Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chickenfoot

Delta

I saw them in concert last weekend at South Lake Tahoe at Harvey's outdoor venue. Pretty standard rock and roll fare. Joe was competent but didn't play anything earth shattering. I was pretty far from the stage so I wasn't able to observe anything as far as gear goes. He played two guitars- his red JS and a white one with black stripes- probably another JS. The good thing was that other than the last two songs Sammy Hagar didn't play guitar at all. He actually played a solo that I could have bettered. Joe's rythmn playing was spot on which I guess for a player of his caliber isn't difficult. The opening act was Sammy's son's band and they rocked pretty good. They played a couple of old Montrose songs which cooked.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a live Blu-Ray of Chickenfoot. I haven't watched the whole thing yet but it seems pretty cool so far. They do Bad Motor Scooter and before it Sammy does some lap steel playing that isn't ground breaking but works well.

The thing that suprised me was Michael Anthony's bass playing. I was never really impressed with what he did with VH but he was doing some nice stuff on this Blu-Ray. Maybe he was "ordered" to do nothing but thump eigth notes in VH?

Satch is Satch and Sammy is Sammy so you et what you get. I love Satch's playing and can take or leave Sammy's singing (its pretty good for hard rock) and lyrics (not too much intellectuallizing going on there). I do wish that Will Farrel brought more of the Chili Peppers funk to Chickenfoot :)

I have not been knocked out by what I've heard so far.

IMO Joe and Sammy might be pals but they don't fit musically-

Sammy's singing would be better served by someone like The Cult's guitarist-forgot his name... or maybe Slash. And Joe is on a short leash, he needs a singer with a more expressive range.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

The thing that suprised me was Michael Anthony's bass playing. I was never really impressed with what he did with VH but he was doing some nice stuff on this Blu-Ray. Maybe he was "ordered" to do nothing but thump eigth notes in VH?
I finally came to the conclusion that Michael Anthony's role in VH was backup singer. Awesome harmonies! As a bonus he also played bass. And yeah, he probably had to leave a lot of room for EVH.

Archived