Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

minimoog Voyager XL

Jim Alfredson

So you have like a regular Voyager with patch storage, interacting with a modular section with cv/gate inputs and outputs, mixers, attenuators.... even connecting just the internal modules in different ways would give interesting results... but I guess the real show starts when you add new modules to the system. Very interesting.

Of course, it won't be for everyone, given the price and, I suppose, the weight.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure a "Memorymoog Voyager" of sorts will be an offering at some point. It's just a natural progression of things.... and a mighty fine progression it will surely be!

In the mean time, the XL will be at the top of my "go ahead & drool, but don't hold your breath" GAS list.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I'm sure a "Memorymoog Voyager" of sorts will be an offering at some point. It's just a natural progression of things.... and a mighty fine progression it will surely be!

I don't get where people think this will ever come to pass, except to chalk it up to wishful thinking.

Moog would have to either charge $8K or higher, or they would have to go to chips and would lose their signature sound. It's just too expensive to make a totally discrete poly synth voice.

Moe

---

Moog would have to either charge $8K or higher, or they would have to go to chips and would lose their signature sound. It's just too expensive to make a totally discrete poly synth voice.

That's why if i had 5k$ to spend on a synth - it would probably be the studio electronics c.o.d.e. 8.

Btw, i find it amusing that the name of the new moog synth has both the words "mini" and "XL" in it...

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

Man... it is awesome looking. Again, it's about the only thing that would make me consider selling my Signature edition Voyager. $5000 is steep, but what an instrument.

It looks indeed awesome, it´s real and it isn´t polyphonic.

61-Note Velocity Sensitive Keyboard with After-Pressure

Ribbon Controller with Pitch and Gate CV Outputs

Touch Surface Controller with X, Y, A and Gate Outputs

External Audio Input

Effects Loop Insert

2 Active Attenuators

4-Input CV Mixer

Lag Processor

Additional MIDI-Syncable LFO Source

3 Four-Way Mults

20 Control Voltage Outputs

3 Gate Outputs

10 Control Voltage Inputs

4 Gate Inputs

2 Modulation Busses

Solid Oak Cabinet

Tilting Control Panel

Just received a mail from Moog.

I don´t have a Voyager,- but what´s up in MIDI "local off" ?

Is the Voyagers keyboard polyphonic over MIDI to trigger modules ?

In this case, it would be the same w/ the 61-key keyboard and very usable in a midified rig, especially w/ the ribbon.

A.C.

I don't get where people think this will ever come to pass, except to chalk it up to wishful thinking.

That's the difference between you & I. You understand the insides & I'm blissfully ignorant. I was just considering their history and how they are somewhat reinventing themselves, combining what they did right in yesteryear with the advent of today's technology.

An 8k polysynth? Well, if you think back on the ads for the Memorymoog that showed 5 Minimoogs added together to make it, 8 Voyagers in one unit would be a steal at 8k. That is of course if we take ads at face value.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Man... it is awesome looking. Again, it's about the only thing that would make me consider selling my Signature edition Voyager. $5000 is steep, but what an instrument.

I'll consider buying it, but only if it comes in electric blue design ;)

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

what´s up in MIDI "local off" ? Is the Voyagers keyboard polyphonic over MIDI to trigger modules ?In this case, it would be the same w/ the 61-key keyboard and very usable in a midified rig, especially w/ the ribbon.

Yes, the current Voyager's keyboard is polyphonic over MIDI, with functional pitchwheel, mod wheel and aftertouch. You can also use the touchpad over MIDI.

Yes, the current Voyager's keyboard is polyphonic over MIDI, with functional pitchwheel, mod wheel and aftertouch. You can also use the touchpad over MIDI.

Thx for info Marzzz, that´s great !

Just a question,- I never played on a Voyager ´cause I have a Minimoog D.

How´s the Voyagers keyboard feel compared to a Minimoog w/ Pratt-Read keyboard,- is it comparable to todays Yamaha, Korg synth keyboards ? Is it a really good playable keybed ?

I cannot leave the house to visit shops because of illness since month and I doubt I´d find everything on display anyway here.

A.C.

It is a very playable keyboard- I think they used the same mechanism as the Alesis Andromeda and the Dave Smith PolyEvolver Keyboard, some kind of Fatar, because it felt identical among all three boards (note: the Prophet '08 keybed is completely different). It has been a long time since I played a MiniMoog, but I think the keys of the Voyager have more weight, while the MiniMoog felt rather springy (no surprise, though?).

• 4 weeks later...

As appealing as this looks, my own vote would be for a revival of the ARP 2600. I might be willing to sell a kidney for that one!

At $5K, this one is hard to justify unless modular synthesis is one's main bag. I personally feel that the learning curve for making musical results vs. tweaking for fun, would be quite steep.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

At $5K, this one is hard to justify unless modular synthesis is one's main bag.

But if modular synthesis is your main bag, you may be better off buying $5K worth of modular gear. For example, for the same price you could get something like this:

http://synthesizers.com/studio44s.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the emphasis is more on refined control for modulation sources, and less on patch points into the synth architecture.

I see this Voyager more as an uber-controller for a modular than a substitute for one.

• 2 months later...
Minimoog Voyager XL

Got to love GAS before the New Year

Click here

This video was posted in another thread.

I have to say, this thing just looks mad epic.

It sounds well beyond anything I heard, and that demo wasn't anything special either.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

Archived