Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Coming to America

slowfinger

Mr and Mrs Slowfinger are coming to USA for a non-music related flying visit in October (we are attending a wedding in Florida - in Okaloosa County I think - then some touristy travel to Washington, NY, Vegas, SF - our boys are paying the fares bless them). I was thinking maybe I should get a new bass while I was there - just a modest Squier VMJ for instance. Here in Oz they cost around $650, while Musicians Friend has them for around $300.

Otherwise I might get just a single pedal - an effects pedal, a general purpose DI (eg SansAmp) - what would you advise?

I mean, what single gizmo would you advise?

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the States, :wave: I hope you have a good time!

For a good all 'round pedal you might look into a Zoom B2.1U expression pedal. the sounds aren't bad and it has a built in USB and DI. Plus it's not that expensive.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I would think part of the joy of coming over and shopping would be searching the used gear at music stores. That's where you'll find the treasures that you may or may not find online, and usually at a better price. More of a "see what you find and like" mindset, than a "get this particular thing" plan.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Welcome to the land up above. Enjoy your trip but don't bore Mrs. Slowfinger by dragging her through every music store in 5 cities.

That said, a pedal packs a lot easier than a bass. A SansAmp is a cool tool to have around.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Japanese Squier Jazzes are awesome - I can attest that!

Uh... Phil?

Please keep it to yourself. ;)

The prices are escalating as it is. How will I ever afford another?

Peace,

wraub

p.s. Have a safe trip, SF!

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

The Boss OC-2 is a legendary pedal. I toyed with parting with mine, but thankfully things worked out differently.

There's also the Tech21 VT Bass pedal. I tried one out recently and was astonished at what this little box was capable of. Those run around $140 - $150 new. And there's a more robust model out now called the VT Bass Deluxe. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it's supposed to have some increased capabilities that aren't on the standard VT Bass pedal.

As for basses? I think some of the best values out there are in used gear. Specifically some of the Fender CIJ basses. They might run you double the cost of something like the Squier VM fretless Jazz, but they'll last you a good long time. I saw a number of CIJ Fender's listed for sale on Talkbass recently, but obviously it helps enormously when you can try the instrument out in person. I'm also a fan of Fender's roadworn Jazz basses, but the ship has sailed on those. Now a RW Jazz is going to cost you at least $1000 new. But those turn up used, too, and can be a pretty good value.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Thanks for the good advice - I like the idea of looking at used stuff, the Zoom looks like a useful thing :

, as does the Tech21 VT Bass (can't find a 'tube I like).

I'll have most free time in Fort Walton Beach, Florida and NY, NY - however I was thinking of shopping in SF just before we jet home, but it all depends on how we go.

Thanks again - I'll report back.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

If you get the time and the inclination, stop by Nashville. We'll drink some beer and listen to some of the best music you'll ever hear. And you've never heard of the musicians.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

• 1 month later...

Well I'm back home now - we had a great time in USA, touching (figuratively speaking) many 'icons' such as Bourbon St, the Lincoln Memorial and the rest of the National Mall, the Empire State Building, Times Square, Macy's on a sale day, Route 66, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite Valley, Alcatraz, Jeremy Cohen, and the World Series parade in SF. What more could one ask of a trip to USA? (um, maybe drinkable coffee but that's another story altogether)

As for bass goodies, all I bought was a couple of sets of strings at Guitar Centre in SF - less than half the price they are here. I said to the sales guy that they (GC) had twice the range at half the price than I could find in Oz, and he said that shoppers from downunder say that to him several times a week!

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

Can we get some pictures of those new bass strings? :grin:

Seriously though, it sounds like you had a great trip and saw a lot of places. I'd like to take that trip myself.

Welcome home (so to speak).

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

(um, maybe drinkable coffee but that's another story altogether)

On behalf of all of America, I humbly apologize for our coffee and mass-marketed beer. For some reason, we've made Starbuck's the "high priestess of coffee."

An Aussie friend once described American beer as bing similar to sex in a canoe - they're both effin' close to water.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

And I apologize for my cheap shot at American coffee. As for beer, while I'm not a beer drinker as such, I felt it my Aussie duty to try a few. While it is not as fizzy as Aussie beer, I quite liked what I tried, including Coors Lite, Bud Lite, some stuff from Boston, and Sierra Nevada draught - the latter being my favourite.

Back to coffee - I got used to it after a while, and in New York the diner next to our hotel (Tick Tock and the New Yorker respectively) made quite nice 'American' coffee as well as espresso, and served it in proper china mugs. The aspect I had trouble with on arrival was the ubiquitous wax cups and 'creamer' provided in hotel rooms and hotel breakfasts. Starbucks (bless them) saved us - not only was the coffee quite good (my wife was partial to Cinnamon Dolce Latte) but the ready-made sandwiches were great for a couple on the run.

I embraced and really liked American food in general - I tried waffles, pancakes, grits, breakfast potatoes for breakfast (not all at the same time), had some nice ribs in NY and crabs in Florida, red beans and rice (and great cornbread) in New Orleans (and frozen daiquiris of course), nice Mexican in Flagstaff, wonderful chowder in San Francisco, and sampled hot dogs whenever I could. (a chilli dog from Venice Beach was best).

Picture:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd285/jimmaunder/USA/strings.jpg

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

Now we have better coffee and beer than we did years ago. In 1987 when I did a European tour with Bo Diddley I felt like I was in heaven when tasting the coffees and beers. It took quite a number of years until the coffee houses and micro-breweries started popping up over here.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Thankfully, I can stock up on German coffee a few times a year.

Very cool picture, it's always a great occasion when you get to meet people while far from home.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Me very bad - I should have explained how we met up with Jeremy.

Before we left Oz Jeremy PM'd me to say he might be able to show us around, but his schedule was 'nutso'. When we got to SF I phoned, and Jeremy undertook to pick us up from our hostel in downtown SF on Wednesday and take us to Twin Peaks and a bit of a look around, in between his many other commitments for that day. It had not occurred to me that there might be some excitement in town about the World Series that day, and it took him an hour to cross the Bay Bridge. We had a nice look around bits of SF we had not got to by foot and trolley, and in all spent a pleasant, mostly non musical hour and a half with Jeremy.

So thanks once again Jeremy for fitting us in on your very busy day - it was an honour and a real pleasure to meet you.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

I was in Perth/Freemantle in 1980, and the only thing I DIDN'T like about the place was the cappuccino. Swan Beer is heavenly, and Emu is just about as good. but I really hope the cappuccino I had in a restaurant wasn't representative of Aussie coffee in general. I've had water that wasn't as thin...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Jeremy Cohen- Bass Ambassador, and all-around god guy.

Glad you guys got to meet up.

When were you at the Grand Canyon? I was there with my family October 28 & 29. Sorry if we passed and I didn't say "hello". I was the one trying to keep the overly-energetic 8-year-old boy from falling in.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

You missed us by 2 days - we 'did' the canyon on Oct 26th. We stayed in Flagstaff 25th and 26th, hired a car and drove to south rim via route 180. We had booked a helicopter flight over the canyon (fantastic). After that we made our way to the rim - towards to east end of the rim trail, sat on the edge and had picnic lunch. then a little stroll along the rim trail. We drove back via the road to Cameron, then south to Flag. This drive was the highlight for me - the backdrop to just about every cowboy movie I ever saw!

The next day the trip to Vegas on the Greyhound was interesting in a variety of ways - the scenery was just as impressive (like in the movie 'Cars'), the small towns were an eye opener, as were the fellow travellers.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

We go to a lot of National Parks. We finally made it to Yosemite this year to complete the trifecta (of the 3 largest parks). We did Grand Canyon in early September, 2001. (Made it home a day before the airplanes stopped.) Yellowstone was a few years back.

Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Alcatraz and the National Mall all in one trip is pretty impressive. (New Orleans Jazz and Jean Lafitte have a visitor's center in the French Quarter, too. We were there in '99.) While we have been to parts of the Golden Gate NRA, we have not made it to "the Rock" yet. (We did the Mall a year or two ago.)

Empire State is probably a better choice than Statue of Liberty. When we went to see her it was a long line to climb up a bunch of stairs and then suddenly you're in the crown, only enough room for a few people, and being politely asked to limit your time so the rest of the people can get their brief minute to look out and snap a quick photo.

In Denali we met up with some Aussies who took 6 months off of work to travel the world. We camped together one night in the backcountry and as my wife and I were slow to awake the next morning they were kind enough to inform us that a grizzly and her cubs were heading our way. (It was the quickest we had ever broken camp!)

Anyway, glad you had a fun (and safe) trip!

Archived