Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT-band photos etc

fingertalkin

The one thing that a pro photographer will do, that no friend or family member can do, is put you in 'poses' that look natural.

No one (unless they are a celeb or a model who spends hours getting photographed regularly) naturally looks comfortable in a photo.

I've had photos taken by many different photographers and the ones that work the best are the ones where the photographer has got me relaxed first then tried lots of different poses.

Take several changes of clothes, the photographer is a pro for a reason, usually because they have a very artistic eye and will 'know' what will look good, ,they will suggest what will work best. Take time to discuss the image you want to portray.

A pro photographer will not be afraid to upset you by suggesting you stand in a certain way because you look bad with your arms in one position or you look fat from one angle or ugly under certain lighting conditions.

You wouldn't get your mate to drum in your band just because he owns a drum set. Photography is no different. I've many pro photographer friends and once they tell you what makes a bad photo you will never look at a photo the same way again. Its a curse - just like being a bass player - you never listen to a song without listening to the bass line first.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously though..

Have you guys thought about a natural (for you) setting? For instance a country band may have everyone sit at a card table in a bar, like the infamous "dog's playing poker" picture.

Do you guys have a decent pic of you playing?

I'd also downplay the image, given your style of music. Muted color or B&W, a bit of a foggy/clouded/distorted image. You may want to think that this thing will be reproduced at lessor qualities and inlaid onto a standard promo poster and cut/cropped or manipulated and out of your control.

No matter what, it will seem cliche and you won't be satisfied with it.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I may keep it simple. You can see some examples of what he has done with entertainers (and everything else) at www.rmpstudios.net

If you scroll through the gallery of entertainers, the long haired guy playing the fretless J bass is great. Actually, that whole band is really good. They are a lot of fun.

How do you sign a computer screen?

That's exactly what I was talking about. Posed pics that look natural. When the photographer is good, it doesn't really matter too much what you wear.

Who will take the pics of the drummer though?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I don't know. My wife was a photography major and worked for Olan Mills (a portrait studio here in the states) when they were open. Maybe she could snap the shots.

She has done a few weddings. She is very artistic and natural. She has a calming sense about her when doing portraits.

How do you sign a computer screen?

I may keep it simple. You can see some examples of what he has done with entertainers (and everything else) at www.rmpstudios.net

If you scroll through the gallery of entertainers, the long haired guy playing the fretless J bass is great. Actually, that whole band is really good. They are a lot of fun.

Those are all great pictures.

Archived