Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Writing horn arrangements for salsa

frogmonkey

Beautiful post Dave! That gives me a lot of insight and ideas, and some of your points are perfectly timed-- like trumpets not blending in 5ths. I've been wrestling with that, but I hadn't really zeroed in on it.

Personally, I feel that it's a wasted opportunity just doubling and not using those additional horns.

I hear you. However, it's really a matter of wanting to use my time to write new arrangements, instead of re-writing existing ones.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I feel that it's a wasted opportunity just doubling and not using those additional horns.

I hear you. However, it's really a matter of wanting to use my time to write new arrangements, instead of re-writing existing ones.

Ironically, if you simply double lines with the same instrument it can make the overall effect sound thinner. By making each line more prominent, it often draws attention to the fact that the harmony is only 3 part (or whatever). Obviously it's not as simple as that, but just warning you that doubling may make your arrangements sound worse, not better...which is why I'd rework them.

Archived