Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Excuses you've used to justify gear purchases to yourself

Kayvon

I don't buy new gear.

I just come here and talk about buying new gear. :)

Eric buys it. Writes a Keyboard Magazine article about it. Mentions some little thing that he wishes were done differently. And I get over it.

GAS can be confounding.

Eric helps. :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
by ITGITC:

GAS can be confounding.

And expensive too. I gave up on trying to buy the latest and the greatest years ago, I can't afford it. :( But I'm happy with my KB rig, it does the job and I can get it to do what I want to do with it. GAS is FUN, if you have the money to play around. :rawk:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I use these rules when regarding gear purchases

1) Am I buying this to use it (do I need it), or to earn the envy of my friends (do I want it)? At one time I was seriously considering a Buchla 200e - I changed my mind when I couldn't satisfy the former but it satisfied the latter.

2) Will I use it for minimum ten years? This rule keeps me off the upgrade treadmill. It's one of the reasons I avoid software instruments.

3) Are parts available? I love vintage stuff and I maintain a bench to keep it running. But there are certain things I avoid. A good example are ARP synths - those slidepots do not age well and direct replacements are extremely hard to source.

4) Will I have time to get competent on this new instrument? You reach a point where you don't have time or resources for so many toys. I would love a model railroad layout but I frankly don't have the time for it. I do play guitar and have a couple of good amps and guitars, but with keyboards being my primary instrument I resist temptation (which is way too easy with all the gadgets available to geetar players).

5) Is this a potential money pit? Modulars fall under this rule. It is hard to be satisfied with a configuration and expansion of modulars can be easily justified. You're pouring a lot of $$$ to satisfy your whim.

The only excuse I use for justifying a new gear purchase is that it supersedes and consolidates the sound/features of older gear.

I was able to get almost 10 years out of my last KB. I'll only unload my current one if I feel that newer KB is a major improvement. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The only excuse I use for justifying a new gear purchase is that it supersedes and consolidates the sound/features of older gear.

I was able to get almost 10 years out of my last KB. I'll only unload my current one if I feel that newer KB is a major improvement. :cool:

Prof,

You should cop one of those new Rhodes and a bunch of outboard gear. :cool::wave:

Regards,

Joe

Nah Joe, one sound in the box is a deal-breaker nowadays. :laugh:

Besides, I played a nice, used Mark II stage piano this past Saturday for less than a 1/3 the price of a Mark 7. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Besides, I played a nice, used Mark II stage piano this past Saturday for less than a 1/3 the price of a Mark 7. ;):cool:
You paid that much just to play it?!?! :laugh:

Nah, but they might have raised the price when I left. :D:cool:

PD

My common thought is "I only need one more keyboard to be happy." :whistle:

My real reason is curiosity and satisfaction. Since my early days of wondering what makes a Moog sound different than a Arp I've been buying and experimenting with various sound devices. Synths, guitars, basses, effects pedals, drums, percussion, horns, even harmonicas. I never met an instrument that I did not enjoy spending time with. Lately I've been getting modular synth components and effects pedals. Warning: ZVex Fuzz Factory +Livewire Vulcan Modular + Livewire Dalak Modulator = blown speaker and ringing ears. :crazy:

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Yeah Mike "The upgrade threadmill". I stopped chasing the "ultimate set up" years ago. First of all, there's no such thing, its sort of like Santa Clause. Constantly upgrading to the next generation is expensive, with minimal improvement in your sound palette. The only one that will notice is us, not the people listening. Lack of money forced me off the thread mill. But I'm not complaining. I've had to use what I have and that forced me to make better use of my equipment.

ROI (return on investment) is something that I keep in mind whenever I have bought anything in the last 5 years. Gigs have to pay for my equipment. Decent paying gigs are tougher to find in today's economy and I'm not the cheapest act around. I won't play and lose money in the process.

All that said, if I had a lot of "disposable income" I could spend on toys, I would.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived