Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fun last night

Ross Brown

I played my first open mic last night. My wife sang, my son played drums and a kid from the neighborhood played guitar. We got three songs. We did ok. One song fell apart nicely. Strange beat and I didn't help anything with my bass playing. Wife just sang through it like the pro she is. Other two songs were better. not great, but better.

We practiced once since they were songs these guys had never heard before. I thought the guitar player was going to puke....

My goal was to keep my wife in front of a microphone and enthusiastic until we reform our band. I also like playing with her fronting a band, even if only for three songs. My son is a competent drummer and did a nice job.

I am not sure how many of these I will do but it was fun....

As a side note, a fellow Lowdowner RalphM was there playing as the house bassist. He made me look ridiculous. He is a master. Nice guy too.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
congrats. my band is doing an open mic in November and it will be fun since we are working on quieter stuff like Neal Young's Out on the Weekend. I'm envious your son will play with you. My son plays guitar and refuses to play with me, even to jam at home--too embarrassing.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I can't see anything.... just get a facebook page and I am a facebook idiot...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Not a bad plan, Ross. I think open mics/jams are great for people in between bands.

IME the only people who go to open mics are musicians who want a few minutes on stage (and maybe any friends they've brought with them). With any luck you may find your missing pieces in the audience and you don't have to worry about scaring the general public away from your potential fanbase.

I don't see the logic of having the neighbor kid play guitar if there's a house band. (I can see bringing your kid along just for the family time, even if it may make it more difficult to attract any drummers in the audience.) Maybe they were a package deal?

I've played open jams where the entire "band" was cobbled together from individuals in the audience. The key is to be (or know) the singer, as this person will dictate what songs the band plays up there on stage. Next time try going with just you and the Mrs. If there are no takers from the audience the house band is your safety net. (Stick to standards and/or easy stuff, like 12 bar blues.)

It's not quite the same but give karaoke a shot, too. (I know, I know, karaoke and DJs are mortal enemies to bands.) You won't be able to play bass but it will give you an excuse to practice your vocals. Try working on songs at home that are duets/harmonies with the Mrs.; those will be more fun than just individually taking turns.

Remember, the open mics/jams are networking opportunities; don't forget to talk to everyone there.

The kid wanted to play with me... don't know why... also a friend of my son. I would take my son in a band. The other kid needs to buy a case for his guitar and learn to bring extra strings... know what I mean...? Talented, but not ready yet...

I contribute to several blues jams and I encourage you and Mrs. Brown to go back and do it again. You had fun and that's what you wanted.

The best part about jams is the exposure you get, and the chance to meet new musicians. Bass players are scarce around here and after I started going it wasn't long before I got offers. I think you'll find the same thing in your area and I bet your new band member is out there too.

What I like most is playing with people I wouldn't otherwise get the chance to play with. Good luck man and have fun.

:thu:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

photo link fixed

Thanks you Sir!

I was afraid the "proof" was going to be that I was ridiculous... :laugh:

There some good musicians at this open mic. My wife and I ended up dancing to a few songs... actually she danced and I motioned back and forth and tried to look cool...

Not a bad plan, Ross. I think open mics/jams are great for people in between bands.

IME the only people who go to open mics are musicians who want a few minutes on stage (and maybe any friends they've brought with them). With any luck you may find your missing pieces in the audience and you don't have to worry about scaring the general public away from your potential fanbase.

I don't see the logic of having the neighbor kid play guitar if there's a house band. (I can see bringing your kid along just for the family time, even if it may make it more difficult to attract any drummers in the audience.) Maybe they were a package deal?

I've played open jams where the entire "band" was cobbled together from individuals in the audience. The key is to be (or know) the singer, as this person will dictate what songs the band plays up there on stage. Next time try going with just you and the Mrs. If there are no takers from the audience the house band is your safety net. (Stick to standards and/or easy stuff, like 12 bar blues.)

It's not quite the same but give karaoke a shot, too. (I know, I know, karaoke and DJs are mortal enemies to bands.) You won't be able to play bass but it will give you an excuse to practice your vocals. Try working on songs at home that are duets/harmonies with the Mrs.; those will be more fun than just individually taking turns.

Remember, the open mics/jams are networking opportunities; don't forget to talk to everyone there.

Wow. You sound like you spend a lot of time there.

Usually open mic is for people who aren't good enough to be in a real band or a last resort before you give up altogether. Circling the drain.

An army of me

Usually open mic is for people who aren't good enough to be in a real band or a last resort before you give up altogether. Circling the drain.

I plan to use it to try new stuff and work on singing. My band plays every week or more. Many of the folks at this particular open mic are in very good busy bands. Just a chance to mix it up.

(some of the people at the open mic are horrible.... but they are having fun...)

Wow. You sound like you spend a lot of time there

.....................Circling the drain.

So do I. It's like a pot luck dinner. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it's of the best blues I've ever been a part of. I get to experiment, sing, even play some guitar, meet people, drink beer.

The wife and I like to hit up out of town jams when we're vacationing in a new city. I've had a couple offers to join bands in cities way too far away from home.

And if you bring a little sense of humor and a pair of earplugs to the party, it's even fun to occasionally go down the drain.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• 2 weeks later...
I attend as many jams as I can, even when I have gigs. All the musicians I've gigged with I met at jams. Jams are great networking venues. I've also been hired at places I've jammed. Lots of magic moments happen at jams, along with the inevitable trainwreck or 3. I even hit jams when vacationing. Can't get enough!
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Ottawa. Blues jam/open mic night at this place up on the hill. "Joe" something ran it. Big Joe? Little Joe? Something Joe. It was a hoot. I had a great time, and enjoyed hanging out with Joe. The bass player let me play his j-bass, as I came unprepaired.

The food was good in Ottawa also. The museum had a couple of Kandinski's. We got to stay in the Fairmont, I think...big ol' castle right in the middle of the city. We did high tea. The stay was a wedding present, but we extended it another day. Made it out there for Canadian Thanksgiving Day weekend, so we had the whole town to ourselves. I'd go again in a heartbeat.. Wonderful time, great people......we did not circle the drain.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Yes, I go to several open mics/jams hosted by friends. They are always happy to see me because they know I can do whatever so they can take a break for a few minutes if they need to.

Not everybody uses craigslist. Sometimes people do show up to open mics/jams looking for bandmates. I agree with you, though; not everybody who shows up is ready to be in a working band.

Archived