Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music Appreciation--Beyond the Notes...Vibe?

ProfD

Jam bands are probably best appreciated live. Similar case could be made for its predecessors-Prog Rock and Fusion.

Some musos dig grooves and solos. Others hear what appears to be a self-indulgent wank-fest.

Sure, a 9-minute long jam seems pretentious on a CD. Yet, it doesn't seem long enough to a crowd of people dancing like crazy to that same tune in a live setting.

On the radio, an Electronica tune that sounds like an endless loop has a different effect in a club. Especially when blended with other tunes.

The 3-minute Pop music formula (catchy hooks) was worked out a long time ago to accommodate average listener attention span and other considerations. ;)

Otherwise, beyond the lyrics, chords, solo, rhythm, etc., vibe could be a key component; 'being there' on some level to truly feel and appreciate the music.

Of course, fans of the music recapture that vibe whenever they hear their favorite band(s) on CD, mp3, radio, etc. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Profd,

I know you don't smoke.

So... just what DID you have for lunch?

:cool:

I had a salad with roasted chicken but I blame caffeine and peanut M&Ms in general. :laugh:

But, vibe explains how we listen to old music as if it was released yesterday. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I understand.

Vibe. Wasn't that a sixties thing?

(Those days are gone forever

Over a long time ago. Oh yeah.) :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Vibe is always alive and well. It just changes from one generation to the next. Some folks can ride it beyond their generation.

Check out Bonnaroo or any other music festival, concert, club date, etc. The music lovers in attendance are having a blast vibing to the bands/artists. :cool:

PD

Archived