Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XK1 New or Used?

Stu McHopton

Hi there, question for those in the know on the Hammond Xk1. Does anyone know if there have been significant upgrades to the unit over the last two years? The heart of my question is whether it is worth it to buy new or save the +/-$400 and buy "slightly" used. The one I am looking at is about 2 yrs old with no scratches seller wants $1,100. Thanks to all of the knowledgable people here.
Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think any upgrades have been made. I just bought a gentlu used one for $700.00, a price which of course I don't expect to see again any time soon. By the way my brother kust bought a XK3C for 1400.00. That really made me mad that I missed it. So it pays to look conatantly at Craigs list.

Regards,

No problem with mine. I paid a bit more, buying it from a friend in need. I didn't bargain him down because I know him and he was having trouble with his mortgage.

I don't think there are firmware upgrades, but my recollection is that the XK-3c might have an update mechanism due to the Compact Flash card slot (one of the big reasons, among many, that I plan to upgrade to the XK-3c by end of year)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Stu, where are you located? Mine will be put on offer to this forum before eBay, once I get an XK-3c. That might be REAL soon, as I'm selling a lot of stuff right now and can assume the XK-1 funds would come in real fast after the XK-3c purchase. :-)

I have all the original packaging so shipping is not a problem, but I generally feel it is best to buy and sell keyboards locally when possible, as they are among the most fragile of instruments.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Mark, I am in the Boston area so not too local, and I agree if you can deal locally it can certainly save some headaches. If you do not find a local buyer please let me know. I will update my profile info shortly. (I think it is out of date and may not be set up for private messages. ) Thanks.
Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

I'll be in Boston 7-12 October visiting family and friends, but there's probably no advantage to using the airline/flight as the cost is probably greater than standard shipping (geesh, they practically charge you now for wearing a coat on board!).

I just bought my XK-3c tonight, so my XK-1 is available, but not until after the XK-3c arrives and I've had a chance to port over my three custom settings (that's as far as I had gotten so far in porting my B4 II custom settings to the XK-1).

That won't take very long as the XK system is quick to navigate and there aren't many parameters unless one is going real deep beyond what the front panel offers directly.

You might still be better off looking locally first, as a 40 lb keyboard (plus up to ten lbs of boxing weight) is not cheap to ship after all the recent rate hikes.

Like they said, the XK-1 is the Gateway Drug to the XK System... :-)

Thanks for the support, guys.

I prefer to buy new. Often times, sellers bought early and paid MAP price, or bought from the big Internet stores and paid close to MAP. The only way I would consider any used instrument is if its in like new condition. If it was moved or gigged, it would have had to be moved around in a good quality case to avoid bumps and bruises or I would not be interested. I have also seen the big internet stores sellling "B" stock for a higher price than what I can buy a new one from dealers I have worked with for years.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived