Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lookin' for a tone...

picker

How would you go about getting the tone Pete Townshend got on the redux of "Sparks" during "My Generation" On Live At Leeds, but at a volume level that won't get you thrown out of every club and most bands in the US?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm... probably use a low gain overdrive channel (or just a low gain setting) from a good master volume tube or solid state ANALOG amp. If you're using an amp sim, use a setting similar to a Hiwatt or a Marshall Plexi.

Have at least 2 12 inch speakers around (2x12 combo is great for this), then set the the gain to an AC/DC like level with the guitar volume and tone controls maxed out. Play a few complex sounding chords (like sus4) to ensure your guitar comes through well. EQ it with the bass in the middle, then the mid and treble at 2 o clock. Keep the presence in the middle, if the amp has a presence knob.

Your tone should be chimey, but not too bright. Clean it up with the guitar's volume knob. Great with P-90's but works well with Strat single coils, and even some high output humbuckers that have extra high end.

Hmm... probably use a low gain overdrive channel (or just a low gain setting) from a good master volume tube or solid state ANALOG amp. If you're using an amp sim, use a setting similar to a Hiwatt or a Marshall Plexi.

Have at least 2 12 inch speakers around (2x12 combo is great for this), then set the the gain to an AC/DC like level with the guitar volume and tone controls maxed out. Play a few complex sounding chords (like sus4) to ensure your guitar comes through well. EQ it with the bass in the middle, then the mid and treble at 2 o clock. Keep the presence in the middle, if the amp has a presence knob.

Your tone should be chimey, but not too bright. Clean it up with the guitar's volume knob. Great with P-90's but works well with Strat single coils, and even some high output humbuckers that have extra high end.

Straight-up; only thing I'd add is, work on your "touch", particularly picking-hand attack, position, nuance. Get as springy and alive of an overdriven tone as you can, and take full advantage of its responsiveness.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Does anyone know where to get an accurate tab of anything, at least online ?

I suppose there might be some available through private sources (& there are various services offered in the classifieds of various mags) but when I've looked at tabs online they fall into these categories: small percentage, vaguely like the sought item; larger percentage, severely flawed; vast majority, a direct copy of a version fitting one of those previous categories, pasted into another tab site.

Try a Web search for "my generation + tabs" like this one.

That said, I seem to recall something like this in one of the previous GPlayer lessons, either a "Play like Pete" brief or even a full transcription.

If I can locate what I'm thinking of, I'll let ya know, otherwise maybe contact Eric or one of the other back-issue-packrats.

If yer into it you could contact one of those other geetar rags to see if they've got it or start petitioning Jesse Gress!

The real rock&roll thing, though, would be to just approximate it as best you can.

d=halfnote

THe chordal progression for the second to the last movement, which is a reprise of "sparks" which they had done earlier in the show as part of the performance of the entire Tommy opera. I've never been able to figure out all of the triad fingerings Townshend plays through that part of it. Neither did the guy in the video.

I no longer have a copy of that & when I look at available tracks, for instance at YTube, there seems to be some conflicting material: different lengths, etc.

Hoping not to seem too dense, I wonder if you could point out the relevant timing in one of these...

highlighted guitar

As a change of pace, have you seen these ?

d=halfnote

I no longer have a copy of that & when I look at available tracks, for instance at YTube, there seems to be some conflicting material: different lengths, etc.

Hoping not to seem too dense, I wonder if you could point out the relevant timing in one of these...

highlighted guitar

As a change of pace, have you seen these ?

Neither of the pieces you posted actually has the part I'm talking about.

I general, the section between 1:47 & 4:35, specifically the parts between 2:35 & 2:47, 3:10 & 3:24, and 4:07 & 4:18.

Archived