Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pitchbend / modulation for wheel-less live rig

carter_

Problem: To add pitch bend / modulation control of soft synths to a wheel-less live rig.

Rig: Nord Electro 2 (73) + laptop

I use the Electro for its organ and piano but also to control a few soft synths from my laptop - which, without standard pitch or mod control, is a bit limiting.

Options:

(1) Add an inexpensive 2nd keyboard (like an M-Audio Oxygen) to control the laptop.

I'm considering this, but hesitant as I really want a 2nd keyboard to be a weighted digital piano (like the new Yamaha CP 50 or upcoming Nord Piano) which also won't have mod wheels and I'm reluctant to consider an eventual 3-keyboard rig.

(2) Add just a midi controller for params such as pitch and modulation.

I'm looking for good alternatives here.

Here are other postings on the topic:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-14997.html

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Forum/6/topic/003572/Number/0/site_id/1#import

The Killamix Mini looks great

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/midicontrol/kmix-mini.shtml

but is obviously expensive for what it is. It's the only solution I've found, however, that looks like it would fit well into a stream-lined live rig.

(3) Get an 88-key weighted midi controller or workstation instead of a digital piano.

Considering this also, but I'm unimpressed with the 88key midi

controllers (in terms of key action and portability) that I've tried and want to avoid hauling around a heavy keyboard (I have a Kurzweil K2500 and it never leaves home).

The Nord Stage would obviously fill the bill, but they're a little pricey and I already have an Electro.

. . . So that's my "problem".

Anyone else in a similar situation or any random thoughts from anyone?

Thanks!

U1 | NP | NS3 | NE3 HP | K10

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested in this as well, as I recently bought an inexpensive Casio that works great as a basic midi controller, but doesn't have any aux effects options. And all I do is some basic vibrato and leslie simulations that are already programmed in my sonic cell patches, so all I need is one little wheel or pedal.

For the OP, I do have a very good 44 lb 88-key weighted controller for sale - an older SL-880 Studiologic.

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

I had a similar situation. I bought a Privia 330 w/pitch wheel but now I find myself wanting a modulation wheel. You may be able to do it with a BCR2000

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

I'd go DIY. Find a cheap used midi keyboard, 25 keys or so, open it up, take the circuit board and the wheels (maybe some knobs too), put them in a box. The whole idea is worthy if you manage to find a very cheap board, maybe one with damaged case or broken keys.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Archived