Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

check out this Rhodes solo!

yorgatron

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen all kinds of stacks, but I don't think I've ever seen a Rhodes stacked on top of a B3. Classic.

Not common, but in the early- mid-70s not uncommon.

BeBop Deluxe. . .nice pop band. . .and a nice pop tune here. . .I'd forgotten about both.

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

What, no D6 Clavinet too???

I don't see how that rig could utilize the Rhodes sustain pedal. I don't hear much room for sustain either so, maybe he just doesn't need it.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

When I was in high school (a while ago), I used to stack my Wurly on top of my C-3. Then on top of that was my Micro-Moog on a home-made wood "stand" that fit tight around the Wurlitzer and put the Micro at just the right angle.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Bill Nelson was a guitar god. His solo on the live version of "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape" elevates him in my mind into legendary status.

IIRC, back in those days there was talk of two different ways to get the sustain pedal to work for a "stacked" Rhodes - a jury-rigged bicycle cable thing, or an expensive hydraulic solution. Can anyone confirm or deny?

IIRC, back in those days there was talk of two different ways to get the sustain pedal to work for a "stacked" Rhodes - a jury-rigged bicycle cable thing, or an expensive hydraulic solution. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Back then, circa 1977, I'd say no, but a few years later by the MkV the "chain" thing was being talked about.. in fact I think (I might be wrong here) the never released MkiV was to have this kind of pedal... from what I understand the MkVII also was going to have a chain too but they reverted to the old way... for me the pedal is probably the weakest part of a rhodes... I am never happy with it...

A drummer friend of mine, one of the most talented people I ever met, turned me on to these guys back in the 70's.

Later, my friend had a closed-head injury and could no longer play drums. So now he plays keyboards!

In any case, these guys had the skills.

Later, my friend had a closed-head injury and could no longer play drums. So now he plays keyboards!

Hmmm, I would have expected it to be the other way around. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

"Sunbburst Finish" was one of the perfect albums of 1976 and a huge college radio hit. Nice keyboard textures for the day. More interesting than say Styx on "Equinox" which was not a bad Styx album at all.

A perfect cross-over album. Prog rock fans listening to "Trick of the Tail" and Gentle Giant's "Interview" liked it. The glam rockers listening to Bowie/Eno's "Low" liked it. Roxy Music fans liked it.

It had just enough guitar god and synth and modernism to it for the Rush 2112 listeners to like it. The opening track "Fair Exchange" was riffish enough to get good airplay.

Two great albums from them IMHO (Modern Music which followed it) and some great tracks like "Electrical Language" from the albums before and after (Futurama and Drastic Plastic) before Bill Nelson broke up the bad and went "New Wave" all the wrong way with "White Noise".

Saw him during his White Noise era touring with Boston-based band 'The November Group'. TNG was far more interesting than Bill Nelson at the time.

White Noise devolved into that very-early XTC sound while XTC evolved into a more mature sounding band that could have been the heirs of Be Bop Deluxe on "Drums and Wires" and "Black Sea".

Wow!! I've never heard of these guys or this tune. This is from the 70s obviously. I have never heard anyone pre police playing with this kind of Jamaican influence in a 'White' setting. The guitar player sounds like another Stewart Copland, except, well, a different apple on the same tree. If you listen to just his guitar is actually sounds very 3rd wave Ska (mid 90s), or like the jamaican rocksteady players. But these breaks of virtuosity in the middle of the tune, that's another influence entirely.

Cool!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Brian Auger also used to use Rhodes atop a B3... he puts a Korg piano there now...

(Gratuitous excuse to post a hot clip of Brian)

Well, that there was just 8 seconds of awesome!

Archived