Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

George Harrison reportedly losing cancer battle

Possibly only a week to live...? This is depressing beyond words. My heart goes out to him and his family... I'm still rooting for the guy, hoping he'll pull through. http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/abc/20011126/en/harrison011126_1.html

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:( :( :( :( (sigh)... I can't say I didn't expect it. We just received word tonight that one of my oldest son's best friends was killed in a car accident. (sigh)...the same son just got back from a Thanksgiving trip to Nashville with his girlfriend and their family. While they were there, they (girlfriend's family) found out one of THEIR friends had been killed in a car accident, too. (sigh). Now George. I look at you all, see the love there that's sleeping While my guitar gently weeps...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

It is very sad, but on a spiritual note ... George has had a good life, made millions of people happy, and continued to be productive musically his entire life. Thank the heavens we have been blessed with him and his music for so long. It's the lives taken young that make me shiver. This ... it just makes me feel old. Thank you for everything George!
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by Sylver: [b]It is very sad, but on a spiritual note ... George has had a good life, made millions of people happy, and continued to be productive musically his entire life. Thank the heavens we have been blessed with him and his music for so long.[/b][/quote] Good point... From what I can tell, it seems like George has lived a pretty full life... What makes it so sad is that the Beatles' music still seems so [i]vital[/i]. Yes, they broke up years ago, but there's something about the Beatles' music that still feels new and exciting... And it's still kind of the musical standard that a lot of us secretly (or not-so-secretly) want to live up to. And George happens to be a monster guitarist and songwriter in my book. :) I guess I've always lived with the idea that the surviving Beatles would always be... surviving. It's unrealistic to expect that, but that's the power of music for ya... At least recordings freeze those moments in time so that future generations can appreciate and enjoy them. I'm still holding out hope that George either hangs in there or that the news report is wrong (and there [i]have[/i] been false news reports, like one a few months ago which quoted George Martin on things he later denied he ever said).

George isn't exactly an old fart, either, though. Although not a spring chicken, 58 isn't exactly a ripe old age. He should have years left...not days. Sigh... "Sunrise doesn't last all morning A cloudburst doesn't last all day Seems my love has up and left you with no warning It's not always going to be this gray All things must pass... All things must pass away..."
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]George isn't exactly an old fart, either, though. Although not a spring chicken, 58 isn't exactly a ripe old age. He should have years left...not days. Sigh... "Sunrise doesn't last all morning A cloudburst doesn't last all day Seems my love has up and left you with no warning It's not always going to be this gray All things must pass... All things must pass away..." -------------------- Behold, the power of cheese... [/b][/quote] Tedster, that was a moving post until I got to the "Behold, the power of cheese" line! :D

Tedster, I was going to post a quote from "All Things Must Pass" too... you beat me to it. I think that would pretty much sum up the man's feelings about everything rather well... The Beatles, fame, our lives... everything's tempoary, and George has always seemed to understand that. But like it or not George, you have touched us, and that - and your music shall live on far beyond the day you leave us behind in this life. I just hope that somehow, despite the current circumstances, that day will be far into the future. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Here is something odd... I just checked the CNN, FOX, CBS and BBC web sites, and none have anything to support the tabloid "death watch" story as describe here. http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/abc/20011126/en/harrison011126_1.html I wonder if it's just tabloid fluff...it is odd that there is nothing current in the news, as it would be if he REALLY IS that close to death. In fact, a further search of the BBC's United Kindom News site only turned up the following as the most recent George Harrison news story...about how he cut a new single last month. http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/music/newsid_1606000/1606061.stm FUCK 'EM ALL...AND HANG IN THERE GEORGE!!! :p

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Now I'm curious if this story was fabricated like the one back in July... Here's what I've been able to dig up: There's a [url=http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,9093,00.html?tnews]November 8th article[/url] that rehashes what we basically already know, except for that, apparently, no one has any way of contacting George. His publicist claims she no longer represents him. And the makers of a Sean Penn film were unable to contact George for permission to use Beatles songs in their film, so they used cover versions instead. Weird. Another [url=http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/article/1098121]article from November 26th[/url] basically rehashes the article at the top of this thread, but does imply that it could be simply a tabloid rumor. As a side note... Here's what I don't get: Apparently, the UK has much stricter libel laws than the US, yet the UK tabloids seem to get away with making up more stuff than the US ones... Is this perception correct, or am I just imagining things? :confused:

Archived