Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kbd Mag- a new low

mcgoo

So the guy doesn't play kbs?

I'm also a little confused.

Ah well, Greg can join me at my new forum: The Curmudgeon's Corner. He can be a charter member.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a DJ? As in (as Tony would say)pressing "play"?

But can he play a keyboard?

I'll ask again. Did you read the article??

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my copy, so...no. Assuming you have read the article, Steve, what is your opinion of this guy? Someone said he was a DJ, I was just pulling Tony's chain.

I get in trouble even when I'm not around! LOL
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I read the article 'cause I always read the articles. You never know where you might learn something valuable. I normally don't care for the kind of music he's making, but I found his process interesting. It got me to take another look at FXpansion's DCAM Synth Squad which does indeed sound like real analog (judging from the demos).

Since several people have not seen the issue yet, let me point out that there is a person wearing a mouse head on the cover, but underneath it says

"deadmau5

On Making Dance Floor Hits With Analog Synths"

I once MDed a multi artist show that included Sun Ra. He wore a tin foil hat with antennae sticking out of the top.

I've always dug what you have to say, but especially now more than ever. :thu:

Ah gee shucks, Im feelin the love! :thu:

I know EXACTLY how you feel and can definitely relate as I've felt the same revulsion / terror for the unknown.

I dunno that much makes me feel terror, but there is certainly plenty that makes me feel incompetent (pretty much any jazz pianist).

Not knowing who Deadmau5 was, I would also probably be like 'what the hell is he doing on the cover'?

I guess heres the difference for me. If a picture of the guy standing next to his modular rig had been on the cover, it probably would have been the 1st thing I would have turned to. I probably would have read the article right away & then gotten online to check out the dudes music. Instead I saw the picture and went WTF?

They just need to change the name of the mag to "Keyboards and other shit". :laugh:
LOL- Brilliant!

Ah well, Greg can join me at my new forum: The Curmudgeon's Corner. He can be a charter member.

Once again, Im feelin the love! :thu:

I once MDed a multi artist show that included Sun Ra. He wore a tin foil hat with antennae sticking out of the top.

I remember reading about him in a keyboard article back in the 70's. .... and I thought of him when people pointed out others with gimmicks, like Wakeman, Elton & Liberace. I also thought of Devo & that's when I started feeling a little stupid for my 1st post.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

here's a song to listen to:

Any modern DJ that can put this much organ into a current dance beat deserves Jon Lord type praise (for what that's worth).

With the added synth, this guy might be keeping all keyboard players in work for the next 30 years....

We'll be doing Deadmou5 (pronounced dead mouse, btw)covers in 20 years....

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

.....They just need to change the name of the mag to "Keyboards and other shit". :laugh:

Mitch Hedberg certainly would have approved!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

http://starling.rinet.ru/music/sleeves/zap_resident.jpg

Now, THERE'S a feature I'd buy the mag for. Can we get Fortner to head up to SF to grab an exclusive as soon he gets over the jetlag from Frankfurt?

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

Quite frankly, Keyboard magazine is doing its job in keeping up with how music and technology are being utilized today.

Sure, the magazine could stick to [insert KB heroes here] and suffer from a further reduced audience. OTOH, by incorporating all types of musos who either play and/or use KB technology, they reach more folks. Plain and simple.

I just checked for Piano magazine and their website is currently unavailable. Go figure. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

What would cause me to worry about Keyboard Magazine is seeing a complete lack of new, exciting musicians on the cover. Seriously, and this is saying nothing against these fine artists, but another cover with Chick, or Emerson, or Wakeman, or anyone else who did most of their well-known work 30+ years ago would indicate that innovation in keyboard playing is a dying art.

So while I understand the reluctance to accept new artists or to feel like a look is gimmicky, I think we should all be glad that there are innovative people continually coming into the fold. It's certainly not a "new low" by any definition. :)

And yeah, according to the article (and what I've heard of his music), Deadmau5 is actually pretty cool and does use a ton of synths. I'd say he qualifies as a cover subject. :thu:

What would cause me to worry about Keyboard Magazine is seeing a complete lack of new, exciting musicians on the cover. Seriously, and this is saying nothing against these fine artists, but another cover with Chick, or Emerson, or Wakeman, or anyone else who did most of their well-known work 30+ years ago would indicate that innovation in keyboard playing is a dying art.

So while I understand the reluctance to accept new artists or to feel like a look is gimmicky, I think we should all be glad that there are innovative people continually coming into the fold. It's certainly not a "new low" by any definition. :)

And yeah, according to the article (and what I've heard of his music), Deadmau5 is actually pretty cool and does use a ton of synths. I'd say he qualifies as a cover subject. :thu:

I agree with everything you said. Indeed, deadmau5 belongs on the cover- his goofy head gear does not! :laugh:

I know, I know... I'm :deadhorse:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I just checked for Piano magazine and their website is currently unavailable. Go figure. :cool:

Which one were you looking for? Pianist Magazine or International Piano?

Larry.

Thanks Larry. I hadn't checked for those two sites.

Serious players in Pianist Magazine. No gimmicks there. Even Lang Lang can really play. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

No gimmicks there. Even Lang Lang can really play. :):cool:

Check out Lang Lang's shoes in this publicity photo for his upcoming performance here in Chicago. Some would say that they are the classical equivalent of Joel Zimmerman's mouse head:

http://www.chicagosistercities.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/langlang_photo_detlef-schneider.jpg

"You can sacrifice your sacharo

Working in the back row ...

Bump in a dump till you're dead.

Kid you gotta have a gimmick

If you wanna get ahead."

Stephen Sondheim, 1959

Check out Lang Lang's shoes in this publicity photo for his upcoming performance here in Chicago. Some would say that they are the classical equivalent of Joel Zimmerman's mouse head

In Lang's case, I would say the shoes are hip (match his outfit) moreso than a gimmick.

More importantly, after he finishes wearing that piano out, he might have to sprint to the limo to keep those adoring fans at bay. :laugh::cool:

PD

Check out Lang Lang's shoes in this publicity photo for his upcoming performance here in Chicago. Some would say that they are the classical equivalent of Joel Zimmerman's mouse head

In Lang's case, I would say the shoes are hip (match his outfit) moreso than a gimmick.

More importantly, after he finishes wearing that piano out, he might have to sprint to the limo to keep those adoring fans at bay. :laugh::cool:

I'd argue that that's the direction classical musicians need to go if they want to draw crowds. Get rid of the stuffiness, get more relaxed to draw the younger crowds in so the music (and the jobs) survives.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I'd argue that that's the direction classical musicians need to go if they want to draw crowds. Get rid of the stuffiness, get more relaxed to draw the younger crowds in so the music (and the jobs) survives.

+1000000000

I went to a University with world class classical music program. While some of my teachers were hip, open minded and fun, a bunch were pretentious cocksuckers. You know the type to call classical music "serious music" or "art music."

As if jazz or pop or rock musicians didn't take their music seriously or it couldn't be considered art. I couldn't wait to get out of that school.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

K, I agree. If Lang's attitude matches his look especially with his talent, I think it is great for classical music without being gimmicky. :cool:

PD

K, I agree. If Lang's attitude matches his look especially with his talent, I think it is great for classical music without being gimmicky. :cool:

+1

Not sure what that means exactly, but...

+1 :laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I agree with everything you said. Indeed, deadmau5 belongs on the cover- his goofy head gear does not! :laugh:

:D

I didn't mean to pile on, by the way. As time goes by, I've also hit an age where I tend to look at certain people as if they just got off a spaceship from Rigel 4. But still, we musicians have always tended to go for the outrageous/outlandish vibe in order to be noticed... and had Deadmau5 not appeared wearing his trademark mouse head, we probably wouldn't be discussing him now and checking out his stuff. Mission accomplished, I'd say. ;)

:D

I didn't mean to pile on, by the way. As time goes by, I've also hit an age where I tend to look at certain people as if they just got off a spaceship from Rigel 4. But still, we musicians have always tended to go for the outrageous/outlandish vibe in order to be noticed... and had Deadmau5 not appeared wearing his trademark mouse head, we probably wouldn't be discussing him now and checking out his stuff. Mission accomplished, I'd say. ;)

Tonight, the entire band I'm playing with will be in face paint.

Or purple leather thongs.

One of the two....

One of the two....

... you know what I haven't seen in a long time?

A Village People tribute band.

Don't know what made me think of that ...

Larry.

One of the two....

Izzat BEFORE or AFTER the gig? :rimshot:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

One of the two....

so um, Kevin... will you be playing your big organ with that band whilst dressed in a purple leather thong?

Possibly ;)

...although the idea of playing my Wurly through my 147 tonight is definitely appealing

Archived