Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Chord Presentation

danika

I'll start with my usual caveat that I'm not a guitar player but an arranger who has received good advice about guitar parts in this forum before.

This time I'm working on the design of an iPad app that would be a random chord generator (think chord flash cards) for both keys and guitar. I'm assuming (but would like to verify) that when displaying the answer to what a chord is I should use the full string version of a chord, not just the basic chord notes as I would for the keys. In other words the first chord in the tabs below instead of the second. If so, is there any value to a guitarist in displaying the second (basic notes) chord?

E||--0---------||

B||--1---------||

G||--0----0----||

D||--2----2----||

A||--3----3----||

E||------------||

Related question: I would be able to display the chords on a tab staff or a fretboard but not include a chord diagram. Which is the best option, staff or fretboard?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really depends on what type of guitarist you're targeting. Triads are nice for swing because you've gotta sight read chords really fast; that being said, may as well do just the full chords, because if a guitarist is playing swing chances are either a: he's good enough to figure out what to play out of those notes or b: he doesn't need some app to tell him chords

Based on the opinions so far it sounds like full chords are the best choice. As far as showing what the basic chord is, the spelling of the chord will be displayed on the same screen as well as the (piano) notes on a staff.

Any thoughts on the second question: I would be able to display the chords on a tab staff or a fretboard but not include a chord diagram. Which is the best option, staff or fretboard?

Any thoughts on the second question: I would be able to display the chords on a tab staff or a fretboard but not include a chord diagram. Which is the best option, staff or fretboard?

To me a fretboard diagram works best, but then I never had any use for tab. Perhaps an optional view might work best, where the user has the choice of how to view the chord via an onscreen button.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Flash the exact chord and strings on tabs and charts that you want the guitar player to play like the C in your example...and hope the guitar player can keep up with your ideas of site reading chord and triad changes...or...just spell out the chord name like: C Cm C7 Cm7 Cmaj7 Cdim Caug C9 C13 etc, and then let the player decide which inversions sound the best for the song in question...

For chords, I like the fretboard chart...for leads, I like my own improv from scale modes (unless you want the exact same lead as found on the record, then it must be in tab...and remember, we are not all Eric Claptons)...is this Ipad concept for computer programming or for live teleprompter readings on the fly? if you hired a guitar player, consider letting them do the job whether it be in programming, tab, writing, arranging, etc...at least consult with the one you have hired or with another guitar player if you don't have one...

Sometimes keyboard players/writers/arrangers write or arrange guitar chords/parts that just don't fit in with the instrument as far as the best sound selection and inversions...let the guitar sounds be captured by the guitarist...IMHO.

Take care, Larryz

...is this Ipad concept for computer programming or for live teleprompter readings on the fly? if you hired a guitar player, consider letting them do the job whether it be in programming, tab, writing, arranging, etc...at least consult with the one you have hired or with another guitar player if you don't have one...

Teleprompter readings on the fly is the best way to describe it. It generates random chord names at an interval specified by the user, and then after a delay (again specified by the user) displays the spelling of the chord. I built a Visual Basic version of this years ago to teach myself how to play chords on the piano. Now I'm just adding a piano keyboard and (based on the comments here) a guitar fretboard and contracting it out for development as an iPad app.

Not sure why I would need a guitar player. The guitar chords are just one big lookup table that I've already started to create using Guitar Pro.

Sounds like a cool idea for teaching yourself chords or for looking up chords...my Boss Band in a box does both keyboard and guitar displays for the most common chords at the push of a button so I have an idea now of what you're going to be doing...you probably don't need a guitar player, but since you don't play, it may still be a good idea to bounce around ideas with one or two though...good luck with it...
Take care, Larryz

And don't forget the slash "/" chords so you can show a bass note added to the chord and flash up to four walk down chords...or perhaps flash a I IV V Roman Numeral chord pattern instead of just one chord at a time...and after the delay 3 or 4 chords pop up... :idea:
Take care, Larryz

• 4 weeks later...
I've put this app out for programming bids, but I do have one final design question: Is it important for the user to hear the chord being played when the answer is presented?

It could be a very cool addition. Then it could be used for ear training as well as the purposes already mentioned.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived