Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Maintaining Composure Onstage

J. Dan

we get bare breasts probably 50% of the nights we perform... So she smiled and danced over to me... she didn't actually flop them down onto the keys like I was hoping. (Note: I'm betting each one could have covered at least a major 6th).

HA HA HA HA!!!! :D :D :D

Also... I found this from 2006. A solo jazz piano concert...

"My foolish heart" was supposed to be the next-to-last tune. The audience went quite attentive, so I tried to give my best performance... but during the second half of the final theme, someone tapped my shoulder from behind! I tried to ignore it and keep my concentration - but after a few seconds, it happened again! I really didn't want to stop playing, so I thought to play some quick ending cadence, then check what the heck was happening. But before I could even do that, someone was tapping my shoulder for a third time!

I stopped abruptly, absolutely out of my mind, turned back - and saw a mature lady, digital camera in hand, taking a flash photo of me, then leaving with the most idiotic smile printed on her face! I was so bewildered I couldn't move.

Turned out she was an American tourist, about 60-year old, just leaving the place, who thought it was OK to stop my playing to take a picture of the pianist from her favorite angle! Why she couldn'd wait a few seconds and shoot between tunes, I will never know.

What I know is, I was so upset at that point, that I seriously thought to leave the place without saying a word. What I did instead, was to launch into "One note samba" (which wasn't planned) at 300 kmph, just to discharge my rage, and secretely thinking, "this is what you deserve - a concert of sambas"!

But the audience had no responsability for that episode, so I calmed down, finished the tune, and ended with "Lush life".

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I hadn't seen him playing lately, I would assume kanker was a 24-7-online guy, reading every thread of the forum, just waiting to place an organ joke here and there...
I played organ tonight. First time in a few weeks. It was fun. You could say I myself a little manual stimulation... :laugh:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

If I hadn't seen him playing lately, I would assume kanker was a 24-7-online guy, reading every thread of the forum, just waiting to place an organ joke here and there...
I played organ tonight. First time in a few weeks. It was fun. You could say I myself a little manual stimulation... :laugh:

Is your organ portable? How easy is it to set up and tear down?

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Is "Playing Organ" a euphemism for being a keyboardist? ;)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Please stop me now I can't refrain myself......

what is better than roses on a piano ....

no I refuse to go on ...

help me before i commit another bad pun

SpaceStation V3,

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

It's a Baldwin
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

[

It's a Baldwin

At least I didnt ask you how hard it was to pull your organ out of its case...

I used to play a Wurlitzer FunMaker myself

SpaceStation V3,

I've posted this before, but in my old band, we used to regularly give each other sh!t onstage. The singer used to say (over the mic) that I'm ok at the piano but I suck on the organ. Not everybody got it, but those who did got a good laugh.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

jazz gigs (which, as Carlo said above, tend to not attract much riff-raff)
Good thing you're not in Sacramento. Police: Band Leader Opened Fire On Attackers

The Sacramento Police Department says a three-piece jazz band was playing on the patio of the Broiler Steakhouse at 12th Street and K Street when two suspects repeatedly touched one of the band's props, a human-sized cat statue.

Wow, I guess I need to start carrying, LOL. Ahem ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Also... I found this from 2006. A solo jazz piano concert...

What I know is, I was so upset at that point, that I seriously thought to leave the place without saying a word. What I did instead, was to launch into "One note samba" (which wasn't planned) at 300 kmph, just to discharge my rage, and secretely thinking, "this is what you deserve - a concert of sambas"!

And here I am, playing gigs with a significant percentage of it dedicated to samba and its related cousins! :o If I am subjecting the audience to undue hardship, I guess I really do need to start packing heat...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

One manual or two?

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Archived