Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strings for a hollowbody electric

simpleman3441

I'm posting photos in another thread. It'll be up as soon as they're done uploadin. I'm considering 9.5's for it right now. Will let you guys know how that goes when I can get around to it.
We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'VE BEEN DOIN' THIS FOR 45+ YRS.

A GOOD WAY TO BRING THAT ARM UP TO PAR IS THE SCALLOPED NECK

ALAH Y. MALSTEEN OR RICHIE BLACKMORE.

YOU MIGHT GET SO ENTRANCED WITH THE NEW POSSIBILITES YOU WON'T GO BACK AND RUN OUT AND HAVE SOME OF THOSE AXES SCALLOPED.

I THINK THAT THIS IS A GOOD TIME TO MENTION THE BANE OF ALL GUITARESTS,

CARPOL TUNNEL. TAKE THIE 5 MINS. A DAY TO DO THE FINGER & WRIST EXCERCISES AND YOU WILL BE A HEAVY STEEL MAN. I'VE GOT 1 GUITAR A DOBRO WITH 16'S AND OOOOO-BABY

PIDGE

I also heard that Vaughan used 13's and wished I had bigger stronger hands to try that. I was pushed by my jazz instructor to try 12's and I think that was one of the catalysts for my injury.

That brings up a real sore point for me that probably should be addressed in another thread. I think a lot of people are courting injury by using these monster heavy gauge strings in the name of Stevie Ray Vaughan. Something that not a lot of people know is that toward the end of his life, SRV's guitar tech was telling him to switch to a lighter gauge, because he was wearing his hands down with the .013's, even when they were tuned to Eb.

I don't think it's necessary or helpful to use heavy gauge strings. If it's a good guitar and it's set up properly, and most importantly, if the player pays attention to his technique, just about anything can be made to sound good.

I really have a beef about this whole "Use heavy strings because Ancient Master So And So did," thing. I'd rather lighten up on the string gauge and be able to play in my old age than have six stringed "art objects" collecting dust on the stands while I reminisce about what I used to be able to play.

I really have a beef about this whole "Use heavy strings because Ancient Master So And So did," thing. I'd rather lighten up on the string gauge and be able to play in my old age than have six stringed "art objects" collecting dust on the stands while I reminisce about what I used to be able to play.

While I happen to prefer medium and heavy gauge sets, I think that following what someone else used "just because" is a bum steer, and that everyone should find and use what works for themselves.

There are qualities of tone and feel that heavier gauge strings have that cannot be copped with light gauge strings, -AND- there are qualities of tone and feel that LIGHT gauge strings have that cannot be copped with heavies! Besides that, good set-up and technique are everything.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I found a place to play the 5th Avenue. I was quite impressed with it. Acoustically it sounded very good and even better plugged in. I'd prefer to have a bridge pickup and stealinga feature from some Gretch's I've played a master volume knob. The real killer for me was the lack of a cutaway. Just doodling around on the guitar I found myself wanting to go to the upper registers and just not being able to get where I wanted. That would probably drive me crazy before I adapted to the lack of cutaway.

I rarely get up there much really. Never understood the fret counting thing. My buddy at work is always askin that question and thinks I'm crazy cause I don't know exactly how many frets are on all my guitars. :laugh:
We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

I found a place to play the 5th Avenue.

...I'd prefer to have a bridge pickup...

...The real killer for me was the lack of a cutaway. Just doodling around on the guitar I found myself wanting to go to the upper registers and just not being able to get where I wanted. That would probably drive me crazy before I adapted to the lack of cutaway.

They make a version with two pickups and a cutaway, too-

the Godin 5th Avenue CW Kingpin II:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/images/1-04-10/5th_Avenue_Kingpin_Cutaway_II_Burgundy_033560000249_1.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm about to install a set of .0105-.048 strings on my dad's Epiphone 335 Dot. I put the same set on my Laguna LE200 electric. They're in between a .010 and an .011 set in terms of tension and feel. Not to mention the tone... it's tighter and more dynamic, but not too hard to play. I can tune a set down to C# or C standard (1 1/2 - 2 steps down), and it stays in tune.

There's no wound 3rd on this set (D'Addario EXL110+).

Nice picture Caevan...the cherry finish with the top and bottom binding looks really cool...this would be the best model for both sound and playing on the higher frets, but somehow I think that the single without the cutaway has that older vibe...
Take care, Larryz

• 2 weeks later...

Archived