Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is it safe to use keyboard stand?

justified

Hello everybody!

Maybe a silly question, but is it safe to use a keyboard stand for 5-octaves midi-keyboard (I have Axiom 61)? There are "legs" in the middle part of keyboard but it's not supported by keyboard stand there. So I worry that it can bend or even break. So is it ok to use it without an additional board to support the middle part?

Here's a little illustration of what I'm talking about.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/5369/standg.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't sit on it like Jerry Lee, but unless there's more gravity on your world it should be A-OK.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

If you don't want to put a board under the full length of the thing, you could try some wood strips running along the front and back.

Don't feel too bad. I haven't moved off X-stands yet but am headed that way.

If you're not gigging heavily, I imagine the M-audio would continue to serve you well.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Sure, there are some on here that will bust your stones, but they are bitter, broken men, driven to the brink of madness by one too many requests for "Gimme Three Steps". Have mercy.

-John

I make software noises.

Thank you John!

If you don't want to put a board under the full length of the thing

That is what I did before, but now, when I've learned to play a little bit faster, the stand started sway back and forth, if playing tempo resonates with inner resonating frequency of the stand+board+keyboard system. When I removed the board everything became much less shaky, but I worried if Axiom can withstand everyday practicing. I searched the internet but couldn't find an answer, so I saw like there's quite a few experienced keyboardists here who probably know. :)

BTW, welcome to the forum. Sure, there are some on here that will bust your stones, but they are bitter, broken men, driven to the brink of madness by one too many requests for "Gimme Three Steps". Have mercy.

-John

:sick: OUCH! :D

:taz::rawk:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I use two X stands. 'Course, I don't have any friends. :(

:poke:

I've found you don't need friends as long as you're standing behind the keyboard.

It's when you have to leave that position and mingle that frightens so many of us. :o

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

when I've learned to play a little bit faster, the stand started sway back and forth

You should learn to play a little bit better then. Find a teacher, learn proper technique... it's a keyboard, not a drum kit.

Thanks, I should learn to play better for sure. But I'm afraid it won't work in this case: I actually don't hammer keys and play pretty soft, it's just a resonance.

I have just asked is this a common practice to use X-stands without any additional support with 5+ octave keyboards?

I have just asked is this a common practice to use X-stands without any additional support with 5 or more octave keyboards?

Then the answer is yes. Although I prefer a Z-style stand, I've used an 88 key weighted keyboard weighing 40lb on an Ultimate Support, double-braced X-stand with no problem. Don't cheap out on a low quality lightweight single-braced stand. Double braced stands are more stable and they're worth the extra money.

Here for the gear.

when I've learned to play a little bit faster, the stand started sway back and forth

Friends don't let friends use X Stands.

Mr. Bitter, Broken Man

I use two X stands. 'Course, I don't have any friends. :(

:poke:

I only use one X stand, and have people around me that SAY they are my friends ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

You should learn to play a little bit better then. Find a teacher, learn proper technique... it's a keyboard, not a drum kit.

Thanks, I should learn to play better for sure. But I'm afraid it won't work in this case: I actually don't hammer keys and play pretty soft, it's just a resonance.

I have just asked is this a common practice to use X-stands without any additional support with 5+ octave keyboards?

Justified,

Your language makes you sound like an engineer, am I wrong? :)

I don't think you'll have any problems, but are you standing or sitting? If you are sitting, consider standing and raising the board and narrowing the spread of the X stand arms. If you don't want to stand consider a high stool.

Regards,

Joe

Justified,

I sure hope you're wrong... I would expect an engineer would be able to answer this question for himself, and know enough to solve the "problem" without posting on a forum. :facepalm:

Perhaps you are right and maybe we will see, but it is this language that I am talking about:

resonating frequency of the stand+board+keyboard system

This reveals an understanding of mechanical vibration. Of course it might just be a coincidence. :idk

Regards,

Joe

Justified,

I sure hope you're wrong... I would expect an engineer would be able to answer this question for himself, and know enough to solve the "problem" without posting on a forum. :facepalm:

Perhaps you are right and maybe we will see, but it is this language that I am talking about:

resonating frequency of the stand+board+keyboard system

This reveals an understanding of mechanical vibration. Of course it might just be a coincidence. :idk

Regards,

Joe

Oh, I understand why you said what you did, Joe... but aren't you frightened to death that someone with an engineering background would post a thread like this? I know I am...

I'm praying it's someone that did a Google translation from another language to English.

If not, I'm officially declaring common sense dead and buried, and preparing for anarchy and the fall of western civilization.

Oh, I understand why you said what you did, Joe... but aren't you frightened to death that someone with an engineering background would post a thread like this? I know I am...

I'm praying it's someone that did a Google translation from another language to English.

If not, I'm officially declaring common sense dead and buried, and preparing for anarchy and the fall of western civilization.

Perhaps he is a chemical or electrical engineer and doesn't have the necessary statics background to attack this problem. Putting on my mechanical engineer hat for a second, I would recommend screwing the keyboard to the stand with some hefty #12 zinc-plated sheetmetal screws with locking barbs under the head. But that's just me.

DRD

BTW - there's lots more disturbing signs of the end of western civilization than _that_ question. We just had a book-burning in the USA for the love of Pete!

What if you're using the "drum" patches on the keyboard? Then is it ok to play like a drum kit? This simply is a question I never had reason to ponder before today....

Nope it's not google translator just my poor english, thanks for letting me know about my english language level. So, alas, your prayer left unheard by whom you prayed to. Luckily you don't have a legal right to "officially declare" anything of this level though.

I'm not an engineer just have some physics school background from childhood, maybe stil have this "physic" way of thinking.

And yes, it would be possible to answer the question by myself by disassembling my midi-keyboard and looking inside, kind of thing that I actually I don't want to do and google image search didn't help me either.

Archived