Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes Sighting

MuzikTeechur

I was watching "Caddyshack" this afternoon for some mindless entertainment before my gig tonight.

In the scene when Chevy Chase's character is working on seducing Lacey Underalls (what a great character name), they're both sitting at a Rhodes 73. Chevy is playing the Rhodes and singing her a "love song," and they're both doing tequila shots with the Rhodes as a bar.

Chevy, you're my hero.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I was born to love you

I was born to lick your face

I was born to rub you

But you were born to rub me first"

...how could a girl NOT fall for that? Cindy Morgan, in her "other" great screen role (her great claim to timeless cinema fame, of course, was as Lora/Yori in Tron - perhaps the mother of all modern sci fi movies)

Let me explain myself - lots of the themes that Tron throws up against the wall end up appearing in later movies - the all-knowing mechanized AI which started humbly but became autonomous and malevolent, human characters thrust into an alternate machine reality, the conundrums of events in one reality having consequences in another reality. All of these end up being picked up in later movies like the Matrix and Terminator franchises.

While Ridley Scott's Alien predates Tron by three years, it seemed to me to be more a haunted house-meets-deep-space yarn (albeit, very well done) than introducing big sci-fi themes. Although the genre really benefited from Alien in 1979 - lots of folks (me included) expected more Star Wars-style shoot-em-up shenanigans...and got a rude awakening with the chestbuster scene.

There was a TV/film gear-spotting thread a while back in which I mentioned the Rhodes in "Caddyshack".

It is cool to see one of our beloved KB instruments on screen. Maybe I'll come across that episode of ALF playing the DX7. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

And now I will leave this thread because this discussion is too nerdy even for a keyboard forum. ;)

Hey - watch it, Buddy! I didn't start this to be a discussion of early sci-fi. It was a discussion of Chevy and Lacy at the Rhodes! Rhodes and tequila? Now THAT'S entertainment.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Chase can play it too. But ... evidently he's a bit odd.

A guy I know provided his Rhodes for Chevy for some gig in town.

It's a fairly typical well-used Rhodes, a bit overused but still quite musicworthy.

Chase complained that it was "too low".

o.O ??

Nobody knows whether he meant pitch (it's in tune) or height (it has the factory legs).

I guess He's a big guy, which isn't clear from most of his movie roles. But I wonder what he was expecting.

Regarding SF ...

Tron is the premiere *computer animated* SF flick, and the one that put virtual reality on the map. Anything dealing with that subject clearly faces many of the same plot elements and concepts.

Aliens was fantastic, but the only way in which it was groundbreaking (so far as I know) is that it was the first with female lead. Talk about a great role model!

There were a number of great sci-fi creature features that predated Aliens, though few that matched it in quality. The only one that springs to mind is The Thing, which is a real classic.

Archived