Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixdown in Analog or Digital World ?

This might be a dumb question, but I have seen that people on this forum in general are kind enough to help out and answer those as well: Will I achieve better overall quality with a PC-DAW when sending out #1 - 8 (or even 16) analog channels (let's call them subgroups) and adding them into a stereo mix in the analog world or by #2 - mixing all channels in software first (Logic Audio Plat. 4.7) and sending only 2 final channels to the analog world ? I have been working with option 1 so far but I am considering to switch to option 2 as this would allow me to easily save settings and remix without having to setup the mix again (my analog realm is not automated). In addition I would be able to use the 6 extra outputs on an 8 channel card to feed external FX and fully automate the mixing process. Quite attractive to me. Now, I realize that option 1 is likely to give me additional "analog noise" from the mixing console (currently using a Mackie 24x8x2), whereas #2 potentially reduces the dynamic range of individual signals as I have to pull the digital "master fader" down as more signals are summed up (...does it really affect dynamic range?). Does the quality of the converters used play a significant role in this decision? I am currently running a Lexicon Core2 on 44.1/24 but I am considering to upgrade to RME Hammerfall and an ADI-8 PRO as my work has started creating interest. I would still stick with 44.1/24 as I don't think I have a good way of converting other formats to CD standard. Any opinions will be very much appreciated. Thanks, MisterBlue

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MisterBlue, I don't think that there is an easy answer. If you were to send 16 channels to a high quality (i.e. expensive) analog board with linked to a rack of first rate signal processors, then I would guess that that would give you a "better" sound than working within Logic alone. If you sent your tracks out to a cheap board with cheap effects, you'd probably do more harm than good if only from the standpoint of added noise. Keeping your entire mix in Logic ensures the lower possible noise floor and gives you the ability to "recall" all of the parameters of your mix, something you won't get from any except the most expensive analog systems. Anyway, that's my two cents.

I agree... The way the question is presented, this is difficult to answer. Whether analog or digital, quality and resolution is key. If you have great analog or gear, mix on it. I don't see why spending the time to jump between the realms in mid-stage is necessary, unless you have found a way to make a better audio representation in your final product. One caveat to my position is that the digital age is getting better every day. If you are like me and go totally digital right after the preamps with relatively new gear, learn your new gear and make great mixes!

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

It's actualy an easy question. But only you know the answear to it. Try mixing in logic and see if you like it. I would never be able to go back to the days before total recall. For me it's an easy call since I can't afford a good analog desk, and I do agree that digital is getting better and better. Danny

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

Archived