Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sony Minidisc 4 track / newer harddisk rec.

Hi, I currently own a sony minidisc 4 track multitrack that I purchased back in early 97 when the hype started with MD. It seems a bit far today.. My question is the following : The drawbacks I find on this gear are that : it is a bit large for only 4 tracks considering the size of current 8 tracks No digital in and outs Compression (ration 1/5) which means no optimum quality Poor preamps (noisy) which means that it needs an external pre. 4 tracks only. When I see the current offer for around 750/800 USD, i am considering selling it and purchasing something else that would benefit all that the Sony does not have. (example : the small Fostex, or the VS 840Roland, or something in this range) This standalone recorder will not be used at home because I have a computer wiht Cakewalk for that, but it is more intended to be use to record a drum for example in a studio, and then import it in the PC, or a guitar at high level (which of course I cannot do in my flat), or in holidays, where I want to be able to have sufficient quality to be able keep a track I have recorded . Of course, I don't want a loss in quality due to the transfer, and this is why I believe the digital in/out are essential. Better yet, the ability to tranfer sounds in wave files would probably be the best thing. Additionally, compatibility is a concern, (since for example, I think more and more people are using VS, and overdubb would probably be easier with that, but it is compressed). Seriously, do you think I am right in my thinking? Would this kind of newer hard disk recorder do the job REALLY better than the MD ( i.e : better preamps, with no hum or hiss, better high and lows, overall quality etc ) Thanks Alex

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The MD recorders were good for their time, but with the future of MD multitrack in doubt, a hard disk recorder would likely be a better option...and you don't have to deal with compression. As far as preamps are concerned, it probably wouldn't hurt to buy decent mic pres and feed the line ins...or if you really want the best performance, feed some good A/D converters which then go into the digital ins.

Archived