Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NCAA Basketball 2009-10

Magpel

I know not everyone is thrilled by the SuperOmniEverything of the new Big East...but next Saturday's game between Syracuse and Villanova sets up to be the most important single regular season game in the country this year. The winner has a stranglehold on a 1-seed.

Syracuse had been flat through a number of wins, then got nicked by Louisville. They bounce back with a road win at top-ten Georgetown (a game in which the Orange nearly blew a 23-point second half lead). They've got one "gotcha" game before 'Nova.

'Nova is an absolute elite team. I think they are a hair better than syracuse--but even so they don't exactly fit the profile of teams that give Syracuse the most problems--well they do in one respect: they stroke it. Great guard play at 'Nova. 'Cuse tends to struggle more with really physical teams, though.

The Big East is super loaded, but there's no doubt in my mind, not a one, that Kansas is the best team in the country. I am not sure who beats them this year.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go Terps! :thu:

[because I wanted to give more than just a +1 or whatever!]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I know not everyone is thrilled by the SuperOmniEverything of the new Big East....

I am. The Big East rules baby! 5 teams locked in a tie for 8th place and every single one of them better than the PAC-10 champ.

UConn and West Virginia on tap for Monday Night. I need to get those UConn spirit girls into Bob Huggins room with some refreshments before the game. Maybe take him out for some blues and ribs and blondes at Sally's during Happy Hour.

The Big East has a 1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4 seed and 5 seed wrapped up this year. The 1 seed will be a 3 seed overall, the 2 seed will be a 5 seed overall, the 3 seed wil be a 9 overall and the 4th seed the 15th overall on the S-Curve to avoid matchups until the Final Four :)

Yeah, unfortunately I missed Saturday's game. Last one I got to see was when Duke blew them out in a way that reminded me too much of last year's loss.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Syracuse #1!

I mean, I know it means nothing in the big picture--only the NCA tournament does--but it is still pretty exciting. I'm a big fan, but I don't get in on it early. This year, I did, and have barely missed a game. I love this team.

What's so funny is the way the media is still billing this team as "Wes Johnson and Syracuse," when Johnson has been in a protracted slump and Syracuse has shown itself to be all about balance--Heck, I would say Rick Jackson and Andy Rautins have been their best players of late.

Anyway, I'd like to see them finish out the season in style with wins over St. Johns and Lousviller (thereby completing an UNDEFEATED season on the road--reminds me of my NYG two years ago). They've already secured the double bye in the Big East tournament, which means significantly less wear and tear and significantly lower chances of playing themselves out of a #1 seed in the NCAAs.

And your team?

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

The Terps are in the top 25 again (of both polls). I'm happy. :thu:

Terps beat Duke to tie for the lead in the ACC standings. I just got happier. :D

Can anyone explain to me what happened to the Tar Heels this season? I haven't been keeping up and have been really surprised to see how badly they've done. While I know they lost some key seniors, I figured they'd do better than this.

• 2 weeks later...

So I guess the Heels have no excuse. Enjoy the NIT! ;)

As y'all know, I'm a Terp. But I got my master's degree from University of Houston. More significantly, Lori went to UH the same time I was going to Maryland. This year, the Coogs made it into the tourney via winning the C-USA championship. It's their first trip since '92. Guess who they're playing in the first round?

We are going to have some fun Friday night at our house. :D

Kansas wins the #1 rpi conference regular season by three games and cruises through the big 12 tourney. Gets to play within driving distance for the first rounds (OK City) and regionals (St Louis).

I'm likin' our final four chances in spite of a tough Midwest bracket.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Roy Williams is killing UNC. He's the highest paid coach in the NIT (I say that because he saved our Jim Calhoun from that dubious honor).

Tom Penders, Houston Coach, is a former UCOnn player. Houston has a fan club here in CT.

The bar discusion this year is just how bad the PAC-10 really is. Arizona State got beaten by a bottom seed in the NIT at home. California is in trouble with starting forward Omondi Amoke suspended. I don't think they match up well with Louisville. Cals' rebounding is poor and Louisville has a decent pressure defense to create TOs and steals. Cal has two wins against NCAA teams--powerhouse Murray State and went 1-2 against Washington winning at home.

Washington has 3 wins against NCAA teams--two of them California.

AS they say here in the East--the best college basketball team West of the Mississippi is the Lady Cardinals(Stanford)

It took me awhile, but I was able to figure which conference had the best winning percentage in the NCAA tournament. That is arguably the best measure of the relative strength of each conference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament_all-time_team_records

I had to go through and manually add up long columns of numbers, so this isn't gospel. Here's what it showed through 2009:

ACC 279-215 (.565)

Big East 476-340 (.583)

Big Ten 318-205 (.608)

Big 12 279-228 (.550)

Pac 10 251-172 (.593)

SEC 299-198 (.601)

That's sure not what I would've guessed. The Big 12 is weighted down by Nebraska (0 for 6, the most losses without a win of any major conference team). They even lost one year as a three seed, fer Gawd's sake.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

My undergrad Alma Mater, U Florida, lost in double OT! :cry:

Great game tho..

Gotta love March Madness, even if your team loses. :thu:

Some great games today! Can't say as I enjoy it much when my guys cash out early, though.

I did pick Old Dominion and Murray State, but that's balanced out with having Richmond win twice in my bracket (ouch).

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

You guys should have heard me rooting for Robert Morris this afternoon. :cool:

I love this stuff.

Admittedly, I tune in to basketball during March Madness and the NBA playoffs/championship.

Anyway, I watched Georgetown lose to Ohio U. The Hoyas had no D in that game.

Joe, I know you have mixed feelings about it but I do hope Maryland gets past the 1st round. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I don't have mixed feelings. Go Terps! :D

If the Coogs beat the Terps, I'll root for them then.

During the New Mexico/Montana game last night, they said the most number of double digit seeds to win on the first day was six, back in '91 or '92 (I forgot). Yesterday, five double digit seeds won.

There were three OT games yesterday. Last year, the entire tournament had two OT games.

It was a great first day of tournament basketball. :thu:

The tournament is great for the teams selected. The players get a chance to live out a dream.

Despite seeding, the upsets make it interesting IMO. So, I think it is bad to run a headline that reads "This is Terrible" in response to Northern Iowa beating Kansas.

That is disrespectful to the winning team and athletes expected to exemplify sportmanship. It also further deflates the athletes on the losing end especially considering the expectations placed upon them.

Regardless of outcome, there have been good games in the tournament so far. I'm looking forward to more. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I seriously think there is nothing better in sports than the first two days/first round of the NCAA basketball tournament. Not even the second round, nor the final four. I mean, where else do you get two full days of games, lots of close endings, upsets, and watching kids have the time of their lives?

To me, the second round is a let down. I find myself wondering, where are all the games? :)

To me, the only sporting events that surpass the NCAA Tourney are the Ryder Cup and World Cup Soccer. Some of that greatness comes from the fact that they're not every year events, however, so you gotta give big-time props to the NCAAs. Of course, when you're on the losing end of a buzzer-beater like my Terps were today, all that "first weekend" excitement can be a big friggin' buzzkill!!

As a fellow Terps fans, I know you feel my pain, Joe.

Yeah, at least they won the first round. I was disappointed when it seemed like the entire game was a loss, but they really got my hopes up at the end. They really broke my heart. Still, I be cheering again next season! :)

There were a lot of great games all weekend.

The West Virginia / Kentucky game was trippy. WVU was ahead at the half 28-26...with ALL their points coming on 3-point shots. That's right, they didn't make a single 2-pt. shot the entire half. They also didn't have a point guard, but managed to somehow gut out a win. Trippy game, but a win well-deserved.

Kind of a nice redemption for Bob Huggins too.

His late 90s image as the "Son of Tark" the "King of the One and Dones" seems to be forgotten.

Sportng News kind of summed it up in January:

>> Huggins' players graduated at a far higher rate than generally believed -- admittedly not hard to accomplish because generally it was believed none of them did -- but his indifference and the university's incompetence in fighting that reputation led to Cincinnati's gaining an unfortunate degree of notoriety in the eternal academics-vs.-athletics debate.

Several players' brushes with the legal system didn't aid his cause. And Huggins' vicious sideline demeanor, with TV cameras never missing his most colorful explosions, helped turn him into college basketball's most reviled villain.<<

Will Duke win or will we have no #1 seeds in the Final Four this year? That's a big "wow" if that happens. And very cool for the guys who fought their way to the final weekend.

In 2006 the #1 seeds failed to advance.

George Mason, a #13 seed, upsetting UConn in the Elite 8 was the Cinderella.

Mike Izzo is making another bid to join Boeheim and Calhoun...

Baylor is all that's left to represent the West of the Mississippi ....them and the Lady Cards....

Archived