Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bill Fitzmaurice...which one?

fingertalkin

I know some of you know about these plans. I think I want to try one. I am skilled at woodworking and built car systems before, so why not. Question is, which one? I am thinking either the Omni 15 tall boy or the Jack 12...I think he has an optional 2x12 which is probably what I would do.

Suggestions?

How do you sign a computer screen?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently built a pair of BFM Jack 10 cabs to use as FOH speakers with my sons' band.

At last Friday's gig, I put my bass through them and used my B2 strictly as a monitor for me and my drummer/son. The sound out in the room was amazing for such small inexpensive cabs! I had a hard time convincing a bass player in the audience that what he was hearing of my bass was coming through the Jack 10s.

I didn't like the low end when I first built them, but then again, I didn't "burn in" the drivers before using them. Now that they're loosening up, they sound good with my bass...Last night at rehearsal I didn't even set my rig up....just direct into the PA.

I would imagine the jack 12s sound even better.

Have you visited the BFM forum? Lots of bass players there use Jacks or Omnis.

I started posting there to get advice/help with my cabs. Then I sort of "blogged" my build and posted a review.

There's a lot info posted there from sound engineering types. I've been spending WAY too much time studying/learning there.

I have no experience building or playing BFM cabs. I've read a great deal about them and I talk to several people on TB who have built and use(d) them. They look like pretty solid designs.

I'm partial, however, to greenboy's "fEarful" designs which he has published free of charge and which are currently on their 6th megathread on TB. I think they seem a bit more practical for a gigging bass player as far as size and portability with unparalleled performance. I'm in the midst of building a 12" 3-way and a 12" sub.

While Bill and greenboy can both come off a bit miserly in communications online, they're both great guys with a serious passion for their craft and I have the utmost respect for them both.

Whether you do a BFM or fEarful build, keep us updated!

I bought the plans for the Jack 12 and the Omni Tallboy 12. After reading the fEarful stuff, I think that will be better suited for me after I get a solid build under my belt. From my pricing stuff, speakerhardware.com has prebuilt kits for BFM designed cabs including speakers and hardware, I should get this cab built for under $250. I will be putting in 4 piezo tweeters, which I am kind of scared about but will give it a shot. If I like it, I will build another with no tweeters for underneath it.

It is going to be fun!

How do you sign a computer screen?

Nice. Don't be worried about the piezos. As long as the buffer (usually built into the crossover) is well designed they can do wonders. Zac (the old bass player for Booty Vortex and the builder of the ZacLite cabs...search TB for those bad boys) did some fantastic work with a piezo array in his first ZL210 build.

...and keep us updated with pictures!

I had reservations about the piezos before I built the Jack10s.

They are not overly bright and "harsh" as is often the case with piezos.

It seems that using several of them in a vertical array smooths out the response, just as Bill Fitzmaurice claims.

One note on Leland Crooks (speakerhardware.com) packaging: He utilizes every bit of space...I couldn't find the throat fillers until he told me they were packed in one of the driver boxes.

Davio,

Thanks for giving me the idea to research Greenboy's fEarful cabs. I've been spending a lot of my free time reading through the threads. (Currently up to mid Sept.)

I'm thinking seriously about building a fEarful 12/6 to (hopefully) replace my B2 in louder environments.

Davio,

Thanks for giving me the idea to research Greenboy's fEarful cabs. I've been spending a lot of my free time reading through the threads. (Currently up to mid Sept.)

I'm thinking seriously about building a fEarful 12/6 to (hopefully) replace my B2 in louder environments.

That's what I'm here for.

Or something... :)

I'm currently stuck in the middle of a 12/6 and 12sub build but I decided to take the gf on a cruise for graduation/birthday next month so all my money is tied up there.

I built the BFM Jacks to use for a small PA, not as bass guitar cabs. My PA needs are minor: 2 voices, an acoustic guitar, and a little reinforcement for my bass. Portability was one of my primary requirements. The Jack 10 cabs seem perfect for my needs.

I chose the fEarful 12/6 over the 15/6 because of it's size and weight. I don't really need the sensitivity of a 15/6, but I am hoping the 12/6 will be more sensitive/louder than my Acme B2.

I don't need war volume, but I do need to fit all my bass gear into my car, along with the band's entire PA setup.

Archived