Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Boom Mic Stands

Mike Warren

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not sure what you mean.

But mine loosens where you adjust the angle of the boom. If you have the boom fully extended and a heavy mic then it will tend to sink downwards towards the keyboard during the course of a tune. Even if you do it up tight as poassible.

I solved this by hanging a plastic bag at the other end of the boom with a couple of 1kg weights inside. ugly but functional.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Yep, I've seen that problem too and was hoping someone might have actually designed a decent stand/boom.

The problem I'm talking about is where you push the boom away from you and then bring it back the height adjustment loosens so the slightest bump sends it flying away.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

There is such a thing, but not cheap:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SB36W/

I worked in broadcast TV a while back - the really big booms are priced in the thousands, but they will absolutely stay where the boom operator puts them, and have such nice extras as the ability to operate a wheel that turns the mic around at the other end.

Things to look for in other brands (not sure if Atlas is available down under): Note the way that the center angle is made, so it can be locked down and will not change angle. Note the heavy enough counterweight 0 the boom should be long enough that it can be used when set so that the mic on one end and the counterweight at the other exactly balance each other.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Not sure the brand, but mine works just fine. I got it for about $25 at a GC a few years ago, and it's been the best stand I've ever had.

Rather than the typical tightening ring, it has thumbscrews to tighten the height adjustments, They don't come loose. Plus the boom angle adjustment is racheted, so it stays put. The boom is long enough where I can have it come from the side and still put the mike where I want, but it breaks down very small for transport.

I'll have to look to see what brand it is.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Not for everyone, but what about using a headset?

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

On Stage Stands has a mic arm attachment that holds my big old ribbon mics with no sag ever. A kit with the clutch and three extension arms (like 7, 13, 19 inches or something like that...) costs about $20-25.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

The problem with booms is that people move them without loosening them, and so they get stripped out and just don't work right.

Mine is tight as a drum and never creeps down on me. Why? Because I bought it brand new, and never let ANYONE else use it. If someone even looks at it funny, I stop them. And I never adjust the position without loosening and then re-tightening it.

Works great.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Mike,

I've approached this problem a different way. I use a small adapter that fits into the back support of my On-Stage Z stand. I don't carry the base of the mic stand with me, just the adapter,a short extension and the boom. Also bought a mic cable with and on-off switch built in so I can turn my mic off for songs that I don't sing. I leave the boom in place without pushing it away. The boom is also fitted with a shock absorbing mic clip so there's not too much vibration/noise from my pounding on the keys.

Just another way to look at it.

Pete

"all generalizations are false" ~Mark Twain

Kurzweil K2000, ME-1 and (2)PC3, Casio PX-350 AND PX-360, EV sXa 360

I've been using these as a sound contractor for years: Atlas adjusable boom for around $50 Very sturdy, good counterbalance.

Mark

I like the telescoping boom and will see if I can find one here.

There is still the problem of the actual stand. I can see the height adjustment being a trigger arrangement rather than the rotating collar they all seem to have. If designed right it would still allow rotation with some resistance, but wold not come loose.

Not sure the brand, but mine works just fine. I got it for about $25 at a GC a few years ago, and it's been the best stand I've ever had.

Rather than the typical tightening ring, it has thumbscrews to tighten the height adjustments, They don't come loose. Plus the boom angle adjustment is racheted, so it stays put. The boom is long enough where I can have it come from the side and still put the mike where I want, but it breaks down very small for transport.

That would be good, thanks.

That would be good, thanks.

Turns out there's no brand name. So, here's what I'm talking about.

Like Sven noted, the issue is with the tightening "ring" on the stand. So this stand is a bit different, and has a thumbscrew instead.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4381034656_9ca0d6296a.jpg

Here's a closer view

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4381034750_8aedf6ea27.jpg

The boom angle is racheted, so there's no movement

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2702/4381034890_041040cdce.jpg

Then again, try moving it to the other side, so when you pull it back, it tightens.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Mike,

I too have this problem with my stand. When I'm not singing I push it out of my way and yes it tends to get loose and ends up lying on top of the top board. I have been looking for a replacement, but so far everything I've seen looks like it will drop.

I'm about to put a bolt in or below the extension pole so it's always set at the same level.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Turns out there's no brand name. So, here's what I'm talking about.

Thanks Ronnie. I remember seeing something like that 30 years ago and it was old then. :) So far, the models I've found in Australia are all of the same basic design as the ones I already have.

Then again, try moving it to the other side, so when you pull it back, it tightens.

The same thing happens no matter which way it swings since I push it away I then need to pull it back.

It's not like this is any sort of major crisis, so if I can't find anything good I'll just continue as I have for years.

I'm about to put a bolt in or below the extension pole so it's always set at the same level.

Drilling a hole would weaken it, but perhaps a clamp would at least stop it dropping. A hose clamp would be easy to try, but of course, won't solve the other problem.

Mike,

Have you considered adding a gooseneck on the boom? That way if you want to push the mic away it can be done without moving the boom, stand or base.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Mike,

Have you considered adding a gooseneck on the boom? That way if you want to push the mic away it can be done without moving the boom, stand or base.

Thanks for the suggestion. A gooseneck is not practical as it won't move the mic far enough away. Also, my experience with goosenecks is that they tend to droop, especially long ones.

Here is a stand that gets the base and the adjustment issues right. . .manufactured by a friend: http://www.latchlakemusic.com/new_stand.html Not too practical for club work though :)

But he does makes something that may help some live performers, if not the OP: http://www.latchlakemusic.com/jam_nuts.html

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

I've never had this 'lowering' mic stand problem. Here's what I do:

The boom on most mic stands attaches via threading onto the vertical telescoping support (see my wonderful illustration, I'm trying to outdo Sven :P:D )

micstand.PNG

What I do is loosen the jam nut so the top half of the boom rotates on the threads. With the top rotating independently of the telescoping section, there's no force to be transferred to loosen the collar.

There's usually at least a half inch of thread on the telescoping part, and since the boom doesn't have to move that far to get out of the way (I doubt anyone would need to move it more that 90 degrees) there's still plenty of threads engaged to hold everything together. Just check it occasionally to make sure the top isn't working its way completely off the threads or re-tightening itself.

I haven't had any problems with the threads wearing yet over my 5 year gigging career.

Of course, with this solution top moves pretty easily so an accidental bump could send it flying. I only sing backup, and don't sing that much, so it doesn't bother me since the mic is away from my face most of the time anyways.

Archived