Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dear Mr. Sadowsky (yes, once again)

_Sweet Willie_

Dear Mr. Sadowsky,

I'm sure you find it as amazing as I do that another year has once again passed us by. We're not getting any younger, are we?! But, it does give me great pleasure to reignite and refresh our bond over bass.

It seemed reasonable yet again to reach out to you about our shared annual topic of consideration: my birthday. It is once again just around the bend, and I'm sure that you know already what this thread will be about. I wanted to help you out with some gift ideas since I'm not sure you've had a chance to focus on my birthday, what with the shop humming along cranking out instruments one after the other.

While I'm typically not one to throw myself a pity party, I'm approaching this annual plea from a new perspective. Perhaps by showing you what I've been reduced to as a bass player you will come to understand the nobility that an action such as presenting me with one of your basses for my birthday would represent.

Below is a picture of me at a luthier's studio on the day I picked up my new bass a couple of years ago. As you can see, I'm giving it my all to make that instrument sing. It is for no lack of effort on that day (or, for that matter, on any day since) that I have brought the low end to stage and studio on that 2x4 P bass.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/WEA/DSC_0015.jpg

While I think the builder did the best he could based on the limited funding I was able to provide for this project (please note: I did go with the penciled fretlines option which drove up the price slightly, but not by as much as the inlaid colored toothpick fretlines would have), this bass leaves a lot to be desired and constrains my creativity and ability to speak with the musical voice that I have within me, fighting to get out. The neck's dive would outscore Greg Louganis on his best day. The playability is that of, well, a 2x4. There are some real limits on the adjustability of the neck (i.e., it has the truss rod of a Wish bass...errrr, or lack thereof?!). The list goes on.

While this instrument has served me well in no less than a handful of bar brawls (think: Spinal Tap and cricket bat and you'll remember again the power of having a solid piece of wood in one's hands in trying situations), I think I've reached the limits of what I can do with it musically. So, now, I look to you and the depths of kindness that I know reside within you, and simply suggest that you take under consideration that perhaps this year should be the year.

Warmest regards and best wishes for the continued success of your business,

--Willie

PS: Congrats on the recent positive review of the Will Lee Signature Sadowsky bass in BP Magazine. It's a lovely instrument. Hmmm, I could see myself playing such a lovely instrument. As I pointed out last year: Will Lee --> Willie. Can you dig it? ;)

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ironically, as I read this, I'm listening to just about the perfect soundtrack to this surreal yet sad story - "One-Armed Scissor" by At The Drive-In. For those unfamiliar...

Seriously, re-read the OP with that song playing in the background, and suddenly it all makes sense. ;)

Happy birthday, sir...

And keep on waiting. It will happen someday. Just ask Linus.

http://mikegothard.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/great-pumpkin-3.jpg

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

C'mon. Roger, you have put this off long enough. Step up and do the right thing.

Really.

Peace,

wraub

p.s. Have a happy, sweets!

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Hope springs eternal!

Hang in there S-dub and have a very Happy Birthday and many more!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Yeah, Roger, cut Sweet Willie a break. Nobody would love one of your outstanding instruments more than him.

Well, maybe me...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Good luck.

I was at a nice shop today and played some really nice basses. Unfortunately, they were all 35" scale. Roscoe makes a GREAT bass.

ANYWAY, I THINK I HAVE DECIDED THAT I HAVE TO HAVE A 34" SCALE BASS, I HAVE TO HAVE A 5 STRING, AND I SEEM TO PREFER JAZZ TYPE BASSES. I THINK I'M GOING TO GO WITH A SADOWSKY - IF I CAN FIND ONE USED.

Opps, sorry. Didn't see the caps...

Wonder if it would do me any good to write Mr. Dingwall come December?

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Good luck.

I was at a nice shop today and played some really nice basses. Unfortunately, they were all 35" scale. Roscoe makes a GREAT bass.

ANYWAY, I THINK I HAVE DECIDED THAT I HAVE TO HAVE A 34" SCALE BASS, I HAVE TO HAVE A 5 STRING, AND I SEEM TO PREFER JAZZ TYPE BASSES. I THINK I'M GOING TO GO WITH A SADOWSKY - IF I CAN FIND ONE USED.

Didn't you just unload a Sadowsky?

Push the button Frank.

I don't see how you can do better than - was it last yearor two years back? When you received a Sadowsky t-shirt and a Sadowsky strap (from sympathetic forumites)?

You should have worn those to articles to show your "sincerity" for the bass to rise out of the pumpkin patch. And since you didn't, I guess you'll have to wait until next year.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Good luck.

Didn't you just unload a Sadowsky?

I did. The one I really liked was a 4 string and I find I really prefer/need/use a 5. If I can find the right used 5 string, I may try again and see if it's as sweet as the 4 was.

I mark my time on this planet by the annual occurrence of the "Sweet Willie needs a Sadowsky" thread. If this fine fine man was to ever recieve one, my life would seem sweeter without the yearly tic of the clock reminding me I'm one step closer to death. Please Mr. Sadowsky, bring Sweet Willie into your fold.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Maybe Roger would more seriously consider your request if you didn't look so danged happy plunking on that 2x4. Just a thought.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Archived