Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Auditioning for bandmates:Tales of Frustration

Ross Brown

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every person I have played with that was a "jammer" has been really lacking in the skills needed to be in a band. They "jam". They have trouble with beginnings, endings and middles.

Ain't that the truth... :rolleyes: it's been a situation I have dealt with too often. Too many people mistake 'jam' for 'perpetual noodling'.

Hopefully joining this other group will work out better than the audition process. It kind of puts the TV audition stereotype of the director with no patience in perspective though.

I swear you can tell in less than 2 minutes if someone will work out. Do I say "ok, you have two minutes to make the band"... Noooooo... I endure an hour or more, just to be respectful (some of these folks come from an hour away). Sometimes I think it may get better... it never, ever, ever, ever gets better. If they suck right away, they suck later too. If they are good right away, they may suck later...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

If they suck right away, they suck later too. If they are good right away, they may suck later...

And if they don't suck later, they may suck after that, too... :D

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

We found another couple with the same issue. Might work, might not. I have played with him once. He is good. We are going to try this Saturday. I have a temporary drummer set up. He guitars, she keys and sings, I bass, my wife sings.... They were in a band together for six years so they can work together (was a good band too). Seems like it could be a horrible diseaster or a great success. Worth a shot.... I like memories....

I seem to recall some other band that involved two husband/wife pairs... Hell if I can remember the name, but they had one of the best-selling records of all time... ;)

We found another couple with the same issue. Might work, might not. I have played with him once. He is good. We are going to try this Saturday. I have a temporary drummer set up. He guitars, she keys and sings, I bass, my wife sings.... They were in a band together for six years so they can work together (was a good band too). Seems like it could be a horrible diseaster or a great success. Worth a shot.... I like memories....

I seem to recall some other band that involved two husband/wife pairs... Hell if I can remember the name, but they had one of the best-selling records of all time... ;)

did they get along??? hahahahaha...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

From what I read, they did for a while, but not long... :D

It didn't help that at least one of them was a coke whore at the time...

It didn't help that at least one of them was a coke whore at the time...

I like Pepsi...

Funny, I heard Rumours about them.

But maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Naw, those were just Little Lies...

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Are you guys talking about Abba? They had at least one married couple in the band, didn't they? (Yes, I'm kidding!)

Joni Mitchell was married to her bass player for a while.

Who else? I ordinarily don't think in those terms. I'm sure that lots of bands have had married couples as members... yes, it CAN BE problematic! But "boyfriend/girlfriend" can be just as bad!

Oh, yeah. Paul McCartney had Linda in the band for a while...... whether he would have hired her had she been a stranger, I wonder!

Are you guys talking about Abba?

At first I thought they were talking about The Mamas and The Papas. :facepalm: But I guess that was more of a three-way situation than two married couples.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

John and Christine MACVie were the less tempestuous couple, and married. But that's secondhand news.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Christine and John McVie split up after the recording of Fleetwood Mac and before Rumours was recorded. So did Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. Mick Fleetwood also split up with his wife.

But they made one of the best albums in history, (winning a Grammy for best album of the year and selling 40 million copies) so it's all good.

Go Your Own Way, indeed.

You Make Lovin' Fun....for someone else.

But they made one of the best albums in history, (winning a Grammy for best album of the year and selling 40 million copies) so it's all good.

Some of their tunes were pretty catchy, but I still think that Stevie Nicks' voice is reminiscent of a

. Her vocal tremolo (or whatever you call it) always drove me up the wall.

Does your wife like her style, Jeremy? Just wondering what a professional songstress thinks.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

I think I'm one of the very few people who grew up in the suburbs and never had a copy of "Rumours". I find that a little funny since some people have found some similarities between my own playing and John McVie's.

I can't say that I'm a Stevie Nicks fan. And I also find her vibrato kind of annoying. But she's been a pioneer for other women in rock music, and with that alone she's incredibly significant. I recently read Danny Goldberg's book Bumping Into Geniuses, and at least a couple of chapters are devoted to how Goldberg helped steer the direction of Stevie Nicks' solo career. It definitely made for an interesting read and shed some light on just how many industry obstacles she had to overcome in order to get a solid solo career moving. But I'm also mindful that the woman did tremendous damage to her own ability to sing with her substance issues.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Some of their tunes were pretty catchy, but I still think that Stevie Nicks' voice is reminiscent of a

. Her vocal tremolo (or whatever you call it) always drove me up the wall.

Does your wife like her style, Jeremy? Just wondering what a professional songstress thinks.

What she thinks may not be printable in this forum.

I'll get to play all that material with the Fleetwood Mac Tribute band "Rumours" on August 15 in Los Gatos. It is the same series as two years ago when Jeremy came down to see us. Only this time I'll be sitting down since it will be only five weeks after my ankle surgery.

Found a link for this concert: http://www.rumoursmusic.com/Welcome.html

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I always liked Stevie Nicks voice. It was just so unique, no one else sounds like her. But then again, I like Joe Cocker, Dwight Yoakum, Geddy Lee, Jon Anderson, Bob Dylan, Bob Weir, Louis Armstrong, Mick Jagger, Willie Nelson, Tome Petty and countless other's vocals too.

Ok so yesterday we got together with the other couple. Went well for a while. Guitarist is fantastic but has HUGE ego. Singing wife is not fantastic and has HUGE ego. She sang some cool stuff on back up but her lead vocals were lounge singer stuff at best. The trouble occurred when she claimed to have "dibs" on a bunch of songs, some of which were on my wife's set list. No give and take was going to occur, she wanted them all. It was less about the songs (there are plenty of good songs out there) and more about the attitude. Example: All of Pat Benetar's songs were claimed and not to be sung by my wife. They were sure she could not sing them as well (never heard her sing them, but they were sure). I have heard both ladies sing Hit Me with Your Best Shot, I am fairly objective, it was not even close, this lady brought junk. I have recordings.... it remains junk upon review...

I know that these two have been having trouble finding folks to play with because they were willing to drive and hour and 15 minutes for rehearsals to play with us.

When we advertised we said we were looking for my wife to sing about 70% of the night, right up front. She agreed to compromise to 50% since it seemed to be important and reasonable. This lady claimed to be classically trained(sounded like it) and a professional (but brought no mic with her). We agreed the chemistry was bad and they left. Was fun while we did it but also good to find this crap now and not a year into the project.... We will keep looking.

When we advertised we said we were looking for my wife to sing about 70% of the night, right up front. She agreed to compromise to 50% since it seemed to be important and reasonable. [...] We agreed the chemistry was bad and they left. Was fun while we did it but also good to find this crap now and not a year into the project.... We will keep looking.
As will they, although they'll never stop. If they had been willing to compromise, like you guys did, you'd be looking for a drummer now instead. Huge loss on their part.

I've run into something similar before. We auditioned a Berklee grad (guitarist). He played the audition songs well enough (not great, just well enought) but brought way too much attitude with him. Later I heard him say about us, "I can't believe those guys can get gigs". And we still do. Yet I haven't heard of him playing any shows.

Archived