Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This dadgum DADGAD tuning

LeftyBlues

A friend was showing me a Led Zep song that uses this tuning. I've played open G quite a bit (my avatar may hint at why!) but DADGAD is new. Quick and easy, what are some songs that use this, probably a zillion no doubt. Thanks gang.

L.B.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great for Irish fiddle tunes, which is where Page got "Black Mountain Side." Check out some of the early British folk-rock bands (Pentangle, Steeleye Span, Incredible String Band) for some examples.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Lotsa Zep Stuff (Kashmir) - Michael hedges liked that tuning also. Pretty common alt tuning.

That's the song, my tired old brain couldn't remember the name. I'm going to leave one guitar (I have more than one thanks to you guys!) tuned to DADGUM as I like to call it, do a little experimentin' with it. I should've been a bit clearer and indicated songs from the mid 70's up to present day, something they played to death on FM radio to make it easy.

L.B.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Great thing about DADGAD is how close it is to Open-D and Open-Dm; just a half or a whole step twist of the 3rd-string's tuner...

Look up Pierre Bensusan, he spent a lot of time living in DADGAD...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm not much on variant tunings myself but if you want to look into it check a couple 1960s English cats: Davey Graham & Bert Jansch, which is where Page got a lot of his folky stuff, like "Black Mountain".

Also, IIRC, Lawrence Juber has done a bit of arranging & recording with it in recent years.

Of course, the real adventure is not just learning what others have done with it but cooking up something new.

Good on ya & happy explorations !

PS...that suspended 4th oughta work well for opening a bluesy version of "Hard Days Night" (which is really a blues anyway).

d=halfnote

Michael Hedges used it a lot. I play Ragamuffin in DADGAD.

Paul Simon has a song called St. Judy's Comet that Kenny Loggins covered in DADGAD on his children's songs album that had Return To Pooh Corner. I LOVE playing that song in DADGAD.

It's great for drone rhythm, too.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• 2 weeks later...

Archived