Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Consignment Dealers - Any caveats?

Hi folks - I have a couple of boutique-y audio items I'd like to sell. Maybe a little too "big-ticket" for eBay, and I admit I have a slight clenching of the sphincter area when I think of closing a large gear deal with someone thousands of miles away. Auction sites aside, and apart from just word-of-mouth, I know of a couple of audio companies that do consignment deals for this sort of stuff. I just have no experience with them at all. Are there any to watch out for? Is it a terrible way to sell gear? Email me at [email]whynot@well.com[/email] if you'd rather keep your comments private. Many thanks, John

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had good experiences with a local consignment store over the past few years. All the items I've sold were in the $100-500 range (a keyboard and a few sound modules, a Tascam 644, and a MIDI interface). I can tell from checking E-Bay that I'd received more for items I'd sold on consignment than I would have receive via auction, even with the 15% commission the store takes. The store I used has a 1 month minimum. If you reclaim the item before 30 days, you have to pay the 15%. After 30 days, you can pick up the item at any time with no fee. You can also entitle the store to reduce the price by 10% after 30 days. If it's a consignment at a local store where you can personally stop by every few weeks to check on your items, I can't see any real downside.

Using [url=http://www.dogpile.com]www.dogpile.com[/url] (boolian search engine - 14 crawlers no waiting) I recently found a private vintage guitar site (NOT Vintage Guitar Magazine) that talks about the general and specific pitfalls of we he calls "the consignment scam". Sorry I haven't got the URL for you - but it should be easy to find on the "pile". Good hunting. If I run across the site I'll post it here.

Archived