Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hum problem

jbone almighty

i have a 60 cycle hum i can't defeat...pretty bad for an electrician, i know. it's like a cross between flouresent ballast and CRT invades my practice room. if i face east(especially) or west there is so much hum i feedback w/o an amp, pedal, etc. if i turn 90 degrees north/south it goes away for the most part but i can't even move a millimeter w/o the hum coming back. i even shut down the power to my apt bldg to try to stop it. no success. is it the high volt lines out by the road? it also seems to be worse w/ my bootzilla5 w/ the coated strings, anybody had noise problems associated w/ these type of strings? looking for any ideas before i spend $$ getting my trabens tore down and shielded, my fender 5 wasn't shielded and didn't have as much interference, it still had some but wasnt as bad. any ideas?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if i face east(especially) or west there is so much hum i feedback w/o an amp, pedal, etc. if i turn 90 degrees north/south it goes away for the most part but i can't even move a millimeter w/o the hum coming back.

I had this problem until I bought a Monster bass cable.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

i have a 60 cycle hum i can't defeat...pretty bad for an electrician, i know. it's like a cross between flouresent ballast and CRT invades my practice room. if i face east(especially) or west there is so much hum i feedback w/o an amp, pedal, etc. if i turn 90 degrees north/south it goes away for the most part but i can't even move a millimeter w/o the hum coming back. i even shut down the power to my apt bldg to try to stop it. no success. is it the high volt lines out by the road? it also seems to be worse w/ my bootzilla5 w/ the coated strings, anybody had noise problems associated w/ these type of strings? looking for any ideas before i spend $$ getting my trabens tore down and shielded, my fender 5 wasn't shielded and didn't have as much interference, it still had some but wasnt as bad. any ideas?

Do you have a computer on and in the room? This is most often the case. How about one on the floor above you or below you? You say "there is so much hum i feedback w/o an amp, pedal, etc." How are you reading/getting/hearing this hum?

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

if i turn 90 degrees north/south it goes away for the most part but i can't even move a millimeter w/o the hum coming back.

Do you have a computer on and in the room? This is most often the case.

Yes, I do. Fascinating. I thought it was my amp or cable, but switching to the Monster cable fixed it.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Is the hum louder or quieter when you have the bass parrallel to the power lines or 90 degrees to them?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

we can shotgun all day, without a full description of what is in and around the room and what is on, we're all shooting in the dark.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Well not strictly. jbone says its worse east/west than it is north/south. If the power lines run north/south or east/west then I would say that they are the culprits.

Does it change (get louder or quieter) when you touch the strings.

As the strings are coated, it might be worth trying uncoated strings, maybe the coating is stopping the strings from being properly grounded at the bridge. Maybe try cleaning off some coating where they touch the bridge. If that doesn't help check the grounding on the bridge, but as its happening on both basses that's unlikely to be the cause.

Next thing to do is move house. Airborne interference of that magnitude is not going to go away unless you shield the whole room. We had some electrical interference that was affecting the whole village TV signal. It was tracked down to a bad halogen lamp on a farm half a mile away.

I have problems with hum in my house. I wondered about it, but I noticed that the house was the only place that the problem manifested itself (OK - there is the occasional bar). So I stopped worrying about it. I have things that I know cause hum (florescent lights, computer equipment, power lines, etc.), but I can't change (most) of those things. I don't record, so I can live with it.

Best of luck to the original poster.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Is the hum louder or quieter when you have the bass parrallel to the power lines or 90 degrees to them?

Sounds like it's definitely the power lines then. Try changing your strings for non-coated ones first. Also check that the bridge is grounded properly (use a multimeter between the bridge and instrument socket) and check that the strings are making good electrical contact with the bridge, this should prevent them from acting like an aerial.

I recall a Brother Dave Gardner story in which one of the characters tells the other he's gonna hit him on the head so hard he'll hum like a bent ten-penny nail hit with a greasy ball-peen hammer...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived