Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do I need?

execlass2

Hello dear forumites. I need a solid piece of advise here.

Given the following software:

Logic 9

Soundstage 2

NI Komplete 6

Camel Audio Alchemy

Spectrasonics Omnisphere

Spectrasonics Stylus RMX

NI Maschine (hardware / software)

G-Force

Sonic Projects OP-X (can be a reaktor ensemble)

G-Force VSM

Arturia CS-80V

So far I haven't got the spectrasonics software yet. The rest I have been driving it from a McBook Intel dual core 2.40 ghz with a 320 GB hard drive and 4GB RAM, on OSX Leopard. In a few weeks I should be receiving my new Presonus Studiolive 16 mixer / FW audio interface.

Although this is a really great machine, it's limitations surface easily when I start recording audio tracks or even driving several softsynths at the same time. My question is: Given the above, what do I need? I usually find myself using 4-5 different softsynths at the same time, sometimes several stances of each. I plan on going deep with Omnisphere, but I've heard it's very CPU-hungry.

Do I keep my Macbook and get me something like a Receptor or this last VST host from Open Labs or something similar? Or do I go for a bigger MacBook pro when they come with the i7 processor and 8 GB RAM? I mostly do studio work, and ocasionally play live. What's your advise?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Kawai MP7, Kurzweil PC361, DSI Pro2, Streichfett, Nektar P6, NI Maschine Studio, KMI QuNeo, Eventide H9, Zoom MS100BT, VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Arturia BeatStep Pro.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have a second hard drive? If not, that is what you need to start. They can really work minor miracles. You can also freeze or bounce tracks to audio. I have a PC 1.8ghz and 2 gigs of RAM, so I bounce all softsynths to an audio track. It's a pain at times but it has saved me from buying a new computer since money is tight these days.

First, upgrade to 10.6 - it's a better and more stable operating system. Next, get familiar with Bounce in Place. There is no need to keep a finished softsynth track live, particularly if you're using CPU hungry synths. Honestly though, if you're pushing your system that hard, you might want to consider a Mac Pro...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

What, no Trilian? :laugh:

If you're going to use multiple instances of Omni, you'll definitely need more ram, and another hard drive to store all your libraries. Omni is upwards of 44gigs.

So yeah, I'd be thinking of a Mac Pro as well.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Upgrade to 10.6? Really? I must be outdated, because I've heard a few nasty comments about stability of Snow Leopard. But I'll check into that. As for a second hard drive, that's a possibility. What speed do you recommend?

Funny enough no one said go to a dedicated hardware VST host :P

Kawai MP7, Kurzweil PC361, DSI Pro2, Streichfett, Nektar P6, NI Maschine Studio, KMI QuNeo, Eventide H9, Zoom MS100BT, VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Arturia BeatStep Pro.

What speed do you recommend?

Funny enough no one said go to a dedicated hardware VST host :P

7200rpm, standard no?

For the money a hardware host would cost, I'd rather have a new computer.

I can't comment on any of the software, but my guitar player just got one of those presonus mixers, and it's REAL nice.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

As for a second hard drive, that's a possibility. What speed do you recommend?

A second hard drive can work minor miracles. As DanS said, 7200 is standard, 10,000 if you wanna be the coolest kid in school. I'm not that cool.

I use a Seagate 250gig external drive. Quiet as can be. If you really wanted to be cool you would have 3 drives: your main one, one for audio tracks and the 3rd for vstis. I havent gone that far yet. When I get my next computer setup I will go with 3 drives.

These days 3 drives is pretty much a requirement. I haven't done so yet either, but will soon. I have an apps drive, and the second drive doubles as audio & library at the moment. It's almost full with all my sounds, nevermind the audio.

Archived