Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are the Heaviest Keyboard Songs/Albums in Rock History?

Robbie G

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the lack of industrial or modern prog.the fact is, I dont find that stuff nearly as heavy as most of what was listed here. We lived/experienced a serious artistic peak with rock in the 60s/70s.

+1.

With the way everything is loudness maximized these days, the new music's not nearly as emotional as it was either.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

...anything by ELP that isn't a Greg Lake ballad.

Light My Fire (except for the guitar solo) Doors

Gimme Some Lovin' Spencer Davis (acutally Steve Winwood)

What'd I Say Ray Charles

The entire "Black Sheep" album by Jan Hammer

Genesis, post Steve Hackett

Doobie Brothers w/Michael McDonald

"Rock" and "Keyboards' are less and less compatible

with each passing year...

Turbo lover - Judas Priest

Ugh.

As a HUGE Priest fan, I can't tell you how disappointed I was when they went "synthy" with the "Turbo" album. That whole album is one big stinking pile of poo and was especially disappointing because it came on the heels of two of Priest's absolute masterpieces: Screaming For Vengeance and Defenders Of The Faith.

Some things just don't mix. Priest and keyboards are two of them.

Noah

Ugh.

As a HUGE Priest fan, I can't tell you how disappointed I was when they went "synthy" with the "Turbo" album. That whole album is one big stinking pile of poo and was especially disappointing because it came on the heels of two of Priest's absolute masterpieces: Screaming For Vengeance and Defenders Of The Faith.

Noah

I totally agree. That song sucks.

Ugh.

Noah

I totally agree. That song sucks.

This is kind of how I feel about Rush going from Moving Pictures (a guitar band with nice synth touches) to Signals (IMHO guitar and keys not quite at home with one another). The band is pretty forthright about the "synth thing" coming to a head a couple of albums later in their documentary. Though Geddy Lee's soccer mom hair from the power windows era rocks!

Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

This is kind of how I feel about Rush going from Moving Pictures (a guitar band with nice synth touches) to Signals (IMHO guitar and keys not quite at home with one another). The band is pretty forthright about the "synth thing" coming to a head a couple of albums later in their documentary.

I found the big leap was Power Windows, which I found way over the top.

I thought the songs on Signals to be still fairly organic keyboard-wise, except Subdivisions obviously.

It was their last analog album as well, and even on CD that disc sounds much better than everything that followed after.

I just got Beyond The Lighted Stage yesterday from Amazon. Have to wait until the wife & kinder go out.. ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

No one has yet mentioned Santana. There's probably several good candidates, but I'm gonna go with Hope You're Feeling Better, mostly for the opening riff.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

This is kind of how I feel about Rush going from Moving Pictures (a guitar band with nice synth touches) to Signals (IMHO guitar and keys not quite at home with one another). The band is pretty forthright about the "synth thing" coming to a head a couple of albums later in their documentary.

Yeah, the keys got over the top, but Grace Under Pressure is still a GREAT fkn album. And Between The Wheels is heavy as hell, especially live. I like Signals a lot, but theres a lot of dead weight on that record. Countdown.to the end of the album. Side 1 rocks though!

I found the big leap was Power Windows, which I found way over the top.

I thought the songs on Signals to be still fairly organic keyboard-wise, except Subdivisions obviously.

It was their last analog album as well, and even on CD that disc sounds much better than everything that followed after.

I just got Beyond The Lighted Stage yesterday from Amazon. Have to wait until the wife & kinder go out.. ;)

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

No one has yet mentioned Santana. There's probably several good candidates, but I'm gonna go with Hope You're Feeling Better, mostly for the opening riff.

I beat you to it in my first post.

But totally agree. :thu:

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Im beginning to think this thread is borderline Rainman. There is not one unifying trait in these song suggestions, down to keyboards even being in some of them! I cant think of half of these things as heavy.

What are the Heaviest Keyboard Songs/Albums in Rock History?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived