Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bobby's gone out to the ball game...

Aidan

For those of you who aren't on Facebook, our very own Bobby Cressey posted the following:

3 months of pursuit culminates in this: I am now the San Diego Padres Organ Player (only for 6 home games, but still...

Many congrats, Bobby!

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_00lNbmW9s

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats, Bobby! Have fun with that gig.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The Twins have a new ballpark this year. I wonder if that also means a new organ, although this is one circumstance where a cheesy-sounding organ is accpetable! I would quit my day job to be the organist for the Chicago Cubs. I would also add a couple of synths to the mix. Congrats on the very cool gig!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The Twins have a new ballpark this year. I wonder if that also means a new organ, although this is one circumstance where a cheesy-sounding organ is accpetable! I would quit my day job to be the organist for the Chicago Cubs. I would also add a couple of synths to the mix. Congrats on the very cool gig!

+1 on that!

And congratulations!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I don't know anyone more genuinely enthusiastic about their gig than Sue (MN Twins organist). She loves the job and she loves the Twins. Sue was long-time organist for the MN North Stars (hockey club, prior to their move to Dallas).

There does seem to be a bit of a "knack" required to do that sports organ job. I have other friends (good players) who have subbed for the Twins and have not been asked back.

Anyway, good luck Bobby. I'm happy to see Baseball remain reasonably traditional in this regard, and we look forward to outdoor baseball again up here on the north coast.

TWB

+1 on that!

And congratulations!

Tony, we must take in a Cubs game one day this summer....call off work, head out to Wrigley, watch the game, and get good and shit-faced. Sorry for the sidebar folks.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Hey congrats Bobby ! :thu: Cool gig.

No altered chords and you'll be fine. :)

Looks like MLB is providing some employment opportunities to musicians.

I have a St. Louis Cardinals promo that I played on and actually have a "big" 8 bar solo in the middle ala Bill Payne/Garth Hudson R&R style. I'm sworn to keep it under wraps by the ad agency till the first pitch is thrown out at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. After the opening call of "Play Ball", I'll put it up in the shameless plugs section.

Bobby, congrats in getting that gig. It will lead to more opportunities. Keep the faith mayne. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Aidan beat me to the announcement!

Thanks everybody.

I have been doggedly pursuing this thing for 3 months ever since moving down to San Diego at the beginning of the year. This is probably the first time I've ever pursued something this hard and this long, and had it pay off.

As many of you know, less than half of MLB ballparks have live organ anymore. Nancy Bea Hefley at Dodger stadium, the Yankees, the Brewers, the Mets, the Cubs, the Royals, the Indians, the Phillies, the Marlins, the Chisox, the Redsox, the Reds.

There is a cool website that has all of them listed:

Ballpark Organists

I am a pretty big baseball fan so in many ways, this is a dream gig.

However, this isn't a full time deal, at least not yet. We are actually only talking about 6 games total this season. The Padres have a promotion going for their Thursday home games called 'Throwback Thursdays' where they'll be in retro uniforms and celebrating the more storied franchises of old. The first game on April 15th for instance will be a throwback to the '84 season when they went to the WS. You'd better believe I will be playing organ versions of 'Africa', 'Livin' on a Prayer', and 'Thriller'. That's what they want!

During the audition, I wanted to kind of show them that I could appeal to young, old, traditionalist, San Diego yuppie scum and everything in between. I went out of my way to be prepared, and so on the day I showed them that I could play certain cues for certain players and situations. For example, Heath Bell strikes 2 batters out in the bottom of the 9th, and I played 'Pokerface'. But then I made sure they were aware that I knew all the classics as well, so I took them through a medley of charges and some Beatles, the Chicken Dance, Take Me Out To The Ballgame, etc..

The funny thing is, during the audition, their feedback was pretty stony and cold. They weren't vibing off of what I was playing much, and they weren't really giving me anything to go off of at all. I'm always used to there being a reaction when I perform for somebody, and these guys gave me very little to go on. I thought I had bombed it frankly. But they must have just had their own pokerfaces happening, and didn't want to give anything away. Also, who knows, maybe the other people they auditioned (only 2 or 3 other people from what I gather) were fussier about pay or availability.

Either way, the gig she's mine now, and I'm psyched. Check out this pic from the audition. No, the park organ isn't a Motif! I brought that as a controller for my XM-2 rack, which, when they brought it up in the house, was a very sweet sound!!!

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs408.snc3/24704_854344529584_3312409_47904852_4199050_n.jpg

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I ain't much of a pedals player to be honest Zeph. Fortunately for this gig, I'm not exactly required to play like this:

[video:youtube]

But more like this:

[video:youtube]

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

Bobby - I am a major baseball fan, travelling with friends on ballpark trips to the Midwest and California the past couple of years. We started in San Diego last September - really dug the stadium - and worked our way up the coast to catch as many games in as many cities as possible.

You truly have my dream gig! Enjoy it man, and best of luck!

Here for the gear.

Bobby - congratulations! This is great news. :thu:

I remember when I came to LA a few years ago and needed a keyboard to use for a couple of days you tried to help me out. - Thank you for that! I appreciate your generosity.

I'm very happy for you & wish you the best!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Congrats, Bobby! As a Dodger fan, I can't root for the Padres, but I can wish you best of luck in this sweet gig. :)

Thank you, my undeniable and eternal enemy in the NL west.

Actually, I am a secondary Dodgers fan. Padres first, Dodgers second. I know that sounds crazy, but that's how I roll. Same way I dig the Broncos after the Chargers.

Congrats man! Sweet gig. Listen, I have an F7 voicing that uses all 12 tones if you need it, might work great for those late game blowouts....

Last year the Padres broke their record for longest game in their franchise history, and I think they got towards the all time record. They played some freakish 20 something inning game that went until about 1 AM. If I am playing for one of these marathons I'm going to start going to forbidden waters for sure.

How much $ do you want for the F7 voicing? I'm having issues seeing how the E natural and the F# are going to fit in there, but anything is possible. Can you maybe loan it to me? How do you play that with your jacked thumbs?

How much $ do you want for the F7 voicing? I'm having issues seeing how the E natural and the F# are going to fit in there, but anything is possible. Can you maybe loan it to me? How do you play that with your jacked thumbs?
You either have to sustain the F with the pedal, have a bass player play the F, or drop it on organ pedals

Here's the voicing

Resolves nicely to any demented version of a G/Bb where the B nat is on top....

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

You either have to sustain the F with the pedal, have a bass player play the F, or drop it on organ pedals

Here's the voicing

Resolves nicely to any demented version of a G/Bb where the B nat is on top....

I like how you have it sustaining for 4 bars for me to really get the idea. Can't wait to hit them with that gem. I think I'll use my cellphone to hold down all those white notes around middle C.

Archived