Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two bass clefs

Eric Jx

I thought it would be fun to learn "Toccata and Fugue in D minor" as I currently only know the opening riff.

I downloaded the sheet music, and there are 2 bass clefs.

I'm assuming the lower bass clef is for the organ foot peddles (which I don't have).

Is this the case?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy. Bach constructed his compositions so perfectly, that to just leave out a part is kinda like taking the hot girl out on a date and shoving her out at the curb instead of walking her to the door.

Not to mention at least one place in the Toccata and also in the Fugue when the pedals are completely solo.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

abso-tively

Pedals not only solo - but RAPID fire solo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxeIa8eY9iQ

Just gotta kick pedals for that music.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Boy. Bach constructed his compositions so perfectly...

I was surprised to read that there is some debate as to whether Bach was the composer for Toccata and Fugue in D minor. I have to admit that I don't know Bach well enough to make an informed judgement. They claim that the parallel octaves in the intro would be out of character for Bach. Also the counterpoint is simplistic as compared to Bach's other works.

I was surprised to read that there is some debate as to whether Bach was the composer for Toccata and Fugue in D minor. I have to admit that I don't know Bach well enough to make an informed judgement. They claim that the parallel octaves in the intro would be out of character for Bach. Also the counterpoint is simplistic as compared to Bach's other works.

I've never heard about any controversy. Admittedly the D moll T&F isn't his most difficult or sophisticated (check out the 5 part St. Anne's Fugue for that), but he wrote for all difficulty levels, e.g. WTC. In fact, he was such a prodigious improviser, that he might have improvised the whole thing and written it down later.

When you study all the rules for voice leading and proper harmonization that Baroque composers were saddled with, and realize that Bach was creating this magnificent music so effortlessly, it is truly humbling.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

When you study all the rules for voice leading and proper harmonization that Baroque composers were saddled with, and realize that Bach was creating this magnificent music so effortlessly, it is truly humbling.

Definitely - My time in music theory reminded me of simple things - like calculus and differential equations. Bach did refer to some "rules" in a surviving manuscript - I personally wonder just how many of the "rules" taught in today's music theory courses were derived backwards - by stuying Bach and other composers of the time.

I have long held the personal theory that high-level musicians of the Baroque period, the kind that would be invited to play in some noble's court far from home - especially Bach - had the ability to improvise brand new work during their concerts, and then remember enough of it to notate it later.

I wouldn't even want to think about having to completely analyze and write a paper on the St. Anne's Fugue.

Anyoe notice just how FAR down the keys went when depressed on the 4-manual organ that Diane Bish was playing on the second YouTube link I posted? Its gotta be a lot easier to play fast on a B3 with the very slight effort and key depth required.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived