Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: ELO Member Mike Edwards Dies Age 62

gryphon

ELO Member Mike Edwards Dies Age 62

Mike Edwards, one of the early members of the British rock ensemble, Electric Light Orchestra, died Sept. 3 in an accident.

Mr. Edwards was driving a white van along a countryside road in the southwestern county of Devon when a 700 pound hay bale tumbled down a hill and landed on the windshield of his vehicle, killing him instantly, police said.

He was a particularly eccentric character of the band, who was known for wearing a tailed tuxedo, and playing solo tunes using a grapefruit for a bow.

He also had one particular piece, called the "dying swan," when at the end of his routine, his cello would "explode."

He played with ELO from 1972 to 1974 before becoming a Buddhist, changing his name to Deva Pramada, and making money teaching the cello.

If you have any memories of Mr. Edwards and his tenure with ELO, leave them below. In the meantime, enjoy this live version of the band's hit, "Ma-Ma-Ma Belle.

[video:youtube]

+++++

Wife hands me this news clipping tonight. Wasn't it these guys who we went and saw? Oh, it was ELP, not ELO, right?

:facepalm:

Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He played with ELO from 1972 to 1974 before becoming a Buddhist, changing his name to Deva Pramada, and making money teaching the cello.

Yeah, I doubt he made much money with ELO since he left before they had huge success. From what I've heard, the situation was more of a "sideman" thing. Very tragic accident.

I'm torn about ELO, I think they ( or rather "he") rank between pure genius and terrible, depending on my mood. :laugh: Good songs, great arrangements and production, but I can't get past the lead vocals on the ballads.

I think they ( or rather "he") rank between pure genius and terrible.

That's the most accurate assessment I've ever read about that band's music.

I played backing strings on a gig for them, and also ELO II which was without Jeff Lynne. Without him they were much better in concert. ELO II did an a capella version of the Beatles' Because, and it sounded amazing. This was like 1997 or so, and unfortunately the crowd was fairly small. At that point, the only one with a real history was Bev Bevan the drummer, the rest were younger guys and they all could play. As a bonus, they brought all of us pickup musicians a boxed dinner between the rehearsal and the show. That's the way to do it. ;)

Wife hands me this news clipping tonight. Wasn't it these guys who we went and saw? Oh, it was ELP, not ELO, right?

:facepalm:

I've always been more of an ELH* fan myself.

* Emmy Lou Harris

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I, too, vacillate between hating ELO with every ounce of my soul, to really digging them. I need long breaks between listening to them to enjoy them. But I was driving along a short while ago and "Do Ya" came on, and I realized what a great pop tune it is, with all manner of hooks.

I, too, vacillate between hating ELO with every ounce of my soul, to really digging them. I need long breaks between listening to them to enjoy them. But I was driving along a short while ago and "Do Ya" came on, and I realized what a great pop tune it is, with all manner of hooks.

There's maybe a handful of people with the talent that Jeff Lynne has. His parents messed up, they should have had him 5 years earlier. :laugh: He should have been a 60s musician like his heroes the Beatles, instead he peaked in the Disco era.

I wish that some of the fabulous people he worked with later like Sir Paul would have taken him aside at the beginning of ELO and said "Jeff, you're a talented bloke but ya just can't sing." If ELO had two vocalists instead of just one we'd probably all be singing their praises now. When Lynne sings "MID-nite, on the WATer", it sounds like someone is abusing a Seal. :laugh:

Mr. Edwards was driving a white van along a countryside road in the southwestern county of Devon when a 700 pound hay bale tumbled down a hill and landed on the windshield of his vehicle, killing him instantly, police said.

At least if it had been a piano.....

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Archived