Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is it safe to use keyboard stand?

justified

I'll bite and provide some sort of, hopefully, common sense answer. Even if the stand is inappropriate, I don't think your keyboard would just all of a sudden snap in half (even though it is an m-audio). I would think that if there was some support problem, you would see some visible signs (i.e. bowing/bending). If you see such signs, you might want to consider that as a warning for things to come and provide other support. If not, you are probably safe...

at least until such time as you play a note/chord that is disharmonic with something played by the bass player causing the aforementioned resonance issues, which would cause the molecules in the high end of the keyboard (above middle C) to rapidly spin in a clockwise direction, while the molecules in the lower end (below middle C) (don't even ask what happens on middle C itself...it's just not pretty) to spin in a counter-clockwise direction, causing the keyboard to spontaneously combust.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
at least until such time as you play a note/chord that is disharmonic with something played by the bass player causing the aforementioned resonance issues, which would cause the molecules in the high end of the keyboard (above middle C) to rapidly spin in a clockwise direction, while the molecules in the lower end (below middle C) (don't even ask what happens on middle C itself...it's just not pretty) to spin in a counter-clockwise direction, causing the keyboard to spontaneously combust.

I will not admit to dropping acid in the seventies... but this paragraph - well, that's the first thing that came to mind. :laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I will not admit to dropping acid in the seventies... but this paragraph - well, that's the first thing that came to mind. :laugh:

Well, if you did...and that's a big if, I hope you picked it up. If you had better support (i.e. did not use an x-stand), you probably would have never dropped it in the first place. :rimshot:

Well, if you did...and that's a big if, I hope you picked it up. If you had better support (i.e. did not use an x-stand), you probably would have never dropped it in the first place. :rimshot:

That was a nice joke!

And by the way thank you Garrafon for meaningful (1st half of it) reply. (2nd part was good too but for another reason).

Why do I get the feeling a regular contributor is opening up new accounts lately and posting questions guaranteed to elicit the predictable responses?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Nope it's not google translator just my poor english, thanks for letting me know about my english language level.

Obviously your comprehension skills could use some help. :thu:

Luckily you don't have a legal right to "officially declare" anything of this level though.

A legal right, huh? Oooooookay. :facepalm:

And yes, it would be possible to answer the question by myself by disassembling my midi-keyboard and looking inside, kind of thing that I actually I don't want to do and google image search didn't help me either.

Let me suggest something, hopefully you can keep up. You bought an M-Audio Axiom 61 keyboard. Your worried that using it on an X-stand is somehow unsafe, that the keyboard might somehow structurally fail because you're not supporting it in the middle.

1) Did you check the M-Audio website and user forum for such a warning?

2) If this was somehow the case, you probably would have found a reference to it somewhere on the Internet, don't you think?

3) If this was a problem because of X-stands, one would probably see far fewer of them in use, no?

So, whether or not I have a "legal right", in this case, I'm declaring common sense dead. Sue me.

OK, then.... There is one instance - speaking from direct, personal experience - when the stand would likely 'scissor' open, drop to a height of about 6", with the keyboard following closely behind. But, the scenario would require a few critical factors to be present for this particular result to occur: 1) a somewhat light, portable stage (i.e. - folding table style, with legs in the 10" - 16" range, made up of flimsy, interlocking connectors; 2) Two to three, front line band members who like to jump up and down - in time to the beat - for several choruses of a rather driving, rock tune; thus causing the stage to bounce, the stand to bounce and 'scissor' up and down on its' center bolt, and the bolt to then shear in half - resulting in immediate stand failure, and likely damage to the keyboard and its' peripherals.

Other than that, or a similar scenario, I'd say the OP's setup is safe as is. But, beware of large men mistaking a stage for a trampoline :taz:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Howdy, Moe.

Your bi-line intrigued me. "chain saw.... KC amp.."

I was just starting to look around for a decent set of performance monitors whilst I currently own a solo KC550. It is a little heavy in the bottom end for my taste (and others who have heard it), but I bought it. It does kick butt!! - I will say.

Nonetheless, I am playing gigs at nursing homes and seating is rarely over 100. Is there a better - no wait - what is a better system through which I can better expresss a Yamaha M08? It is a stereo keyboard. I have about $600 bucks.

What do you think?

Thanks

Walt

So is it ok to use it without an additional board to support the middle part?

Y'know, I've thought the same thing myself.

Not so much with a 5-octave keyboard, but with longer ones.

I don't think a 88-note keyboard will break in half by using it with, for example, an X-stand. However, I wonder if there have been reports of problems with keys in the middle octaves rubbing together over time.

So far I've heard no reports of this. Ever.

So I'm asking...

Anybody ever had this problem?

Is it worth considering a stand that supports the keyboard across its length and not just on its ends like the X-stand design?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Sven: "Oh, I understand why you said what you did, Joe... but aren't you frightened to death that someone with an engineering background would post a thread like this? I know I am..."

I knew a few engineering folks back in college and I swear everyone one of them lived the mantra:

Last year I couldn't spell Engineer, now I IS one!

Don't be surprised. Jarheads of the technical world.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Tom - A keyboard on an X-stand is usually not being supported on its extreme ends.

In your hypothetical case the issue isn't the strength or support of the stand but the stiffness of the board itself. Most keyboards are essentially box girders with a space cut out for the key-bed; more than capable of supporting their own weight across their length.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

justified, don't sweat Sven, he can be a bit harsh. Take his criticism for what they are: someone who doesn't like to see a question that hasn't been thought through. I have to say that although I don't say anything, often I find I agree with him (not necessarily in this thread) as, quite often, people will start a topic that has been beat to death because they don't search through the forum, or google a simple question.

Anyway, somehow I doubt an X-stand would be unsuitable. In fact, aren't all stands somewhat the same in the way the board is supported i.e. with two ends supporting the board? That would mean NO keyboard stand is suitable (or very few), which strikes me as silly.

Yeah, but there are "legs" in the middle of keyboard so it's fairly logical to assume that it should be supported in the middle.

Even though my question could sound silly, actually even it IS silly, imo it's not a proper reason to express such a hostility and irritation as the guy you mentioned did.

Anybody ever had this problem?

Only on the Korg Oasys 88 key model.

Some guys went for the Samsung 60" plasma monitor option, and it tended to bow the board when people played Elton or Billy.

When Elton or Billy actually played, it got downright dangerous, and was cancelled.

You can check on Danipedia.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I don't think a 88-note keyboard will break in half by using it with, for example, an X-stand. However, I wonder if there have been reports of problems with keys in the middle octaves rubbing together over time.

IIRC, the Kurzweil PC88 when first released had issues with bending in the middle which affected the keys. I have some old Compuserve (!) forum discussions about that on some 3 1/2 inch floppies somewhere.

And didn't the Ensoniq VFX have some issues with the aftertouch in the middle octaves due to pressure in the center when placed on certain stands? Like the aftertouch wouldn't stop. I seem to remember comments about this too.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Archived