Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Play at my pianny the other day....

Ian Sharrock

I'm contemplating buying a decent piano sample & whilst searching came across this. http://sonimusicae.free.fr/matshelgesson-maestro-en.html

Any of you guys tried this piano sample out? If so, what's your opinion of it and are there any others that you can recommend (the usual rules; price v quality)

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, since it appears to be free, what do you have to lose by trying it? .... actually you have a lot to lose, if by some chance the thing is either buggy, causing your system to be unstable, or is some kinda malware.

If you're confident that's not the case, give it a try & report back!

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

It sounds good! Very smooth and natural, especially considering that the demos are from MIDI files; the dynamic transitions are among the best I've heard. Among cons, I'd say that they didn't choose a piano with a particularly 'beautiful' sound... there are Steinways, especially, which sound quite a bit warmer. And they let in a bit too much mechanical noise for my tastes, so it sounds a bit dry and crude - but that can enhance realism too. I'm sure that when played with the right dynamic curve, this piano is a pleasure to play. And for free, who can argue? :)

I have tried it & I think it's pretty good (especially for the price!). It did take a bit of juggling with the dynamic curve to get it to play right. It also helped with a touch of PSP Pianoverb to give a bit of sympathetic resonance.

My point was really; if this is the standard of free piano samples, do the commercial samples justify their price?

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

My point was really; if this is the standard of free piano samples, do the commercial samples justify their price?

It doesn't quite work like that. Almost all the software I've ever purchased has been worth the price. There is also free software out there that is very impressive. The freeware has a completely different system of advertising, R+D, distibution, on and on. It usually doesn't have the same customer support (although that one is questionable with some companies these days).

Archived