Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording your own "arpeggio" or "phrase"

Tonysounds

So I decided I want to record a two bar phrase in realtime that I can trigger or loop for a song using either my Motif rack (classic), S90es, or FantomXr. I spent a couple hours with the Fantom trying to do it, but it really doesn't work in real time (imposes its own timing) and wants it step-recorded. You'd think there's an easy way to do this?
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The little dedicated tools like the SP404 are sometimes better for real time. Ableton Live can be configured for this as well.

I have used my Kaoss pad (perched on my S90ES) to record little bass snippets, freeing the bass player and myself to trade fours etc. Right hand plays the bassline, left hand presses the buttons to put it into the Kaoss.

The downside is that (unlike ableton) the Kaoss will not adjust tempo without adjusting pitch. So whatever tempo I recorded the snippet at is what we have to get back to, when I start to use it. Would be nice if I could take the song somewhere compeletely different, then tap-tempo the Kaoss and bring back the snippet we had used before. This works on the Kaoss with unpitched material like drum loops but not on basslines and other pitched snippets. Also the snippet is pretty short (2 bars max) on the Kaoss.

I have thought of getting a foot pedal controller (like the behringer) and running ableton on my mac with it, but I don't have the fortitude to deal with the complexities of the latency, etc. live.

Yeah I thought of that last nite Paul after I went to bed. My Line6 M9 does this, so I think Ill just put that together this evening. Sometimes the obvious solutions are the least fun?

Record your two bar phrase as a Pattern then choose JOB>(F5) TRACK>06:Put Track to Arp. This will create a User Arp that you can then use however you wish. Make sure to save your waork as you go. I used the same method to arpeggiate the intro to Foreigner's "Feels Like the First Time". Keep in mind I did this on an ES. Your Classic may or may not have same menu paths. The S90ES may have the same path if it will do Patterns. Not sure.

Hope this helps!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Record your two bar phrase as a Pattern then choose JOB>(F5) TRACK>06:Put Track to Arp.

Your Classic may or may not have same menu paths. The S90ES may have the same path if it will do Patterns. Not sure.

Tony has a Motif rack and S90ES neither of which has a sequencer. The S90ES does have playback capability once he gets the arp recorded. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Record your two bar phrase as a Pattern then choose JOB>(F5) TRACK>06:Put Track to Arp.

Your Classic may or may not have same menu paths. The S90ES may have the same path if it will do Patterns. Not sure.

Tony has a Motif rack and S90ES neither of which has a sequencer. The S90ES does have playback capability once he gets the arp recorded. :cool:

Yeah, what he said. :)

Can't believe we're up to 8 posts without anyone giving you any crap about this, Tony! I see you at the precipice of a slippery slope... Might need to add some caveats:

"Hitting "play" to trigger a loop or sequence (a) recorded without an audience present or (b) lasting longer than 2 bars does not constitute live performance."

Thank you for noticing! And yes, Im well aware its a slippery slope. I havent decided Im entirely comfortable with the idea. But Ill try anything once; it doesnt mean that Ill make a habit of it.

Can't believe we're up to 8 posts without anyone giving you any crap about this, Tony! I see you at the precipice of a slippery slope... Might need to add some caveats:

"Hitting "play" to trigger a loop or sequence (a) recorded without an audience present or (b) lasting longer than 2 bars does not constitute live performance."

- :laugh: Yeah, it was my first thought!

When I need a loop from a tune, I usually sample it, trim as required in Wavelab, assign it to a pad on my Fantom, then trigger it as required.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

All keyboardists need to arpeggiate once in awhile.

:D

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

As far as "hitting play does not constitute a live performance". I get that as most of us here do, but most often, the audience doesn't. Typically, they don't know or care how you produce your music or sound, they want to hear good music. The Who have been playing back recordings of signature KB parts on their classic songs on stage for years, so what does that make them? Fakers?

I feel that as long as I'm playing my instrument live while I sing, operate and mix my harmonizer live as I go, I'm making a live contribution to the sound. Its great if you can play in a 4 or 5 piece group AND get paid well enough to make doing it worth it. Usually, that's not the case in the 21st century. The nature of music has changed along with people's expectations.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

- :laugh: Yeah, it was my first thought!

Me too! When I saw the title of the thread and tonysounds under it, I thought it was a joke! :P:laugh:

:D I was almost the first to bust chops about this early this morning with a simple "Et tu, Tony?", but I thought it would be better to see how kinder, gentler folks handled it.

The Who have been playing back recordings of signature KB parts on their classic songs on stage for years, so what does that make them? Fakers?

Yes. Big time. The original posers. And cheap bastids too, because they can afford a keyboard player or three. They lost me completely long before that, the first time I saw them smashing gear. Very offensive to the poor kid who wished he had a guitar. I hate to admit that they have some merit and that I like some of their stuff, but I can't listen to any of it without thinking about what self indulgent ******* they are. Of course, if they weren't self indulgent *******, they may never have caught fire the way they did.

--wmp

wmp:

Maybe you should tell me how you REALLY feel!! :D

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

It is really easy on the Fantom. I cant exactly remember the procedure, and my Fantom is packed in the van, but you can either record your part as a pattern in the sequencer, or record it as audio, and then use the RPS function to assign it to a pad or key.

It is really easy on the Fantom. I cant exactly remember the procedure, and my Fantom is packed in the van, but you can either record your part as a pattern in the sequencer, or record it as audio, and then use the RPS function to assign it to a pad or key.

Sigh... folks really need to read posts a little more clearly. Tony has the rack version of the Fantom; therefore no pads, no keys (not even sure about the RPS function on the XR?).

I love Sven! Sven read my post correctly, I own the Fantom Xr(ack), and the MotifR(ack), and the S90es only has playback capabilities.

Folks, after spending over an hour trying to do it as a step-record arpeggio, I said F this, and spent 30 seconds reading the manual for my Line 6 M9 pedal to learn the looper function. Spent another 3 minutes teaching myself how to capture the phrase without rests in front or behind the phrase (that wasnt in the manual!), and now I can fart it in my sleep. Thanks for all the help though!

Yeah bro, I'm not so sure about this new form of GAS (Good At Sequencing) that has induced nighttime flatulence. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Are you kidding me? If other peoples sequencing leaves me in state of . something, why should my own sequencing be any different? I despise the practice! To suggest otherwise would be hypocritical. Im counting on my drummer hating the thing so I can make this whole issue go away.

Archived