Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Means of Improving Action on Cheapie All-in-One Keyboards?

BlackandWhite

I'm looking for a light, portable, keyboard with a wide range of decent sounds for me and my son to knock around with. One candidate is a Casio WK-3800. However, as with most of these Costco-type kbs, the plastic key action is pretty awful. Does anyone know of a way to improve the action on these? By "improve," I mean to render less awful. :laugh:

Thanks.

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As an incurable smartass, I love the replies, but your best bet is likely to look on eBay or CL for something used that meets your both your criteria and budget.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I'm looking for a light, portable, keyboard with a wide range of decent sounds for me and my son to knock around with. One candidate is a Casio WK-3800. However, as with most of these Costco-type kbs, the plastic key action is pretty awful. Does anyone know of a way to improve the action on these? By "improve," I mean to render less awful. :laugh:

Thanks.

Mr. BlackandWhite, that's a great question!

It seems to have an answer where the compromise in finding what you want is thwarted by its own design.

What I mean is that for $200 / $400 range it's tough to find a keyboard that meets all the following:

* it's cheap

* it runs on batteries or AC power

* it's self-contained (built-in speakers)

* it has authentic voices - particularly acoustic piano

* it has weighted action that feels somewhat close to a real piano

* it's lightweight

* it's small enough to carry without much hassle

========================================

Chances are that if you're spending two or three-hundred dollars, you'll be able to find a new Casio or Yamaha keyboard that fits most of the criteria above. Spend a little more though and you can get a Casio Privia (for instance) that has a good weighted action, good acoustic piano sound, and built-in speakers.

Unless you MUST run on battery power sometimes, and unless you don't have the extra room to set it up, for a little more money you can get a LOT more keyboard - one you will be satisfied with for a much longer period of time. And, when you finally put it on Craigslist to sell it, you won't have a problem.

I bought a Casio WK-200 at Best Buy for $200 a couple of months ago.

For what it is, it's a lot of bang for the buck; it's small, lightweight, self-contained, has a decent acoustic piano voice, and even runs on batteries. It's portable. It's $200.

But if I had to do it over again, I think I would spend the money and get a Privia.

For example, $420 gets you a Casio Privia PX-130 from Amazon.com. And that's only $20 more than the Casio WK-3800 you're considering.

Good luck.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

You usually can find Privia's real cheap on used on craigslist.

I recently saw a PX-320 for $200, great piano sounds and 250 sounds total with a great action.

Actually, I'd argue that the 'great piano sounds' didn't show up until the PX-n30 series (PX-130, PX-330, PX-830, and now the PX-3). The 320 sounds were... ummm... not great.

Thanks for the replies; I now understand why we don't have get-togethers, the way guitar forumites do. :wave:

I think I'll buy an even cheaper all-in-one kb, take it apart, and see what can be done with the action. Worst case, I'll post the gasoline-and-matches vids...

Thanks for the replies; I now understand why we don't have get-togethers, the way guitar forumites do. :wave:

I think I'll buy an even cheaper all-in-one kb, take it apart, and see what can be done with the action. Worst case, I'll post the gasoline-and-matches vids...

It seems like everyone was having a bit of fun with this one, but their points are that there's really nothing you can do. Let's say that you actually take the time to take the whole keyboard apart, replace each spring with heavier ones (and where are you going to find them?), and glue weights to the undersides of the keys.

That still doesn't solve the fundamental problem that all cheap actions have - namely that they are too short from end to pivot, which means that it's impossible to get consistent velocity responses when you are playing.

Good actions have become more and more affordable over time. It wasn't too long ago when you couldn't get a fully weighted controller for much under $1000. Now you can get fully weighted pianos for half that.

take the whole keyboard apart, replace each spring with heavier ones (and where are you going to find them?), and glue weights to the undersides of the keys.

Ah, some suggestions. Thanks, Bill.

Good point about the pivot point/length; hadn't thought of that.

Archived