Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: It Was Seven Years Ago Today...

Chad Thorne

I'm trying to quit smoking, but my wife still has her smokes around the house.

I quit smoking while my husband was still lighting up. I've been smoke-free over 20 years now and don't miss it a bit. He, however, still has the nicotine monkey on his back. Having a smoking spouse makes it harder but also helps steel your resolve. Hang in there.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quitting smoking is the single best thing you can do for your heart. Positive results begin to show after one day. Patch, gum, sheer stubbornness. Whatever it takes just do eet!

You'll also find it simplifies your life in many ways (Where can I get cigarettes? I need cigarettes. Where can I smoke? When can I take a smoke break? WHERE ARE MY CIGARETTES???) as well as saving you a pile of cash.

Push the button Frank.

Quitting smoking is the single best thing you can do for your heart. Positive results begin to show after one day. Patch, gum, sheer stubbornness. Whatever it takes just do eet!

You'll also find it simplifies your life in many ways (Where can I get cigarettes? I need cigarettes. Where can I smoke? When can I take a smoke break? WHERE ARE MY CIGARETTES???) as well as saving you a pile of cash.

All so true! I had been a 2-pack-a-day smoker for 18 years. I took the "sheer stubbornness" route. Felt like I was going to simultaneously fall asleep and jump out of my skin for about 3 weeks. It got incrementally easier after that initial detox phase, however. Like I say, I don't miss them at all. I gained 10 pounds, but they say you'd have to gain at least 50 pounds before you put yourself at a comparable health risk. I got a lot of support from a Robert Klein video about quitting. Seek help if you need it. No shame there.

Quitting smoking was the best thing I ever did for myself. And, with the price of a pack of cigarettes these days, I don't know how people can afford to smoke. 2 packs a days is about $300 a month. That's $3600 a year. That would buy a pretty nice bass...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

And, with the price of a pack of cigarettes these days, I don't know how people can afford to smoke. 2 packs a days is about $300 a month. That's $3600 a year. That would buy a pretty nice bass...

I just did some ciphering from our latest Visa bill. Funky White Boy (aka Mr. Funkslap) let $411 go up in smoke last month. Gotta talk to that boy. Not sure it will do any good, though...

I tried tobacco at age 15, didn't like it at all, and never took up the habit.

For a few years though, I DID like the "wacky tabaccky..." LOL I haven't done that in years, and am glad I'm not around it.. yes, I WOULD be tempted. But I don't go around looking for it... or acid, though I liked it as a kid... but even then, I "dropped" it only occasionally. I knew guys who ate it like candy... too rich for MY blood, LOL!

Never tried heroin (knew better even as a kid) or ecstasy or crack... I have enough problems, I don't need that stuff in my life!

Well, I smoked weed a few years, then realized, "You know what? I can be stupid all by myself, no chemical assistance necessary." Cocaine - too expensive and just way too undignified, with a bunch of well-dressed white people kneeling around a coffee table snorting lines up their noses. Please. A lot of acid around when I was in high school, but I feared my fragile mental/emotional state wouldn't weather it well, so I avoided it. Still think that was a good decision.

This reminds of a time I was out for a walk one night and this kid asked me if I wanted some "boozookee" or something like that. When I asked him what that was, he said, "cocaine" like I was the world's biggest moron. So we never spoke after that.

I know a "bouzouki" is a Greek stringed instrument, which some of those guys play very well indeed; and that a "bazooka" is an American instrument.

Archived