Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

acoustic image focus amp just blew!

Phil W

Haven't gigged with it since last November because of all the carpal tunnel and house rigs and then just setting it up to teach bass (in a few minutes) when it just blew!

The cab is connected, the master volume was on zero, the voltage slider is on 230V (the correct one for here) and there may have been a small pop and a small flash (not sure) and it isn't switching on. There was a very small smell of burning too!

The internal fuse looked undamaged. I changed the fuse in the power cable and tried again, this time there was a small pop and when I checked the fuse it was now completely gone.

I have a house full of fuses but none of the little miniature glass fuses that the Focus takes. And I'm worried that these tiny amps are more difficult to repair!

Any ideas, I've already emailed Bob Gollihur. Will try to call Acoustic Image tomorrow.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bob really helped me out. A new fuse didn't get the amp working but I rang Acoustic Image. They have been brilliant. I just have to mail it to them in the States and they will repair it in a couple of days and fedex it back! Musical instrument manufacturers have so much better customer service than other companies! I have had such positive experiences with companies like Acoustic Image, Wal and Steinberger and stores like Bob Gollihur's and The Bass Gallery in Camden.

Sorry to hear that your amp blew up, Phil. But it's good to hear that Acoustic Image is working with you to get your amp fixed. So are you without an amp for the time being, or do you have something else that will stand in for the time being?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Well, they have a house combo at church and then I'm rehearsing with the new jazz trio but we'll have to either rehearse at the pianist's where I can share his amp or use a rehearsal studio. The only issue will come if I get offered a gig somewhere there is no house rig but Acoustic Image say they will get it back to me within days anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Kudos to Bob as well as Acoustic Image for such a quick turnaround time. Glad to hear you got your baby back, Phil.

So having been through this process, what are your thoughts on having another amp that you can use just in case something unforeseen like this might happen again?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Kudos to Bob as well as Acoustic Image for such a quick turnaround time. Glad to hear you got your baby back, Phil.

So having been through this process, what are your thoughts on having another amp that you can use just in case something unforeseen like this might happen again?

Yeah, if I was making more money from music at the moment I would consider that. At the present time I have a couple of regular places I play that have house rigs and I have an old GK combo at work that I could bring home for lessons or small gigs if I had to.

Now there's a thought. The speaker in the GK is problematic...maybe I could just use the GK as a back-up head!?

• 2 weeks later...

I know the shipping was expensive, but it was a known cost. If you had a different type of amp, you might have had to bring it to a shop where the cost could be anything.

Solid on AI's part.

Glad it worked out for you!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived