Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender MIA jazz bass 5 string

b5pilot

I've got GAS bad for a jazz bass. I miss my old one. I want a five string. Maybe the perfect companion for my ol' Guild pilot. I have yet to get my hands on a Fender MIA jazz 5 either the standard or the deluxe. I've tried the other models, the MIMs and the Squier line, but The American ones have a narrower spacing at the nut than the other jazz 5's I've tried. Any opinions on the feel of that narrow spacing? How are these and are they worth that big price tag? Is it worth saving for?

I know there was a post about jazz basses a while back but I'm having very little luck with the search feature.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as string width, the American and Mexican standard and deluxe models all have the 1.875 nut width, at least according to Fender's site. Some of the artist models are narrower.

The Squier Deluxe 5 and the P Special 5 have the 2.008 nut width.

The Affinity 5 I played with a bit, I liked the feel of the neck, the strings weren't that close. I would have got that one over the deluxe if the pickups were more dynamic.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Shoot Mike you're correct. They are 1 7/8 nut width across the board. Must have been a typo at the guitard center web site as they were posting it as 1 5/8". :blush: that's what I kind of based this thread on, DOH! thanks for the correction!

So in a way that's good as I did like the feel of the more budget concious jazzes including the affinity. The Squier deluxe sounded really good but the neck felt a bit wide and the fingerboard felt a bit sharp on the edges which also made it a bit uncomfortable. Can you sand that Ebonal fingerboard?

I guess now it's just a matter of how much do I want to mod vs how much do I want to spend outright.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived