Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I just renewed my subscription to Keyboard Magazine...

ITGITC

This is the second time my subscription has run out with no renewal notice. It just stopped coming. Or so I think, maybe it got delayed in the mail.

I can understand how sending out the renewal cards can get a bit expensive, but maybe an email letting me know it's about to run out.

Hard to keep track of when you subscribe for multiple years.

Time to renew, I guess.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep an eye on the mailing label, that tells me when the subscription is up.

However, renewal notices would be nice. Remember how pushy magazines used to be about renewals? I suspect they're in a catch-22 now, can't spend the money to send out the notices that would get renewals that would pay for renewal notices...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Anybody remember Jesus Jones' keyboardist on the cover in '91? Whatever happened to them?

Oh yeah... wasnt' he the dude that used a D-50 'cause it would withstand the bashing he'd give it? :facepalm:

Actually it was a D5! You're right, as Iain Baker said, "What a position to be in - stuck behind this unwieldy piece of crap!"

Then again that issue had an article by Tom Coster and a feature on Phillip Glass' tour. What a mix!

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Sven, your right! At $12 a year, at that price it can't be beat. I spend more than that on Pepsi in a week! Now if they would just get the September resources added to the website! I read the issue and the links for additional information are dead for weeks.

http://keyboardmag.com/sept2010

http://keyboardmag.com/oct2010

IIRC we had the September "More Online" links page up by mid-August. Can anyone remember being unable to access them? Wanna know!

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I've been a subscriber since the 70s (my first subscription ever, as a teenager). I have almost ever issue, recent issues are in a bathroom cabinet, most recent in my back pack, all others in bins in the garage. My wife was telling me earlier this week that "we are not moving all those magazines to our next house." My reply: :thu:

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Yeah, $12 will hardly pay for a decent lunch these days. Some of my beefs about the mag is that there is not much in there that really interests me. The reviews are a bit too short, and the lessons are usually pretty lame. I'm a hardware guy, not all that interested in soft synths.

I certainly understand why KB MAG will feature young artists, they have to grow they subscriber base because us old people are dying off. That's one way to clear out your subscriber list!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Charter subscriber here. I'm a current subscriber too.

In between, I've been a subscriber almost all along. I only let my subscription drop for a few years during the eighties when I was mostly on the road. Even then, I bought Keyboard at newsstands, grocery stores, or wherever I could find it. :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I've been a subscriber since the 2nd issue (Herbie on the cover). I still have all the older issues, but have recently started to throw away the newer ones - the mag has changed - is much thinner, reviews are much less in depth, etc., but I still look forward to every issue. In the "old days", I depended on it greatly to keep me informed...

I'll say the content has greatly improved recently, and I will continue to subscribe as long as it's printed (and I'm still around)! It has been, and hopefully will continue to be a resource to depend on. Back in the day - there was very little info. on "Contemporary Keyboards" as it was called back then. Steven Fortner is doing a great job keeping it alive and viabe in this age of digital information!

PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

Just re-upped for two years. This forum is worth the price of admission, in and of itself. My first issue was Tony Banks (1978...I think). I recall drooling over an ad for the Farfisa V.I.P. 600!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I too wish the magazine was thicker, but we all know printed publications are struggling and add to it tougher economic times and this is what you get. I don't fault the magazine and editors for that. I think they do a good job considering the various types of keyboard players out there and the different things each of us wants to read.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I just pulled the trigger. At 3 Aussie dollars per copy it was a no-brainer. They are $15 in the shops! IF you can find one amongst the tonnage of GUITAR based publications.

My wife may be less happy...mainly because I tend to accumulate magazines. When we met in the mid-eighties I already had 10 years worth of mint issues :-D most of which I've given away apart for some 'key' examples (eg "Beauty in the B").

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

Hmmmmmm 75 USD for 3 years. I'll probably take the plunge. That's less than three issues bought on the newstand.
Kawai MP7, Kurzweil PC361, DSI Pro2, Streichfett, Nektar P6, NI Maschine Studio, KMI QuNeo, Eventide H9, Zoom MS100BT, VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Arturia BeatStep Pro.

Archived