Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS Attack - Amp purchased!

Tom Capasso

Funny how things work. I am absolutely a gearhead. I am usually restrained on the number of purchases, but have waited/saved up for high-end stuff.

Here's my latest story.

My cousin Jimmy was in town (he lives about 2 hours north of me). He was my "in person" inspiration for playing bass (I was also inspired by lots of records/players). Jimmy played trombone in scholl an dtol lessons on bass back in the day. He has not played much for many years and has recently joined a band. He then got a call to audition for a big band. They have lots of players for each instrument, so he'd be a sub. They gave him a 400 page book of songs and said they'll pick songs to play. He doesn't think he can pass ("5 flats, and how do I remember what note to play?"), but he's working on it and going to try out. I give him a lot of credit, and I'm sure that he's better than he thinks he is (whether he passes the audition or not).

He has the same equipment now that he had in 1970. A beautiful Gibson EB3 (I think it's a '67, but not sure) and an Ampeg amp. I don't know the model, but it is solid state head that flips upside down into the cab, which has two speakers. The problem is it is too big/tall for this outfit. The regular bass player told him he had to come with som

When Jimmy told me that he needed a small amp to do this audition, I immediately arranged to loan him my EA-500 and a Berg 12. He called me to say how much he likes the rig and how loud it is. He hasn't done much shopping, so this type of equipment is new for him. And by the way - the audition was canceled that week. That's OK - I don't need the amp until March 19th.

Stonefly has a rehearsal scheduled for 3/12. No problem - we use a rehearsal studio. Then we scheduled a vocal rehearsal at one guy's house. And I need a small amp to do that, so I decide to buy a small amp. If I buy something small enough, it can be better for practice around the house than using my current rig. I know my current rig is small, but maybe I can get something more convenient.

I figure I need something very light, small, and with a bit of volume (just in case). No Ampeg or Peavey - too heavy. I started to look on-line and I remembered some of my other shopping experiences. I could probably have spent time shopping/looking/etc. But I figured I could select something that would meet my "light and small" requirements.

I narrowed it down to the Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 10T or the MarkBass MiniMark (with 2x6 speakers). Yeah - not really a "practice amp", but what the heck!

I went to my local stores - no GenzBenz to be found. GC told me that they don't have the MiniMark 2x6, and don't think it will be available any more. But I had been close to buying a bigger GenzBenz a few years back when I got the EA amp.

So I called BassNW and ordered a Shuttle 3.0 10T. I don't usually buy what I haven't played, but I took a shot.

When it arrives (maybe Friday) I'll take pics. I'll use it at church, and enjoy having a single box with a power cord to bring to the den to practice.

And thanks for reading!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congratulations on getting the new amp Tom. I think you'll like the Genz Benz rig. At least I like mine a bunch. I got the M200 1x15 combo last year and like it a lot. It's a good fit with my P/J bass.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Thanks.

Yes Steve - I knew that you have "shuttled" between a variety of GenzBenz amps and liked them. That helped when I was deciding.

If I had unlimited money and space, I'd have taken Maury's advice and bought the GB and the MarkBass (he loves giving me that type of advice).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

They gave him a 400 page book of songs and said they'll pick songs to play. He doesn't think he can pass ("5 flats, and how do I remember what note to play?"), but he's working on it and going to try out.

When I played skinny-string with a big band, the charts for the bass, keyboard and guitar only had chord symbols, not full notation. Except for a line here and there that was necessary for the arrangement.

I'm not sure which would be more difficult for a bass player.

They gave him a 400 page book of songs and said they'll pick songs to play. He doesn't think he can pass ("5 flats, and how do I remember what note to play?"), but he's working on it and going to try out.

When I played skinny-string with a big band, the charts for the bass, keyboard and guitar only had chord symbols, not full notation. Except for a line here and there that was necessary for the arrangement.

I'm not sure which would be more difficult for a bass player.

When I played in church (before I decided to just blatantly live a life of sin :cool: ), we used to use lyric sheets with chord symbols on them. I thought that was very easy to work from. If there was a bass riff or fills, you kinda had to figure those out by ear, or just spin your own...but it worked well and was easy to follow IMO.

Congrats on the new mini-rig Tom!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

In that big band, the bassist played nothing but straight-4 or straight-8 walking lines.

I guess someone who's good at coming up with walking lines on the spot might find it easy. But someone like me? I'd probably fail the audition. Actually, I'd fail even if the lines were written out.

PS My "blatant life of sin" probaly precludes me from EVER playing in church!

Archived