Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

They don't get old!

whitefang

You know the songs...the one or ones that you can listen to over and over again and not get tired of. When they're over, you find you wished they were longer.

They don't really have to be your favorite songs, but for some reason, regardless their age, these tunes never get old...

For me they are,

"Low Rider"/War: I can NOT hear this without cranking it up! If I'm playing it on CD, I hit the "repeat" mode and let it go until someone else puts a stop to it.

"Love Shack"/ B-52's: I did wedding photography for 10 years, and every DJ played this like clockwork and for some reason, I never got tired of hearing it. And I don't even LIKE the B-52's!

"Dreidle"/ Don MaClean: Not one of his most well known, but I just like it!

"God, Love and Rock 'N' Roll"/ Teegarden and VanWinkle: A really good drive to it, and over way too soon.

"Tempted"/ Squeeze: Another "repeat mode" kind of tune for me that I just can't get enough of.

"Back In '72"/ Bob Seger: Probably 'cause I'm from, and still live in Lincoln Park!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a good topic!

"One Thing Leads to Another" by the Fixx; Awesome rhythm guitar, groove and arrangement.

"Ain't Got Nuthin' But The Blues" by Robben Ford. This is a Duke Ellington cover off of Ford's "Talk to your Daughter" album. A classic in my book. Love the instrumental Revelation, too.

"Since you Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson. (I know, I know here come the trolls) Sounds like a million bucks, great guitar hooks and great vocals

"Welcome To Bucketheadland" by Buckethead One of my favorite guitarists riffing over a killer groove. Pure bliss on his Giant Robot album released by Sony or CyberOctave

"Lemon Song" Led Zep Probably doesn't need any explanation but this is an amazing groove John Paul Jones: OMG and the band is amazing

"Things Can Only Get Better" by Howard Jones...not one of my favorite artists but I can't turn this song off it comes on. Same with "Always Something There To Remind Me" by Naked Eyes.

"Everybody Wants to Rule The World" Tears For Fears-my guilty pleasure.

"Going Down" Freddie King-That freight train groove grabs me every time

"I'm Burning For You" Blue Oyster Cult-the turn-around with harmony guitars hits me like a mack truck.

"Crying" Don McClean-to me, incredibly out of character for him but he sings it so well...

"In The Dark" Billy Squire-I can't not listen when it come on.

"Communication Breakdown" Led Zep-ditto

There are so many like that. Those are just the ones I can think of. I've been blessed by music for as long as I can recall.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

I think "Ain't Got Nuthin' But The Blues" was penned by Mose Allison. Great tune.

Smokey Robinson's "Tracks Of My Tears" is one of the finest vocal jobs of all time.

Luther Allison's cover of "Just As I Am" always grabs me.

Ray Charles' rendition of "America The Beautiful" always takes me back to 9-11.

Of course, most things by Jimi are immortal...

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Oh yeah, Stairway to Heaven comes to mind. Some just get played out. I suppose if it is a cover it depends on how it is done... and there are some amazing songs that can get butchered by uninspired performances...and I suppose that is a matter of opinion.

I may have spelled it wrong with "nuthin'" vs. "nothin'" but the Robben Ford cover is of Duke Ellington song with lyrics by Don George. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ain%27t_Got_Nothin%27_But_the_Blues

Here's a great live version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8HEC5wKWW0

Same song: on the album Allison is listed as the author.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Some do get played out. Back in '68, due to the popularity of the movie "The Graduate", Radios around here played "Mrs. Robinson" like every 15 minutes! That was 42 years ago, and it took 20 of them until I could stand to hear it again! And I started out LIKING it!

Whitefang

Voices of Babylon from The Outfield

Man of 1,000 Dances, Mr. Mister

Most of Journey's first three CDs

Assorted older things from Sonny Fortune or

Noel Pointer-fusion done right.

Oh it gets worse

Catch Me I'm Falling, Real life-no guitar at all but I like it.

I Can't Wait, Nu Shooz-same as above

Dr. Feelgood-if yer feet ain't tapping better check-

they may not be attached.

Strange Dreams, Frank Marino-of course-highly recommended for those who don't know his work

New Age Music, Pat Travers-of course

Southern Cross, CS&N

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I must beg to differ. After listening to a "classic rock" oriented station for several years - one with an -extremely- short playlist, I've heard the same three dozen songs over and over and over again. I'm getting to the point that I don't want to hear them any more. I've switched to a classical station. Perhaps in a couple of years Zep, Floyd, Hendrix, Stones etc will sound fresh...

I may have spelled it wrong with "nuthin'" vs. "nothin'" but the Robben Ford cover is of Duke Ellington song with lyrics by Don George. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ain%27t_Got_Nothin%27_But_the_Blues

Here's a great live version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8HEC5wKWW0

Same song: on the album Allison is listed as the author.

Okay, probably an oversight on the record company's part or something like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_to_Your_Daughter

Extreme - Mutha (Don't Wanna go to School Today) - Hi gain grooves from Nuno and huge hooks.

Temple of the Dog - Hunger Strike/Say Hello 2 Heaven - Screaming along with Chris Cornell never gets old.

Dream Theater - Pull Me Under/Another Day/Take the Time/Surrounded - these are the first four songs on Images and Words - if I could only listen to these four songs for the rest of my life, I think I'd be OK.

I must beg to differ. After listening to a "classic rock" oriented station for several years - one with an -extremely- short playlist, I've heard the same three dozen songs over and over and over again. I'm getting to the point that I don't want to hear them any more. I've switched to a classical station. Perhaps in a couple of years Zep, Floyd, Hendrix, Stones etc will sound fresh...

I'm with you -- I need to take a break from classic rock -- but I'm listening to a variety of things instead of solely classical.

BTW, after decades of classic rock dominating the airwaves, what's the #1 radio station here?

Sports/Talk. :eek:

#2? New country. :freak:

Back in the early '90's, I'd listen to our local "classic rock" station on the way to work. Every morning for the better part of a year, whenever they said "Here's one from the Guess Who", it would always be "No Sugar Tonight"! Hey, what about "Saskatoon"? What about "Albert Flasher"? "Raindance"? Why ALWAYS probably their dumbest song? They did the same thing with Spirit. It was ALWAYS "Nature's Way"! With so many other, better options available! After not listening to the station for many, many years, I tuned in about a month ago. The DJ said, "Here's a tune from Guess Who", and, yep! "No Sugar Tonight"! Arrrggghhh!!!

Whitefang

Extreme - Mutha (Don't Wanna go to School Today) - Hi gain grooves from Nuno and huge hooks.

Temple of the Dog - Hunger Strike/Say Hello 2 Heaven - Screaming along with Chris Cornell never gets old.

Dream Theater - Pull Me Under/Another Day/Take the Time/Surrounded - these are the first four songs on Images and Words - if I could only listen to these four songs for the rest of my life, I think I'd be OK.

Take the Time is my favorite DT song. Classic rock stations have done themselves a great disservice. They all seem to have a very short playlist and have just about killed the songs they play over and over and over and over and over...

On that note I'd like to add Janis' "Bobby McGee" to the list of songs that never get old. I love her voice.

Several songs by The Police; "Can't stand losing you", "So lonely", "Hole in my life", "Walking on the moon", etc. Their early stuff had so much energy, and they (Sting), just wrote great songs.

"Listen" by Toad the wet sprocket. Not really a big fan, but I love this song.

"Life going by" by King's X. My favorite band of all time. This song was playing the first time my son kicked, while still inside his mama.

"Magic Bus" by The Who

"I wish" by Stevie Wonder

"Always on the run" by Lenny Kravitz

"Worthy is the Lamb" by Planet Shakers

"Cynical" by Extreme

"Hallowed be thy name" by Iron Maiden

Painkiller - Judas Priest

the whole British steel album

Rust in peace/Polaris - Megadeth

Balls to the wall - Accept

Sultans of swing - Dire Straits

Funky Music- wild cherry

Moonlight Sonata..yes i really do

Over the rainbow

Spiderman theme

Get Smart Theme

Jesus Left Chicago- ZZtop

hell! make that the whole Tres Hombres album!!

`Creepin` and `Smile, Please`, Stevie Wonder-in fact I think they are both from Fulfillingness` First Finale, that whole album is awesome.

Almost anything from U.K.

Couldn`t recall the title of that second song, thus the edit.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived