2X - have updated the OS on both (added Classic Keys ROM to the PC2). Not only is the MIDI file sysex, the PC2 cannot accept it if the segments are fed too quickly, or without the right amount of space between them.

Using a computer with XP and the original Windows Media Player, I've always been able to load it. Can't load it successfully from either Cubase or Sonar.

When you download the files from Kurzweil, in the zip file, there should be a text document that gives their recommended way of loading - Media Player is their Windows recommendation. The interface is somewhat finicky, some MIDI adapters for the computer may also give problems. Method of loading OS was one of the very best improvements made in the PC3. Upgrading the boot loader itself gave me the most trouble on my PC2X, which came to me with ver 1.00 OS. Loading all the program files takes about 25 minutes.

The GM file definitely can be loaded, I have it loaded in the user memory space of my PC2 that I use at church (don't use it often, but it is there if I want it).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

wow, I am more confused than I was. I can't figure out how Windows Media Player could send those files to the PC2... I don't find any midi options in there. maybe I'm just dumb.

by the way I've already RTFM but it's very unclear about the procedure.

anyways thanks for the help!

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

Yes - in order to feed the MIDI signal usefully, you have to change in Control Panel so that MIDI is routed to the hardware MIDI outs instead of the default Microsoft soft synth.

Also, from memory, I had to diddle with the level control on Windows Media Player. Doesn't make sense, since MIDI is a digital signal, but it seems like too high a level causes some sort of artifacts that cause the PC2 not to receive correctly.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived