Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Sonny, Ornette and Roy

Dana.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a testament to how powerful the music is, it keeps you young in heart and spirit.

A friend just played a gig in Chicago with multi-instrumentalist Ira Sullivan. He said Ira at 79 still has the enthusiasm of a 25 yr. old kid.

Awesome!

Anybody know what Ornette's quoting at 3:43 and 8:27? Sounds familiar.

It sounds like Ornette is just doing his signature fragmentary melodic lines - I don't believe they are quotes. Just the way he plays.

Sonny goes into an Ornette bag himself near the last part. Sonny can play lines that would sound corny if another sax player tried to play them. His tone pulls everything off in a big way.

What a historic treat to hear those 3 together. Thanks for posting it.

Man I've heard two out of the three this year (Sonny and Roy) and they're still amazing and playing with fire!!!

Couldn't see the post anymore, as it has been removed!!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Awesome!

It sounds like Ornette is just doing his signature fragmentary melodic lines - I don't believe they are quotes. Just the way he plays.

I thought about it a bit more, and there was a recording of a Bach Prelude that he did with Prime Time that I was introduced to in a jazz history class in college. I listened to that song to death. I think that "quote" or something similar was also in that Bach piece. Though you're probably right that it's an Ornette original.

Awesome!

I thought about it a bit more, and there was a recording of a Bach Prelude that he did with Prime Time that I was introduced to in a jazz history class in college. I listened to that song to death. I think that "quote" or something similar was also in that Bach piece. Though you're probably right that it's an Ornette original.

Hey, you could be right. It's just that those points on the video sounded like major scale type lines found in a lot of music, which Ornette uses a lot. And he has a way of playing things that sound like you've "heard it before", which is something I like about his playing. In the past, I listened to all his recordings and he rarely quotes, but sometimes he will...

On his original recording of the song "Turnaround", he solo starts with a blatant hilarious quote of Rodgers and Hammerstein's "If I Loved You" overtop of the blues progression.

Speaking of hilarious quoting, did anyone do it better than Dexter Gordon?
No one better. Except... I do have an old friend (unknown guitar virtuoso) who is the King Of Quotes. I'd say nobody else comes close. :) His solos are about 30%-60% quotes from every source imaginable. If I get an audio, sometime I'll post an example.

Speaking of Dexter and quotes reminds of the time I heard him at the now long gone "Concerts by the Sea" in Redondo Beach on the pier there.

It was '79 or early '80 and I'd just moved to LA and I was in awe of the all people that came through. Blakey, Phil Woods, Freddie, Tommy Flanagan to name a few.

I chose to attend opening night of a week long run with Dexter, I was also a big fan of George Cables who was playing with him then. So it's something like 8:15 and no Dexter. The trio finally got up and played a few tunes. At around 8:40, Howard Rumsey, the famous club owner, gets up and says, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I regret to inform you, there has been a slight problem in communication. Dexter should be arriving within the next 15 minutes".

Turns out he flew into LAX late, he was coming from another gig. :facepalm: He was driving by himself and not used to driving a car. :cry: Somehow he got the directions messed up (he probably was...nah ;) ) and started heading North up PCH towards Malibu instead of South to Redondo. :laugh: He gets there about 9:00 straight up just as the Trio is ready to break. He doesn't even take off his coat and the band launches into his signature (at that time) "It's you or no one". The packed club is going crazy, people are yelling and screaming when he starts blowing. Right off he starts quoting "If I only had a brain", "The Fool on the Hill", "Do you know the way to San Jose", it was brilliant. I think they played for another half hour straight. The rhythm section guys were about ready to keel over. What a great night.

It's just that those points on the video sounded like major scale type lines found in a lot of music, which Ornette uses a lot.
I see. To my ears, that lick sounded "classical" music-ish, which is probably why I associate it with that Bach prelude.

I do have an old friend (unknown guitar virtuoso) who is the King Of Quotes. I'd say nobody else comes close. :) His solos are about 30%-60% quotes from every source imaginable. If I get an audio, sometime I'll post an example.
Please do!

Great story, Dave. :thu:

+1

Archived