Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dream Theater

Cygnus64

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll just say this.

I am never, ever, ever going to post any of my playing on this board.

Ever.

Haha! :)

Putting your music out there means dealing with praise and criticism. If you can't handle the criticism, then don't put your stuff out there.

Everybody is a critic; everybody is a music expert. For every guy that likes what you're doing, there's probably 20 that either don't care or think your music sucks. Such is life.

Without resorting to the infamous live JUMP clip, post what you consider some of Eddie's wankery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAm7-Ao9UQc

Man, Poundcake is your example of wankery??????? Where????

You could sing that solo. Great riffs throughout.

3:54 - best part of the whole song.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

VH III was a travesty

I blame Mike Post for that.

I do too, but maybe not in the way you think.

When they released the album, they had a radio show to promote it, and EVH said he loved the way Post worked with them. He would basically show up once in a while, ask if everything was okay, and split.

I'm not a believer in micromanagement, but we all know that the production of music benefits from outside ears and perspective, and that's what a producer does. You'd think Post would have helped them create catchier tunes.

P.S. Ian - thanks for that agreement. I've had these thoughts for years, and when I say them to most people, they just look at me blankly. Probably because they aren't the music geeks we are. :laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Love 'Portnoy leaves Dreamtheater' turning into an EVH appreciation thread. Entirely valid and thoughtfully meandering thread of musical discussion too. :cool:

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Tony, you beat me to it. I was just thinking about referencing "Fair Warning" as Van Halen's "soul" album. Eddie's groove on this whole record is a perfect example of why he is not lumped into the "wankers" category.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Hey guys - unless it's appeared in a previous post(s), which I don't remember seeing,

this thread has just invented a new word in the English language..... ie: 'wankery' :D

My hands are tired from practicing all afternoon (on my keyboards, that is!) so I looked up 'wankery' online

in the Oxford English Dictionary, & it doesn't exist (yet).

SO - well done fellas..... our work is done here :thu: !!!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Without resorting to the infamous live JUMP clip, post what you consider some of Eddie's wankery.

No, you're probably right, the whole drill gimmick wasn't really wanking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0XLKcMoXRE

That's wanking. Through and through. ;)

No, you're probably right, the whole drill gimmick wasn't really wanking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0XLKcMoXRE

That's wanking. Through and through. ;)

Yep, but the difference I see between Messrs. Van Halen and Petrucci is that the former almost always looks like he's having fun and looking for chicks, the latter looks like he's trying to impress the guitarists in the audience. I've never had the sense that EVH felt he needed to prove himself.

As always, YMMV.

I don't know, Mr. Golly. As much as I like EVH's work, sometimes it seemed like he was trying to invent a new gimmick. "What's next after two-hand tapping? Power tools? Playing with my teeth - oh wait, Hendrix did that. Hmmm."

Fortunately, he didn't use the drill for the whole song. It was fun, and the rest of the tune rocked as usual. :thu:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

What was especially stupid and annoying about that was that Eddie said that Michael was already in Sammy's band, and "you can't be in two bands." :facepalm:

What was especially stupid and annoying about that was that Eddie said that Michael was already in Sammy's band, and "you can't be in two bands." :facepalm:

What a great segue into the OP.

Portnoy, even after leaving DT, is still in at least 3 other bands... ;)

He also knows when to dig into the flash, and when to lay back.

Sorry but I disagree. EVH has stated in the past that he couldn't play with keyboard players. EVH simply overplays and he doesn't like other musicians stepping on his toes. Michael Anthony's bass tone was always constricted to make room for EVH, and when Chickenfoot was starting up Sammy Hagar was struck at the improvement of Anthony's tone which got bigger because EVH wasn't around anymore.

EVH may be an innovator, but he does not work well with other musicians.

Music is the language of emotions (like someone said) and telling a story. DT just can´t do any of that

I really tried, but couldn´t listen trough a whole record with them

And honestly, watching Portnoy spit massive loogies that can be seen from 70 rows back is no treat.

If I were them, Id call Terry Bozzio.Id go see that, and give them one more shot with my CD allowance.

Went to a Sabian drumfestival like 10 years ago. Portnoy was doing his bullshit drumclichés AND of course that ridiculous spitting-thing...

THEN came Mr Talent, Terry Bozzio and totally destroyed him, just by playing MUSIC on his drums!!! ´Nuff said.

Would be VERY surprised if a deeply emotional and musical guy like Bozzio would join Dream Theatre.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I think there's a difference between musical wanking, and watching videos that make you wanna wank.

That drill bit was right out of DiPalma's Body Double....

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

He also knows when to dig into the flash, and when to lay back.

Sorry but I disagree. EVH has stated in the past that he couldn't play with keyboard players.

I was only talking about as far as himself and the song, going between rhythm/main riff and lead. You're right about him with other players though. I have a live recording of him playing with MJ on Beat It and you can tell he doesn't know what to do with himself during the rest of the song. (Could be defined as "wanking" :D )

In other words, Eddie is the one that "can't be in two bands." :laugh:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/EddieVanHalen.jpg
Hard to believe EVH and I are about the same age.

http://home.comcast.net/~dannylgriffin/img/pianodan.jpg

We are the same age in these photos. You revere him?

Even for his music?

I know we all have different tastes in music, but I wouldn't pick an EVH CD out of the gutter much less pay money for it.

But that's just me. We're all different.

Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

O/T Hi Gryphon - looking good. You need to tell EVH who does your hair.

Back On Topic: This is the keyboard forum and a Dream Theatre thread. All this guitar and drum talk. It's not fair to say that Jordan is a "soul-less note-fest" maestro because he is in a band with Petrucci.

It's fair to say that because of the way he plays.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

O/T Hi Gryphon - looking good. You need to tell EVH who does your hair.
Any local barber for $15. Seriously, what man wears long hair (besides cartoon characters) since, oh, let's be generous, 1985. That's 25 years ago.

YMMV, as I'm sure it will.

Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

Hard to believe EVH and I are about the same age.

Yah, but that is a pretty lousy picture. He was probably high on something and drunk.. He looks a lot better these days, with short hair.

http://www.fretbase.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/eddie-2.jpg

Are you sure that's EVH and not Tommy Emmanuel?

www.kungfuguitar.net/photo/tommy%20emmanuel.jpg

I notice the tremolo arm (whammy bar for the youngsters) has plucked his jeans.

Liking the gel on his hair. Think they'd let him on the X Factor (American Idol)?

"So your name's Eddie. Nice gel. What song are you going to be singing for Mr Cowell tonight? Hot For Teacher? One of your own? Great. And this song - it's based on a real teacher? Not your guitar teacher? Right. A school teacher? Ok. And is she here tonight? She's retired? Really? When did you write the song? Oh. So ... how old are you? Ah. No, I recognise you now. You've had a hair cut. Ok, let's hear it ...

... stop, stop - when does the singing start? You can't sing? Neither could that Satriana man that was here earlier - what was he called - yes Joe. He gave it his best shot though. Said he had a single out at some point. Try something else. What's that? A song about a volcano? Ok, let's hear it ..."

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Archived