Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

minimoog Voyager XL

Jim Alfredson

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like the CP-251 and/or VX Expander module added on to the left side of the current Voyager. Those modules don't have presets either.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like the other I/Os are along the top just like on the Voyager. Why not just come out with a separate 5 octave keyboard and some real modules????? Until they come out with something official on the Moog 'site I will have difficulty believing this is for real.

Or, how about a 4/6/8 voice Little Phatty???

Just reeks of another Ken Elhardt creation (Bahn Sage), huh? Way cool if it's real though.

I'd like to see effort put into a new poly myself. "Voyager 16" anyone? Something to give the Andromeda a run for the money...

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

Looks like the CP-251 and/or VX Expander module added on to the left side of the current Voyager. Those modules don't have presets either.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like the other I/Os are along the top just like on the Voyager.

He's talking about the panel to the left with the patch cables connected to the front, rather than the top of the Voyager brain.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like the other I/Os are along the top just like on the Voyager.

He's talking about the panel to the left with the patch cables connected to the front, rather than the top of the Voyager brain.

Yes, and I am talking about the other I/O's which are then spread out across the top of the Voyager, making for some interesting, and probably unnecessary, patch cord runs. My point being that if Moog Music is going to the trouble of incorporating a CP-251 and VX-351 into an expanded Voyager, why not just go one step further and move the top-situated I/Os and make it a modular, or perhaps at least a semi-modular sorta like the old ARP 2600?

So, for those more experienced with modular synths, does this look to be a modular or semi-modular? And if so, why wouldn't they market it as a Moog Modular instead of Voyager?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Probably because it is more like a Voyager with built-in CP-251 and VX-351 boxes, a 5 oct keyboard, and a ribbon. It is semi because (for instance) you can't seem to modulate pitch and waveform of the three oscillators separately- it appears to be all or none.

Seems like a strnage idea. If i had $5k to spend on a moog - this doesn't seem like the best "bang for the buck".

To explain:

I saw a moog bundle on NovaMusik for 3600$ which includes:

- Your choice of a Select Series Moog Voyager

- MF-102 MoogerFooger

- MF-103 MoogerFooger

- MF-107 MoogerFooger

- 2x EP-2 Pedals

- Voyager Training DVD

- Moog Movie

- A Moog T-Shirt (please specify size)

So, out of a 5000$ budget this leaves you with 1400$ (and of course a moog voyager with 3 moogerfoogers and more accessories). You can spend that 1400$ on a cp251 (= 379$) and still have more than 1000$ to spend on additional moogerfoogers.

So why on earth would someone want to spend 5k$ on the Voyager XL? (unless, maybe, it's a poly...).

The "all in one" moog isn't really an argument. since i guess most people won't take a 5k$ monosynth to a gig anyway. This is studio stuff. And since it's aimed more for the studio - than 5000$ can get you a better combination of moog products. Moog beats itself. Strange.

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

Ohh, that is a thing of beauty! I actually like having a 61 key board for monophonic stuff. But there's a couple of ergonomic things that bug me. I'd move the XY pad panel over to the far left, so you can access it with your left hand while playing. The location of the XY pad on the original Voyager has never really worked for me for this reason. They seem to be keeping the Voyager panel layout while adding the new modules on the left, so this moves the XY pad even further up the keyboard. Probably an economic decision not to retool the factory, but for $5k? Also, I'd move the ribbon to the far left of the panel, again to have more LH access while playing with the right.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Looks to me like a "trophy" piece designed for wealthy collectors and large studios to put out on display. They'll sell a few thousand of them to people like that, but personally I'm not sold on either it's added functionality or it's price.

If it is polyphonic that's another story, but that's not the way this is shaping up.

Wow. That's a beautiful picture.

But if this IS for real, I'll put it on the COVER of the next issue of Keyboard. Heck, it's so BIG that we'd even do a 2-page fold-out cover so we can fit the whole thing on there and you can see all the details. Riiiight....

You heard me say it here, so hold me to it.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

We will Stephen, provided its real and not a Photoshop joke on all of us.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Wow. That's a beautiful picture.

But if this IS for real, I'll put it on the COVER of the next issue of Keyboard. Heck, it's so BIG that we'd even do a 2-page fold-out cover so we can fit the whole thing on there and you can see all the details. Riiiight....

You heard me say it here, so hold me to it.

You could do a direct comparison with the new Mini-Formant Challenger, which looks *very* similar. ;)

I am a bit perplexed by this thing. For one thing, it seems more flexible to keep the expander modules separate, especially for live use.....Why carry this hulk around if you don't need too?

It is quite a departure from DSI products which are moving toward smaller formats with alot of flexibility.

If it has the effect of lowering the resale value of the voyager, that will be great.

The Voyager has an identity unlike any product....it is loved by those who use it for a very real reason.........to do this to it won't work......Moog should create new products like Little Phatty and forget about this sort of thing.....JMHO

I just spoke to Stacy at Moog who confirms that the Voyager XL IS REAL. The story slipped earlier than they had planned, but Keyboard Mag will get all the info first, probably later this afternoon.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I am a bit perplexed by this thing. For one thing, it seems more flexible to keep the expander modules separate, especially for live use.....Why carry this hulk around if you don't need too?

That's why some here think it's a studio piece. Folks here get nervous enough taking the current Voyager out to gigs where beer drinkers would be walking around.

It's real! I was being cheeky in my earlier post, but the product page has now gone live on Moog's site, and I'm free to let the cat out of the bag here:

Minimoog Voyager XL Press Release

So, does anyone have their October issue yet? ;)

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Archived